Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by AgentEcho »

This was probably my favorite episode of the season so far, and I hope it keeps getting bumped down the list.

The implications of what Bad Coop has been up to are disturbing, but it's in keeping with a character who may be a host for BOB, and certainly what BOB has been established as influencing people to do is no less disturbing. At least the Diane scene and what Lynch did with FWWM gives me reason to believe these elements of the story will be given the gravity it needs to be handled with.

The reappearance of the jail cell specter is probably my favorite moment of the series so far. This specter represents everything I love about Lynch, and I'm looking forward to this thread unraveling the rest of the way.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Cappy wrote:The scene with Ben Horne and Beverly Paige listening to the wall sounds was fantastic. I loved their acknowledgement and investigation of the foreboding sound, and I loved the subtext for both characters. Ben, holding back his lust for his young assistant, and Beverly's awkwardness, which ties into her home situation, but I still feel like there is something else going on with her character. I wouldn't be surprised if her husband's illness pushed her into a situation where she is tasked with watching over the presence(s) in the Great Northern for a shadowy organization. Even when she is snapping at her sick husband, it seems like she's holding back something, or reacting to a hidden stressor.

As for the wall noise, Josie is the most obvious culprit, but the emphasis on the wall reminds me of Audrey's secret peephole....

But it was great to see the old and tired Ben show signs of his younger, more devious self as he fought the urge to make a pass at Beverly.

As I mentioned in my post I think it could be the ancient Native American spirits that likely are all over the Great Northern. There's a lot of symbolism with the wood of the hotel like it build on sacred ground or something. This is going back to Josie being in a wooden door knob. My best guess is it might have something to do with Native spirits but I really do hope it's Josie.
That's a good point, I don't know how deep the show will go into Native American spirits though. I think the Lodge spirits are just Native American spirits, changed over time to reflect their constant interaction with white European settlers. Like these spirits are a constant in all cultures, but every culture interprets them as looking similar to themselves, or some visualization consistent with their understanding of the universe.

What Cooper might see as a dancing dwarf and a long haired man in a denim jacket, a Native American might see as something else altogether.

Also, the wall sounds might be a reaction to Cooper's key returning. Cooper described himself as a "strong sender" of psychic energy, and maybe something in the hotel is picking up on that.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

My final thought of the night: who knew the Double R stayed open so late?! Everyone that left Roadhouse at closing time must have gone to Double R.....
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Cappy wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Cappy wrote:The scene with Ben Horne and Beverly Paige listening to the wall sounds was fantastic. I loved their acknowledgement and investigation of the foreboding sound, and I loved the subtext for both characters. Ben, holding back his lust for his young assistant, and Beverly's awkwardness, which ties into her home situation, but I still feel like there is something else going on with her character. I wouldn't be surprised if her husband's illness pushed her into a situation where she is tasked with watching over the presence(s) in the Great Northern for a shadowy organization. Even when she is snapping at her sick husband, it seems like she's holding back something, or reacting to a hidden stressor.

As for the wall noise, Josie is the most obvious culprit, but the emphasis on the wall reminds me of Audrey's secret peephole....

But it was great to see the old and tired Ben show signs of his younger, more devious self as he fought the urge to make a pass at Beverly.

As I mentioned in my post I think it could be the ancient Native American spirits that likely are all over the Great Northern. There's a lot of symbolism with the wood of the hotel like it build on sacred ground or something. This is going back to Josie being in a wooden door knob. My best guess is it might have something to do with Native spirits but I really do hope it's Josie.
That's a good point, I don't know how deep the show will go into Native American spirits though. I think the Lodge spirits are just Native American spirits, changed over time to reflect their constant interaction with white European settlers. Like these spirits are a constant in all cultures, but every culture interprets them as looking similar to themselves, or some visualization consistent with their understanding of the universe.

What Cooper might see as a dancing dwarf and a long haired man in a denim jacket, a Native American might see as something else altogether.

Also, the wall sounds might be a reaction to Cooper's key returning. Cooper described himself as a "strong sender" of psychic energy, and maybe something in the hotel is picking up on that.
Good points! Only reason I mentioned the Native American spirits is because the two main points the noise was coming from in the room were near Native American artifacts in Ben's office. Also the extensive references to the original settlers of Twin Peaks in TSHOTP.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I'm pretty sure that Richard is the hellspawn of DoppelCoop and Audrey Horne.

I don't think Linda will be related to them though. My weird and unexplained hunch is that Linda will be another character that just happens to resemble Laura Palmer (and be played by Sheryl Lee). That's my hope for the moment, anyway. Because at some point Coop does have to find Laura again, right?
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Curious what the minute count is for time spent in Twin Peaks this episode. Felt like a fair bit (even disregarding the Roadhouse + end credits shot).
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I also thought Linda could be Sheryl Lee in a new incarnation.

