Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie

David Locke

Re: RE: Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby David Locke » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:28 am

boske wrote:
zeronumber wrote:
Mallard wrote:
I did. Most effective use of music for the series so far, IMO. Also interesting to hear Laura's Theme playing while Andy was waiting on his meeting.

~!!!!!

At Sparkwood and 21
...no,doubt~

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk

Well, one could also argue that Cooper is still sleepwalking as Dougie. Furthemore, the designer drug name is sparkle. Both these have double meanings here.

Pretty certain the "sparkle" Red referred to, that Richard had a taste of, was just cocaine. A certain type of high purity cocaine ("fishscale" it's often called) has an almost shiny, glittery, sparkly look to it. Thus, Red casually referring to the coke by a slang word like "sparkle" makes more sense to me than it being some actual fictional drug literally called Sparkle. I know that Chinese designer drugs were mentioned in that one scene a few ep's back, as being what some high school kid OD'd on, but I don't see why a lot of posters are inferring that this is what everybody in the show is getting high on... unless I missed something.

IMO, "Chinese designer drug" smacks of Fentanyl or a Fent analogue, or some synthetic opioid mix - which is very common these days and often comes from China. However, Richard was hardly nodding off at the wheel and seemed much more like he'd just had a snort of strong cocaine. This would also would make sense considering the prevalence of that drug in Twin Peaks history. Granted, opioids are the most popular commodities these days in the realm of hard drugs, hence maybe the topical kid OD'ing reference; but I just assumed the stuff Red and Richard were dealing in was the same old "Santa Claus" that Bobby/Mike/Laura/Leo/the Renaults, et al, were involved with.

Nitpicking, doubt it matters, but just my $0.02.
Last edited by David Locke on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeepBlueSeed

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby DeepBlueSeed » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 am

What do people make of the dog legs? Aside from why the hell you'd use dog legs, who is it that could somehow make bad things happen to the warden if something bad happens to Bad Coop?

There are a few villainous types that have appeared so far, that Bad Coop might have a more traditional working relationship given 25 years have passed, but the dog legs suggests something a little weirder. Perhaps other allies from the Black Lodge (or some other place)?

I guess, or a related note, we've seen envelopes delivered marked with black dots, and red squares appearing on computer screens. These 'correspondences' feel a bit more 'civilised', if still unconventional, and it doesn't seem that these would be directly via Bad Coop (but possibly by someone working for, or with him, if not someone completely unconnected).
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Wonderful & Strange

Postby Wonderful & Strange » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:58 am

The show establishes that Twin Peaks has a designer drug problem.

Next the show shows Becky doing a drug and then making a strange face, the kind you don't typically see with cocaine.

Then we see the Twin Peaks drug dealer Red who calls his drug Sparkle.

It's perfectly reasonable to infer from this that what we're seeing is a designer drug.

Maybe not, but certainly the evidence supports such a view.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
David Locke

Postby David Locke » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:18 am

Wonderful & Strange wrote:The show establishes that Twin Peaks has a designer drug problem.

Next the show shows Becky doing a drug and then making a strange face, the kind you don't typically see with cocaine.

It's perfectly reasonable to infer from this that what we're seeing is a designer drug.

Definitely possible, but I thought the way Becky acted in that scene seemed pretty consistent with it just being cocaine. Down to small details of keeping it in a vial, snorting a bump off someone's hand, a quick onset and obviously strong euphoria (albeit both exaggerated for TV, as always - but still seemed plausible - we're not gonna wait 30 seconds to make it more authentic, etc). I recall her face being pretty expected for the situation, just had taken a strong drug, but I might be mis-remembering. Anyway, I just think that if it was supposed to be some other designer drug I don't think it was clearly communicated - just mentioning the one kid OD'ing on that doesn't connect it to all the other scenes of drug use IMO, and as I said before "sparkle" is a pretty typical slang for cocaine. But who knows - we'll see, this might end up being a big plot point.
Cooperscoffeecup

Postby Cooperscoffeecup » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:26 am

Hester Prynne wrote:
garethw wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:I can't take credit for this but this is before and after still photos of when the guy came in asking for either Bing or Billy...

Spoiler:
Done to show passing of time? or is it something else...

I think this is onto something. I never in a million years would have noticed that, but if you keep watching, at the very very end of the credits, a customer gets up from the booth on the far left with a girl. They move to the door, and he turns to face the camera...

Isn't that Bing again?

It's interesting that the tension music (forget what it's called, it's from Season 2, I think) fades in before this happens.

