Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Soolsma »

Woah! Excited over the excitement for ep 8. Curious if it's due to revelations or just more mysteries.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Mayday wrote:
Normonaut wrote:
Ragnell wrote:
Some people noticed Shelly getting confused too. I think earlier in the thread we all came down on editing, but thinking on the waitress reactions it has to be something. And that is something weirder than ever happened in the first two seasons. A sign that with two coopers out of the lodge the conjunction is causing even bigger issues?

Either way, from the pacing, and that, and the fact that everything in Vegas is circling Dougie the wildness might not be a single dramatic moment like Coop's awakening or Audrey appearing but the steadily increasing pace and weirdness. Pretty sure all hell is set to break loose in Vegas, maybe all hell breaks loose in South Dakota and Twin Peaks too.
I'm pretty sure she was just reacting to the guy who ran to the door, shouted and ran off again. If the entire clientele had suddenly changed, I think she would have done more than just raise her eyebrows and shrug. Even in Twin Peaks.
This is just a case of using the footage they had, possibly getting it mixed up without noticing.

Both Shelly and Heidi's reactions seem to point to them being either disorientated or not truely believing what their seeing. It's also interesting to note that the footage of Norma in the booth is strikingly similar to the scene in episode 5 where we are first re-introduced to the Double R - the arrangement of the stationary, the misplaced cup on the saucer, the paperwork...

Maybe nothing, but things seem to be looping in the diner...
Their reactions are quite normal...someone entered the Double R, then shouted something and took off...their reaction was to the person shouting, it is quite clear...there is nothing else to read into there...they are not confused that the people in the Double R changed
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Normonaut wrote:
Ragnell wrote:
Mayday wrote:I'm guessing the Double RR "Billy" scene has been discussed and everyone can see how the position of the customers changes from one shot to another, but has anyone noticed how Heidi also 'jumps' from shot to shot - left hand side, to behind the counter, to the top right - finally looking bemused as she goes to pour coffee for her vanishing customers.

The collection of coats hanging by the door also changes.

Weird.... :?
Some people noticed Shelly getting confused too. I think earlier in the thread we all came down on editing, but thinking on the waitress reactions it has to be something. And that is something weirder than ever happened in the first two seasons. A sign that with two coopers out of the lodge the conjunction is causing even bigger issues?

Either way, from the pacing, and that, and the fact that everything in Vegas is circling Dougie the wildness might not be a single dramatic moment like Coop's awakening or Audrey appearing but the steadily increasing pace and weirdness. Pretty sure all hell is set to break loose in Vegas, maybe all hell breaks loose in South Dakota and Twin Peaks too.
I'm pretty sure she was just reacting to the guy who ran to the door, shouted and ran off again. If the entire clientele had suddenly changed, I think she would have done more than just raise her eyebrows and shrug. Even in Twin Peaks.
This is just a case of using the footage they had, possibly getting it mixed up without noticing.
I totally agree with the first part of your post, but the last part about mixing up footage without noticing I do not agree with...It was put there for a reason, maybe it isn't plot related, maybe Lynch and Frost are just having fun, but it is definitely there intentionally
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Josh wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Freaking out right now :shock:
On a scale of 1-10 how much would this forum freak out if it were a musical episode? :lol:
Wouldn't be the first time! There's a show called Lexx that features a protagonist who's been gutted in the same way Cooper has. He's reanimated as a soulless, cold and emotionless assassin.
Spoiler:
At one point he stumbles upon a supernatural opera house floating in space, and the actors there perform his life story as a musical in multiple acts. He is invited to play his former living self in the musical, and it tells the story of his life leading up to the tragic events that resulted in his death. It was extremely unexpected, but very well done.
Devmo

Post by Devmo »

Ross wrote:Odd that Hawk says there were 4 pages missing from Laura's diary. In the original it was so badly destroyed by Harold I doubt they had any idea what was missing.

Also not sure Leland having them makes sense.
The pages were taken from the diary that they recovered from her room, not the secret diary. She started the secret diary after discovering that BOB / Leland had torn the pages out of the diary in her room / was aware of its hiding place.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

In a recent interview Kyle MacLachan gave he said that Lynch has worked on something special for one of the characters, and that this will appear in the next episode. Also, he compare it with Lynch handling the design of that flying ship, where Cooper saw Garland Briggs head.

Well, David ... yes, he was busy with different things if he wanted to add something to the scene, usually it was some kind of design element. He could spend a lot of time on this. He did something. I can not tell, because it will just be in the next episode. But he worked on something for one of the characters. And for a few days no one knew what he was doing - until finally he gave up and told what it was and what it was for. And we then thought: "Ah, well, now it's clear." Also, I think it was he who came up with the shape of a ship that is on top of a glass box hovering in space.
http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/discuss/t ... -no-other/
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

kafa81 wrote:
Mayday wrote:
Normonaut wrote: I'm pretty sure she was just reacting to the guy who ran to the door, shouted and ran off again. If the entire clientele had suddenly changed, I think she would have done more than just raise her eyebrows and shrug. Even in Twin Peaks.

