Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by djsunyc »

i have a feeling dougiecoop is going to be dougiecoop until the very final episode.
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

BigEd wrote:
dreamshake wrote:Anyone else love that Lynch put Heidi's giggle in the mix near the end of the credits when she laughs at something her customers say?
I would pay $100 for software that could detect and remove Heidi's "giggle" from all future viewings.
+1
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

The Brown Lodge wrote:
BigEd wrote:
dreamshake wrote:Anyone else love that Lynch put Heidi's giggle in the mix near the end of the credits when she laughs at something her customers say?
I would pay $100 for software that could detect and remove Heidi's "giggle" from all future viewings.
+1
(lifts a Mason jar of moonshine) "Mr. Brown Lodge. Mr. Brown Lodge."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

djsunyc wrote:i have a feeling dougiecoop is going to be dougiecoop until the very final episode.
Could be. Maybe he finally regains all his memories in the very last scene.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

djsunyc wrote:i have a feeling dougiecoop is going to be dougiecoop until the very final episode.
end of next episode. theres a 2 week cliffhanger. perfect time to do it.

next episode will tie up the stuff in vegas and maybe also south dakota.

after the break, it will be like a season 2 of the season 3.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

mtwentz wrote:
Could be. Maybe he finally regains all his memories in the very last scene.
I sure hope not. That would be a classic network TV "come back next season" trick.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

My hunch now is that indeed DougieCoop remains in that state til the last episode, but that we actually see Cooper somewhere else in the interim. We've already seen the proper Cooper in places we recognise, and at least one place that we don't recognise, so something is going on that I don't understand.

Then they would use this as leverage for a fourth season where Cooper is actually back in the "real world" solving crimes.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Ah- just read your post properly Big Ed. You said basically the same thing.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

It seems that more and more people have been thinking that the "real" Cooper won't return until the final episode, and I just gotta say that I don't see it happening that way. I think he's going to come back much sooner than that, not in full Cooper mode, but wiser, more somber, a little dazed still, but the real Cooper nonetheless. I have no reason to think that, other than thinking that there's plenty of story to tell in which Cooper has control of his faculties and is dealing with the 25 years he's missed and the evil his doppelganger has wrought, and I think Lynch would want to tell that part of the story. Plus, Dougie Coop has already made stride upon stride, albeit briefly yet strategically placed within the story, and I'd think those teasing moments of his brief returns are at an end as he's about to enter his next phase of awareness.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

The question is how dedicated are Lynch and Frost to exploring this theme of identity formation, the growth from human infancy to adolescence and then adulthood? If they're really interested in that, then we may see various stages of memory and growth for Coop. The Dougie infancy stage, then something like adolescence, and then only towards then end full memory and adulthood.

Or are they just holding off on the cliche of memory suddenly flooding all back, or mostly, in?

I tend to think they'll wrap Dougie Cooper up by the end of E8, but anything is possible.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

He could become much more lucid soon, knowing he is certainly not Dougie, but still foggy on who he is... More flashes of familiar faces... I think he's going to be more Cooper like when he tussles with Belushi for a few episodes.

I still have no idea how Coooer and Mr. C will interact without overtones of Superman III, which is not a good thing. But I have no doubt this was primarily one of the major plot points Frost and Lynch have mapped out much more interestingly.

Also interestingly, Coooer says, "I understand" about Richard and Linda... This might deal with out of sequence time okay, or Cooper somehow internalizes the memories and feelings of Mr. C.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I think Cooper has to return to his relative self pretty soon because of all the villains and goals set out before him by the writers.

Defeat Ike. Done?
Defeat the Mitchum brothers.
Avoid further assassination attempts.
Defeat his co-worker Anthony Sinclair
Defeat DoppleCoop/BOB
Defeat Red/Richard
Find Laura
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

So interesting to take stock of the trailer footage up to this point. I really want to know what the weird stairs scene is all about. Also, maybe some all the trailer footage so far is from the first half of the series, and some new promo drops during the break before the second half...?

Also: in that close up shot of Coop in the one trailer, he's got his FBI pin back on! So....
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Maybe the stairwell climb is in his "house", the same dwelling he started the season with the Giant/????

Maybe if Cooper defeats hus shadow self, he also reverses the DNA of his possible son, Richard?
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

I think as we reach the half way point Dougie will defeat his doppelganger and Coop will be restored. Bob will retreat to Twin Peaks (maybe to Richard Horne) and that will prompt Coop to return home. How Bill Hastings and headless Major Briggs fit into this theory I can't even begin to guess.