Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

LiAnn wrote:
4815162342 wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:I hate the term fanservice. Especially in regards to this show. Just because a group of people want something does not make it lesser of value and a cheapened low form of storytelling.
No. I think when it is a problem is when that is the _only_ reason for a particular story/character choice.
Agreed. Fanservice is only really fanservice when there's no real reason, aside from nostalgia or comfort, for a particular narrative decision. Fanservice would be having Mr. Pinkle pop up as the Hit and Run Mom's husband (or something equally silly). Having an emotionally rich, narratively interesting couple like Bobby and Shelly still together after twenty-five years doesn't feel like fanservice to me. After all, there's so much that can still be done with their characters, especially if their relationship continued to grow and strengthen (or worsen) over two-plus decades.

This actually reminds me of a conversation that took place about a year ago in the "Season 3 Hopes & Dreams" thread. Several people were decrying the idea of any new characters being the offspring of already existent TP characters, which honestly seemed like reverse fanservice to me (which is almost worse). When you go out of your way to make sure things don't seem fanservice-y, you actually wind up shooting yourself in the foot. I mean, would it have really made sense for all the original young people -- Bobby, Shelly, James, Donna, Audrey, etc. -- to be single and childless? No. Especially in a town like Twin Peaks, where everybody knows everybody, and people marry their high school sweethearts every day.

Point being, I agree with Mr. Reindeer that any show worth its salt should shy away from unnecessary fanservice; that being said, the fans aren't always wrong to want what they want (i.e. the continuation of certain storylines, relationships, and themes), and a good showrunner/creator should know the difference between the two and embrace the latter.
What if Lynch really liked Pinkle and decided to include him in that cameo? That's not fan service it's the director doing what he wants. I'd be surprised if there was any reason to have Phoebe Augustine play the girl in that room in episode 3 short of Lynch wanting to work with her again and realizing there was no place for Ronnette in the story.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

i read somewhere ppl speculating the dog legs might have belonged to a dog called "Mr Strawberry" , but the way Mr C said "That dog had four legs" makes it sound to me that the dog is just that, a dog, and not Mr Strawberry.

I recon the dog legs have no deeper meaning other than being a way to send a message - blackmail the warden

- - -

how about this, what if Audrey has spent the last 25 years working her own investigation to track down Cooper - OR what if she's been working with / for Mr C for the past 25 years.

What if that's where Mr C and Ray are now going. What if Audrey found out information regarding the good Coop being trapped in the lodge, the manufacturing of Dougie.. and is going to play a major part in trying to mess up Mr's Plan - whatever that may be
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:What do people make of the dog legs? Aside from why the hell you'd use dog legs, who is it that could somehow make bad things happen to the warden if something bad happens to Bad Coop?

There are a few villainous types that have appeared so far, that Bad Coop might have a more traditional working relationship given 25 years have passed, but the dog legs suggests something a little weirder. Perhaps other allies from the Black Lodge (or some other place)?

I guess, or a related note, we've seen envelopes delivered marked with black dots, and red squares appearing on computer screens. These 'correspondences' feel a bit more 'civilised', if still unconventional, and it doesn't seem that these would be directly via Bad Coop (but possibly by someone working for, or with him, if not someone completely unconnected).
Here's how I interpreted this. Mr. C killed the Warden's dog "Mr. Strawberry." He kept one of the legs with his contraband (drugs and gun) and sent the other three legs to associates, along with documentation incriminating to the Warden. The leg he kept is now in evidence. If something happens to him under the Warden's control (i.e. he gets wacked), one or more of his associates will emerge with the incriminating information along with a dog leg that can be DNA matched to the one in evidence. Apparently, this would now implicate the warden in Mr. C's demise, along with whatever else he is guilty of. Not sure how this would all work, but it appears that it was sufficient to cause the warden to comply with Mr. C's demands.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Good point. I had totally forgotten about the dossier! I'm still expecting it to turn up.

I've realised that I have no idea what is going to happen in the next episode, since episode 7 moved so many things forward. I assume Dougie will remain (and I'm increasingly certain that Cooper won't ever come back, or at least not til the end), and Bad Coop will be out and about doing nasty things. Will the New York box make a reappearance? They haven't shown that in ages.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Normonaut wrote:Does the discovery of the dossier predate The Return? Has TP already done her work on it?
That was my assumption before The Return started, but I'm not so sure.
I've been looking for a dossier in every crime scene/scene of crime we've seen so far.
Perhaps the dossier was just a construct of Frost's book? Just as a narrative device.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

Ross wrote:
Normonaut wrote:Does the discovery of the dossier predate The Return? Has TP already done her work on it?
That was my assumption before The Return started, but I'm not so sure.
I've been looking for a dossier in every crime scene/scene of crime we've seen so far.
Perhaps the dossier was just a construct of Frost's book? Just as a narrative device.
See, I wonder exactly that. The only catch is that the dossier is set up as something found at a murder scene, AND a murder relating to the Laura Palmer case and Twin Peaks.... Can't imagine Frost would just drop that in the book and leave it like that. I mean it HAS to fit in somewhere.

