Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I can’t recall if anyone has mentioned this, but Lynch mentions Laura’s “Annie” diary entry being found as a S3 plot point in the Chris Rodley interview book, way back in the mid-1990s. So that plot point was percolating in his head for a good long time! It was so lovely to finally see it realized, even if the diary timeline is arguably screwy. (I did a post on this recently, and I’ve made my peace with it.)

I said in my recent Part 4 entry that the owl fly-by and owl cookie jar in that Part are the only owl shout-outs in TR. i stand corrected; Frank has a little owl statue behind his desk.

The Skype call feels so natural in this era of social distancing, when even SNL are doing virtual episodes! Weirdly, I think Skype may be the one app of this type I haven’t used during quarantine. I wonder why that is! Has Skype gone out of vogue? (I never really used any of these—Zoom, Google Hangouts, HouseParty, FaceTime etc.—before this all started, and I’ve generally been going with the flow of what my various friend groups choose.)

So sad that both Forster and Warren Frost are gone from us. Forster is terrific during the one-sided phone call with Harry. He really conveys a Straight Story-type rapport between two characters we never see meet onscreen. I can feel a whole backstory there. And of course he’s also the audience stand-in, telling Harry to “beat this thing.” It really does not sound like he’s going to, though. :(

I cannot say how much I love love love Albert telling Gordon, “You heard me.” I love that he gets to twist the knife a bit and revel in it. Ditto Dern/Diane and her “Fuck you Gordon” to Lynch.

Gordon mentions that what’s going on with Cooper has to do with something Diane knows about. He doesn’t know how right he is!

Dern is terrific in that prison scene. She conveys trauma so well. Kyle is also great. The way he says, “At your housssssse,” gives me chills. That might be the strongest Doppelganger scene in the series for me. Also note the ongoing theme in TR, and TP, and Lynch’s works overall, of home being invaded. (“It is in our house now.”)

Janey-E is the best. I love that every character is completely cowed by her, from the Fuscos to Bushnell (that look she gives him at the end when he brings up looking at the files is priceless). And when Ike attacks, she just dives right the hell in there without hesitation to protect her man. It’s the Naomi Watts performance I never knew I needed.

I love her line reading when the detectives ask her to describe the car. “Da, it’s a terrible car! Silver four-door cheap Ford! Always in the shop!” Talk about anti-product placement. Ouch, Ford Taurus. :lol: FWIW, this has always been a reliable car in my experience.

David Koechner also cracks me up when he says the car was involved in an APPARENT explosion. Like they’re not quite sure yet.

“Soccer Mom” (played by Tig Notaro’s wife Stephanie Allynne) is one of my favorite super-minor characters in the TP universe. “Douglas Jones, he moved like a cobra!” :lol:

Ben’s story is unexpectedly sad. He’s lost his whole family (except for stoned Jerry, although he too is literally lost at the moment). I love the moment when he’s forced to mouth the name Laura Palmer (one of his many cardinal sins that destroyed his family), and then appears completely lost in thought for a few seconds.

It’s a little weird that Warden Murphy involves so many guards in Mr. C’s escape. Why not just release him himself with no witnesses, and stage it as a jailbreak? Now the entire prison staff can blackmail him!

Sorry, fans of my “Dale’s Diet” feature (if any)...neither the Doppelganger nor our beloved Dougie “DroolCoop” Jones eats or imbibes anything in this one (only the third time this occurs, after Part 1 and Part 3).
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Thu May 21, 2020 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I can’t recall if anyone has mentioned this, but Lynch mentions Laura’s “Annie” diary entry being found as a S3 plot point in the Chris Rodley interview book, way back in the mid-1990s. So that plot point was percolating in his head for a good long time! It was so lovely to finally see it realized, even if the diary timeline is arguably screwy. (I did a post on this recently, and I’ve made my peace with it.)

I said in my recent Part 4 entry that the owl fly-by and owl cookie jar in that Part are the only owl shout-outs in TR. i stand corrected; Frank has a little owl statue behind his desk.