What's the big round thing close to the cake dish on the counter? In one scene it's white. In the other it's red.

a reflection of Heidi's cardigan in the 2nd photo. In the first photo Heidi is on the other side of the counter.
DeepBlueSeed

Postby DeepBlueSeed » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:41 am

David Locke wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:The show establishes that Twin Peaks has a designer drug problem.

Definitely possible, but I thought the way Becky acted in that scene seemed pretty consistent with it just being cocaine. Down to small details of keeping it in a vial, snorting a bump off someone's hand, a quick onset and obviously strong euphoria (albeit both exaggerated for TV, as always - but still seemed plausible - we're not gonna wait 30 seconds to make it more authentic, etc). I recall her face being pretty expected for the situation, just had taken a strong drug, but I might be mis-remembering. Anyway, I just think that if it was supposed to be some other designer drug I don't think it was clearly communicated - just mentioning the one kid OD'ing on that doesn't connect it to all the other scenes of drug use IMO, and as I said before "sparkle" is a pretty typical slang for cocaine. But who knows - we'll see, this might end up being a big plot point.

One part cocaine, one part enjoying a drive with the roof down? Yes, it did seem sudden, but maybe Becky is the sort of person who had a desperate need to escape (mentally and emotionally) her situation.

I'd be a little disappointed if it was a special designer drug, because then the drug becomes the focus. It's more interesting to me if the people are the focus, that the drug somehow exaggerates or draws out something about their normal personality.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
bastia

Postby bastia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:37 am

I am very curious to watch the "growth" of Cooper. And I don't mean only about him "waking up" but also about his powers.
We won't never be the man who was before, he lost 25 years of his life in there, but he will (and maybe already has) have something in exchange.
I don't think spirit in the lodge are evil ( some exception, like Bob), they are simply following they own agenda. Lawful neutral and chaotic neutral.

I think we will see some very interesting new supernatural power in coop, more than before. His progression won't stop with him "waking up"

Another thing, Lynch actually said that you sure can watch the show without having seen the previous seasons, but he also said that if you can, you should give a re-watch.
And it is obvious, how can a person know anything about annie or laura without the previous season?

Everything will fall in the right place with continuity, you'll see.

Still, I am sure we will see or hear about Josie in the great northern. Lynch hasn't forgotten about that
MoondogJR

Postby MoondogJR » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:59 am

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
Panapaok wrote:A probably controversial opinion. Chrysta Bell is not very good in this show but she's much better than Joan Chen ever was. :mrgreen:

Sure, but there wasn't apparently a giant Chen bandwagon for people to jump aboard.

I'm sure everyone has an actor or two they like for whatever reason even if the acting isn't amazing. Twin Peaks is full of these average to bad actors. Warren Frost was sometimes horrible. Sherilyn Fenn was often bad but boy, people love her style.

But the hate for Chrysta Bell is strange because she's just as good as any of these people. These Youtube posers need to stop ganging up on her and bullying her. Weak weak pathetic human beings.

Wait, Warren Frost's acting was horrible? :?
"Your log and I are on the same page."
mtwentz

Postby mtwentz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:18 am

crash_and_burn wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Venus wrote:
I can only speak for myself in that I do not hate Chrysta Bell at all or really have any opinion on her as a person. It's just that, as a viewer watching her on a tv show, she can't actually act.

I've never had a problem with any of the actors acting in TP1 and TP2 apart from Bellina Logan who I also thought just couldn't act and Kenneth Welsh who actually could act but acted way over the top at times (even though I suspect he was directed to do that so is rather a moot point).

Why would you single out Bellina Logan. I think she had a total of two minutes of screen time? I thought she was funny.

I think the thing with Chrysta Bell is not so much her acting as her persona. Arnold Schwarzenegger is a bad actor, but he has a likable persona so people pay good money to go see his movies. There is something about Chrysta that turns a lot of people off.

No there's not.

There's something about Chrysta Bell that turns a lot of people on.

See, two can play that game.

I love shitty statistically inaccurate statements like "a lot of people" too.

You should try the word 'some' - it works wonders.

Fair enough, but if you search this forum and other Twin Peaks forum, Chrysta Bell appears to be the most unpopular actor in the series so far.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
mtwentz

Postby mtwentz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:19 am

krishnanspace wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
mtwentz wrote:I am hoping you are right and there is more to Beverly than meets the eye. Maybe there are possibilities in that prolonged look she gave Ben as she was leaving. And the fact her husband is dying...it does seem to set up the possibility she could be so desperate for money that she would work for some unsavory characters.