Both Shelly and Heidi's reactions seem to point to them being either disorientated or not truely believing what their seeing. It's also interesting to note that the footage of Norma in the booth is strikingly similar to the scene in episode 5 where we are first re-introduced to the Double R - the arrangement of the stationary, the misplaced cup on the saucer, the paperwork...

Maybe nothing, but things seem to be looping in the diner...
Their reactions are quite normal...someone entered the Double R, then shouted something and took off...their reaction was to the person shouting, it is quite clear...there is nothing else to read into there...they are not confused that the people in the Double R changed

I agree with this completely. It feels very loose and improvised, Lynch's son was horsing around on set during a relaxed night time RR shoot with no real dialogue in it. Which would explain the disjointed unimportant feeling edit: after the people in the diner react to the shouting, the shouter walks out from the back of the room and leans on the cash register. I feel that there's no continuity because there's no significance.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Panapaok wrote:
In a recent interview Kyle MacLachan gave he said that Lynch has worked on something special for one of the characters, and that this will appear in the next episode. Also, he compare it with Lynch handling the design of that flying ship, where Cooper saw Garland Briggs head.

Well, David ... yes, he was busy with different things if he wanted to add something to the scene, usually it was some kind of design element. He could spend a lot of time on this. He did something. I can not tell, because it will just be in the next episode. But he worked on something for one of the characters. And for a few days no one knew what he was doing - until finally he gave up and told what it was and what it was for. And we then thought: "Ah, well, now it's clear." Also, I think it was he who came up with the shape of a ship that is on top of a glass box hovering in space.
Intriguing...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Is there any possibility that Sarah Palmer tore out diary pages at some point in time, possibly to prevent any sort of confrontation between Laura and Leland/BOB? It did not work obviously, but I feel like there is always a lingering possibility that Sarah had some awareness of what was happening, or at the very least suspicion mixed with premonition. If she was in denial of any sort though, I can see her wanting everyone else to share in her refusal to accept the truth.

It still doesn't account for the pages ending up in a bathroom door, but just a thought.

Edit: Maybe WIndham Earle still possesses Sarah Palmer on occasion (like in the Double R during the original finale)?
Last edited by Cappy on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

I wonder if Lynch has cooked up some Pyramid Head from Silent Hill kind of monstrosity for one of the characters. I really want us to return into the depths of the Black Lodge!
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

mtwentz wrote:
Panapaok wrote:

Intriguing...
I guess....I'm starting to think that maybe the episode isn't a game changer, or all that wild, rather we will see some sort of a tribute possibly to a departed actor? I don't know if the hype surrounding the episode is specifically because of what Kyle said in this interview, or is there something else in tonight's part that will be totally wild :?:
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Pinky wrote:I wonder if Lynch has cooked up some Pyramid Head from Silent Hill kind of monstrosity for one of the characters. I really want us to return into the depths of the Black Lodge!
There was a Silent Hill character quote somewhere, you run into an NPC and he says "Monsters? You see them as Monsters?" It makes me think about how Dale, Sarah and Laura see the spirits as people or animals. But Sam and Tracy saw... something really different in the Glass Box. If Dale had actually seen the gray tornado thing, would he have seen the gray tornado thing or a sinister looking human? Maybe someone other than Dale in the Red Room would see some hideous monstrosity where Dale sees the One-Armed Man or the Tree from Another Place?
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by pixletwin »

I think the change of clientele in the RR is prolly just a continuity error in shooting and editing.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

i'm excited for tonight but this can't possibly be due to the 4th of july weekend. the show is filmed with no real schedule for air dates by showtime. they may have an idea but you don't film shows based on the dates they air on tv b/c that can change. episode 8, if it's as nuts as everyone is saying, means it would be nuts whether it aired tonight or 2 weeks ago. this has nothing to do with the long weekend next week.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

djsunyc wrote:i'm excited for tonight but this can't possibly be due to the 4th of july weekend. the show is filmed with no real schedule for air dates by showtime. they may have an idea but you don't film shows based on the dates they air on tv b/c that can change. episode 8, if it's as nuts as everyone is saying, means it would be nuts whether it aired tonight or 2 weeks ago. this has nothing to do with the long weekend next week.
That's true but there is also the possibility that the rest of the somewhat unorthodox schedule was laid out so that this part could fall on this specific weekend because it would leave people talking for a couple weeks.