The Skype call feels so natural in this era of social distancing, when even SNL are doing virtual episodes! Weirdly, I think Skype may be the one app of this type I haven’t used during quarantine. I wonder why that is! Has Skype gone out of vogue? (I never really used any of these—Zoom, Google Hangouts, HouseParty, FaceTime etc.—before this all started, and I’ve generally been going with the flow of what my various friend groups choose.)

So sad that both Forster and Warren Frost are gone from us. Forster is terrific during the one-sided phone call with Harry. He really conveys a Straight Story-type rapport between two characters we never see meet onscreen. I can feel a whole backstory there. And of course he’s also the audience stand-in, telling Harry to “beat this thing.” It really does not sound like he’s going to, though. :(

I cannot say how much I love love love Albert telling Gordon, “You heard me.” I love that he gets to twist the knife a bit and revel in it. Ditto Dern/Diane and her “Fuck you Gordon” to Lynch.

Gordon mentions that what’s going on with Cooper has to do with something Diane knows about. He doesn’t know how right he is!

Dern is terrific in that prison scene. She conveys trauma so well. Kyle is also great. The way he says, “At your housssssse,” gives me chills. That might be the strongest Doppelganger scene in the series for me. Also note the ongoing theme in TR, and TP, and Lynch’s works overall, of home being invaded. (“It is in our house now.”)

Janey-E is the best. I love that every character is completely cowed by her, from the Fuscos to Bushnell (that look she gives him at the end when he brings up looking at the files is priceless). And when Ike attacks, she just dives right the hell in there without hesitation to protect her man. It’s the Naomi Watts performance I never knew I needed.

I love her line reading when the detectives ask her to describe the car. “Da, it’s a terrible car! Silver four-door cheap Ford! Always in the shop!” Talk about anti-product placement. Ouch, Ford Taurus. :lol: FWIW, this has always been a reliable car in my experience.

David Koechmer also cracks me up when he says the car was involved in an APPARENT explosion. Like they’re not quite sure yet.

“Soccer Mom” (played by Tig Notaro’s wife Stephanie Allynne) is one of my favorite super-minor characters in the TP universe. “Douglas Jones, he moved like a cobra!” :lol:

Ben’s story is unexpectedly sad. He’s lost his whole family (except for stoned Jerry, although he too is literally lost at the moment). I love the moment when he’s forced to mouth the name Laura Palmer (one of his many cardinal sins that destroyed his family), and then appears completely lost in thought for a few seconds.

It’s a little weird that Warden Murphy involves so many guards in Mr. C’s escape. Why not just release him himself with no witnesses, and stage it as a jailbreak? Now the entire prison staff can blackmail him!

Sorry, fans of my “Dale’s Diet” feature (if any)...neither the Doppelganger nor our beloved Dougie “DroolCoop” Jones eats or imbibes anything in this one (only the second time this occurs, with Part 1 as the first).
I’ve been loving reading your thoughts on each episode, Dale’s Diet included. Just thought I’d let you know!
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

totally , Reinderr.
been enjoying your post all along

eeeeffoc
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

First time I noticed this, but after Ike attacks Dougie and Janey-E, one of the onlookers seems to only have one arm.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 12.58.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 12.58.13 PM.png (509.53 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

This has been remarked upon before, but he definitely does have two arms that can be seen if you look closely enough in other shots.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

LateReg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:14 pm This has been remarked upon before, but he definitely does have two arms that can be seen if you look closely enough in other shots.
Ah, I figured it was already spotted.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

Hester Prynne wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:54 am
garethw wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:I can't take credit for this but this is before and after still photos of when the guy came in asking for either Bing or Billy...
Spoiler:
Done to show passing of time? or is it something else...
I think this is onto something. I never in a million years would have noticed that, but if you keep watching, at the very very end of the credits, a customer gets up from the booth on the far left with a girl. They move to the door, and he turns to face the camera...

Isn't that Bing again?

It's interesting that the tension music (forget what it's called, it's from Season 2, I think) fades in before this happens.
What's the big round thing close to the cake dish on the counter? In one scene it's white. In the other it's red.
turning point of Season 3