Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

The Giant is the caretaker. He sent Laura to earth because she is the key. The bomb opened a path between our world and their world. The convenience store is where they meet, the site of the explosion. It's where BOB was born. That's what I took from it anyway.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

What an amazing episode....So many questions...I wonder what Laura's face appearing inside that gold orb that came out of the giant means. Its in disbelief at the whole episode. It really was beautiful. The nuke explosion was great. I admit I'm at a loss at what it all means. Gonna rewatch it right away. I might fast forward the NIN music video, that went on way too long for my liking, otherwise just spectacular episode.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

My very fresh initial reaction is just ... wow , and I'm leaning towards that being a bad wow and a good one . Probably my least favorite part so far honestly .
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

Well I'm never sleeping again, for sure.
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

This is the exact text I just sent myb pops:

I just got done watching what must have been the most artistic, weird hour of television ever created.
Denise's Pieces
Roadhouse Member

Post by Denise's Pieces »

Wow.
Just a thought, but I'm gonna bet this episode will be polarizing.
Endangered_Wulf
Roadhouse Member

Post by Endangered_Wulf »

smh

I love the world of Twin Peaks.

I love David Lynch's fascinating imagination.

...but when it comes to AVANT GARDE visual storytelling.....less is more.
"Fire is the devil, hiding like a coward in the smoke" -Margaret Lanterman The Log Lady
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

djsunyc wrote: i thought the little boy was a young leland but the years don't work out right. maybe the little girl will be leland's mother?
Yeah, i thought that's where they were going with it too. Not so sure now, though.
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

wow. there's never been anything like this!!!! gotta light? this is the water. this is the well. it's time to re-read TSHOTP during the next two weeks!
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Holy.

Went full 2001 meets Stan Brakhage at parts.

Feels like nukes awoke an evil of some kind. Or Bad Coop with Bobs spirit nearly dying (and being revived) was earth tilting.

Was the young woman supposed to be Sarah Palmer being given the seed for Laura? Not sure how much I like retroactive significance but I'll roll with it. The ages would work out as the actress I think was born in 41, and the scene is 56?

Some of the most striking imagery, I can see where their budget went. The "Gotta light" hobo spirit (if that's one and the same) is perfectly horrifying, exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for in this. The editing on the voice just gets under my skin.

Naturally this episode will be a hard rewatch for me though as I'm not avante-gard minded, more of a narrative guy. But holy.
Last edited by Rudagger on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crumble

Post by crumble »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:The Giant is the caretaker. He sent Laura to earth because she is the key. The bomb opened a path between our world and their world. The convenience store is where they meet, the site of the explosion. It's where BOB was born. That's what I took from it anyway.
i think this is more or less what we are supposed to take away from this episode.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

i will say this - that was the most riveting hour of tv i've ever watched. i was glued to the screen the entire time trying to pay attention to everything w/o having any clue what was going on. it doesn't matter if you like the show or not, we just witnessed something that will never be seen again on any form if video entertainment.
The Grey Lodge

Post by The Grey Lodge »

I'm in genuine awe at what I saw. I had no idea Stanley Kubrick was slated to direct episode 8. :D
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Denise's Pieces wrote:Wow.
Just a thought, but I'm gonna bet this episode will be polarizing.
Yeah, looks like it is polarizing already.

C'mon people, this is an 18 hour marathon and we knew Lynch was given full creative control. Every hour of this show was never going to be 'linear'.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
richsmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by richsmith »

That was one of the most brilliant, terrifying and beautiful hours of film I've ever seen. Utterly speechless.