Why money? Maybe she just like the attention that her husband clearly doesn't give her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Her husband looked exactly like the Cop from Part 2(the cop who is next to Mackley just before Hastings is Interrogated)

Police Chief Mike Boyd is who I presume you mean. I think he is Mackley's boss.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
Daliz

Postby Daliz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:20 am

I think this episode is great. Yrev very Twin Peaks feel, lots of time with Hawk, Frank, Cole, Albert. Andy's scene was good also.

The sweeping scene is brilliant :D I was almost certain that after a couple of minutes of sweeping the credits start to roll but no! :D (no I don't look at the "time left" when watching)

Tammy - I don't know if the acting is bad or not, but I think it all fits. She really seems like a newbie agent trying to be all professional and important and impress her superiors and ends up being a bit.. awkward.

For some reason I don't like Diane too much. Gordon and Albert are, again, great especially in the scene at Diane's place.

Edit. Almost forgot. Cindy! I like her, a lot. The actor and the character. The phone call, and the creepy guy approaching.. very good
Cappy

Postby Cappy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:35 am

Leacock wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:
Cappy wrote:
... it would be fun if there was an episode that stepped back from the main story a bit, where we follow Laura after being tossed out of the Lodge, flying through a distorted version of her own past before ending up wherever she ends up. You just know she's going to come back into the narrative in a big way, it's just a matter of how/when.

I wish The Return was structured like this. For example, we follow Cooper's return to himself in the first 8 episodes or whatever. Then in the next 8 we follow Laura's return. Eventually they both meet again around episode 16 and then the final two episodes are the climax and resolution.

I really do think Sheryl Lee deserves just as much screen time as Kyle.

Keep in mind just how much people loathed that structure when they tried it with Arrested Development.

I personally really liked the format/concept of that season of Arrested Development. The only problem with it for me was the wildly uneven quality of the episodes, with some chapters being amazing (GOB's story, the David Cross stuff), and other chapters being... not as good.
Metamorphia

Postby Metamorphia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:49 am

secretlettermkr wrote:FELLINI, Nino Rota

Not Rammstein... :roll:

Nah, it's definitely not Amarcord. He doesn't whistle the descending part which is what defines the tune.
Cooperscoffeecup

Postby Cooperscoffeecup » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:11 am

Daliz wrote:I think this episode is great. Yrev very Twin Peaks feel, lots of time with Hawk, Frank, Cole, Albert. Andy's scene was good also.

The sweeping scene is brilliant :D I was almost certain that after a couple of minutes of sweeping the credits start to roll but no! :D (no I don't look at the "time left" when watching)

Tammy - I don't know if the acting is bad or not, but I think it all fits. She really seems like a newbie agent trying to be all professional and important and impress her superiors and ends up being a bit.. awkward.

For some reason I don't like Diane too much. Gordon and Albert are, again, great especially in the scene at Diane's place.

Edit. Almost forgot. Cindy! I like her, a lot. The actor and the character. The phone call, and the creepy guy approaching.. very good

The sweeping... towards the end of that I was willing him to hurry up and finish as the music was going to end :lol:

Diane has a big story to tell. Hard to have an opinion either way until I understand what that story is.

While I would love to see our "normal" Coop. I think if we did, we would see less of Gordon and Albert, and that is currently a real treat. :)
Manwith

Postby Manwith » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:18 am

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
Cappy wrote:Also, I found it somewhat unlikely that Beverly had never heard of Laura Palmer before. I get that maybe she is relatively new to Twin Peaks, but Laura's murder is probably one of the only newsworthy events to transpire in that corner of Washington State during the last 50 years. That would be almost like someone saying they didn't know about the OJ Simpson case or something.

It's possible that Beverly sincerely doesn't know, especially considering how reluctant people in town might be to talk about Laura, but I somehow don't buy it.

It depends how much of it went public. There had been a string of murders and, okay, it was revealed that her father had killed her (and her cousin), but unless you'd lived through those events there probably wouldn't have been a great reason for people to bring it up. Particularly if a lot of other noteworthy things have happened in 25 years. It doesn't look like Twin Peaks has been idle all that time, even if many of the new things have a familiar echo of things past.

Also the show has never been good at putting things in context. Was the sawmill fire a bigger news story? If the local enconomy revolved around the saw mill you could imagine it overshadowing the Laura Palmer story if it led to a recession and people moving out of town to find work. Of course we have no evidence either way of how things are remembered by normal folks at Twin Peaks who aren't main characters in the show.

Return to “Parts Discussion”