Do you think that might be the last we see of Dern's Diane? It seems on the rewatch her arc and role purpose could be complete. And then she filmed Big Little Lies and Star Wars after.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

The random guy who ran into the Double R asking for someone. I believe it was Bill?

Wasn't Bill the guy from last week talking to Carl Rodd who lived with Linda?
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Ben puts the 315 key (my wife bought me one for Father's Day!) in his pocket. Will see see it later ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Audrey Horne wrote:I also thought Linda could be Sheryl Lee in a new incarnation.

Do you think that might be the last we see of Dern's Diane? It seems on the rewatch her arc and role purpose could be complete. And then she filmed Big Little Lies and Star Wars after.
Gosh I hope not! And also Dern was quoted as saying how Lynch really surprised her with this, so I always assumed she would have a decent amount of scenes. But who knows.
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

yaxomoxay wrote:Ben puts the 315 key (my wife bought me one for Father's Day!) in his pocket. Will see see it later ?

Hoping that he brings it to Audrey next week!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Re, the rape theory: Even if DoppelCoop cleaned up after himself well enough that the doctors/nurses/orderlies who were regularly tending to a comatose patient would be oblivious to the fact that she was raped, once the pregnancy became obvious, wouldn't Will come forward about the fact that he saw Coop sneaking around ICU right around the time of conception? Wouldn't he have referenced the pregnancy in the talk with Frank tonight? It seems like most of the townspeople's conversations about Coop express mild resentment about his pulling an Irish goodbye. If Audrey were raped while in a coma at the same time as Coop was seen sneaking around her room, I'm pretty sure the conversation would be a bit different.

As for Diane, MLMT heavily implies that Coop and Diane shared at least one night of intimacy in 1988. I've never particularly loved that revelation, but Mark's brother wrote the book and we've seen a couple of other potential references to that text, so it's possible that the night she's referring to is actually a consensual night she spent with the real Coop before he left for TP.

This show has been so adamantly anti-fan service that the mere mention of the names "Annie Blackburn" and "Harold Smith" feels like a tremendous payoff. Incredible. I hope the casual mention of Annie shuts down all the theories that the inconsistencies in TSHoTP were set up to create some elaborate alternate-universe where Annie never existed. :roll:

All three detectives investigating the car bomb (led by David Koechner) have the last name Fusco. I assume this is just a bizarre L/F touch and not indicative of anything bigger? Then again, the Bing/Riley Lynch thing is weird as hell and hints at some sort of exploration of names/identity crisis.

I have to say, on first viewing, I found the floor sweeping thing absolutely painful, and for the first time I felt myself considering the "Profoundly Disappointed" viewpoint that DKL is actually trolling us (or at least testing the boundaries of what an audience will take before calling "pretentious!"). However, I've been replaying the sequence in my head and giggling. I have a feeling I'm going to be irrationally amused by it on rewatch, now that I know it isn't actually the entire last few minutes of the Part.

I loved everything with Ben. The "hum" scene was so beautifully moody. And Beverly at home was a welcome unexpected glimpse into a new corner of TP. Terrific stuff.

I'm missing the hell out of Hastings/Lillard. When are we going to see him again?!
frompureair wrote:Could Linda be the nurse that took the ring?!?! Now in a wheelchair after facing DoppleCoop?
FWIW, the nurse's nametag in TMP said "B. Roundtree."
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PeteMartell

Post by PeteMartell »

Major Briggs traveling in space at the speed of light would explain his not aging, am I right?

Diane rules. She is the moon, Cooper is the sun.

Loved Jerry Horne stoned in the beginning, that was hilarious.

I loved that at the end we see the diner shot in the same kind of end credits reverie as we had been seeing the road house.

Jean-Michel Renault? Another brother? This is great.

Hawk is figuring it out!

I really, really loved the sound coming out of possibly room 315 in the great northern. Maybe Ben Horne will help put the pieces together and make some kind psychic astral plane connection possible for dougie/coop to reconstitute himself back in his old room? Kind of like Phillip Jeffries did from Buenos Aires to Philadelphia and back?

Wow. Loved loved loved this episode.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Rudagger wrote:Curious what the minute count is for time spent in Twin Peaks this episode. Felt like a fair bit (even disregarding the Roadhouse + end credits shot).
Up to the Roadhouse shot I was thinking it was the perfect episode.
When I saw the never ending scene at the Roadhouse I was livid and even checked the remaining time to the end of the episode.
When jean Michel Renault answered the phone I actually said "They got me" and loved it!

Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

yaxomoxay wrote:Ben puts the 315 key (my wife bought me one for Father's Day!) in his pocket. Will see see it later ?
My wife got me one for Father's Day too!