Or maybe he would? Slowly finding out just how relevant TSHOTP is as Season 3 moves along.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Anyone else love that Lynch put Heidi's giggle in the mix near the end of the credits when she laughs at something her customers say?
manalicream
Roadhouse Member

Post by manalicream »

Couldn't the dossier be found at the crime scene in dakota if that body ends up being Briggs?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

manalicream wrote:Couldn't the dossier be found at the crime scene in dakota if that body ends up being Briggs?

Uh-oh. Maybe that's what DoppelCoop is looking for and what Hasting's secretary has or otherwise knows about.
manalicream
Roadhouse Member

Post by manalicream »

Isn't Hastings Secretary called Betty or am I going mad?

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

To all those asking about the dossier. The crime scene is dated at the beginning of TSHOTP. I'm not sure if it's a spoiler to say when it's dated, but just check your book out and you can determine whether or not they've found it yet. I assume The Return takes place in 2014, by the way, but who knows.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Rhodes wrote:
Snailhead wrote:. Whoever said that this was the first time the show has truly scared them so far, I fully agree with you. Creepy as hell.
I think that I was the one who first brought up this point of the new show not being scary yet.

I hear that some people were really scared for the first time during this scene. Not me though. I loved the scene, but for me it was more like "really cool" than genuinely scary (like the lamps or hallways in Inland Empire were).
Oh and I take that back, I re-watched Part 1 last night and the final box scene is terrifying. But yeah, overall I hope we're in for more scary stuff!
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

dreamshake wrote:Anyone else love that Lynch put Heidi's giggle in the mix near the end of the credits when she laughs at something her customers say?
I would pay $100 for software that could detect and remove Heidi's "giggle" from all future viewings.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I don't know if the date matters or can help up with the dossier. Except that the person going through it does not have it in the story yet. All the matters in terms of what year it is is that it is twenty five years later, the actual date year is immaterial.

With the Briggs discovery, is there any more weight to Betty on the run with the coordinates actually being Betty Briggs? I think Betty Briggs has been entrusted with vital information.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Agent327 wrote:She doesn't seem to treat Bad Coop any differently than any other person she has contact with, and only goes into shock as she realizes he is acting off during her questioning.
I disagree that she treats Coop the same as everyone else for one reason: when Gordon tells her Coop is in jail, she says "Good." It's one thing to say "fuck you" to former coworkers/acquaintances; it's quite another to coldly express pleasure that her former boss is in jail.
But she doesn't just go "fuck you" to former coworkers/acquaintances as a little quirk. She is genuinely pissed off and acts infinitely colder than any sane person. Think about how scandalously she behaves. It is not close to normal. Not even letting Albert talk to her when he came all the way to see her. Telling random innocent people she doesn't know at all, like Tammy, to go fuck herself too.
If she got burned or neglected in some way by good Coop, romantically or otherwise, saying 'good' wouldn't be a leap at all for a person with the traits she has exhibited.

When Diane is informed that Cooper is in jail, she thinks about it for a while, then says "....good.", a reaction consistent with the rest of her appalling behavior, and notice that her saying that doesn't even surprise Gordon. If this was so different from the rest of her behavior as you say, why wouldn't Gorden or Albert be extremely surprised by it?
Instead, these people who know her well, interpret it as just 'Diane being Diane'. Gordon even notes in the same scene, in relation to another cold remark from her that she has always been that way, so her behavior is not the result of assault by bad Coop.

Also, If you are raped by a coworker, an FBI agent no less, why wouldn't you report it? She'd be partly RESPONSIBLE next time he rapes another random woman or a coworker.
This would be irredeemable for the character of Diane, on top of her disgusting behavior so far (Not sure why fans on the board love her, other than 'it's Diane!')
Additionally, not reporting a rape, yet wanting him to end up in jail makes no sense.

I just don't understand why so many people want to assume that she was raped by bad Coop, without being able to present a clear case.
She could easily have been pissed off by good Coop in some way, especially considering how cold and hostile she is by default, and was back then too according to Cole.
Yet for the assault/rape theory to be true, there are so many factors working against it that it would be pretty bad writing so far if it turned out to actually be true.
Last edited by Agent327 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.