Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by The Brown Lodge »

I wonder if it is still meant to be 1945 when it cuts to the old Giant watching the explosion on the movie screen, or whether the Giant's Room/White Lodge is meant to be outside of time - like at the end of the universe when all the stars are dead and there is nothing left, and he only exists in one instant of time and knows everything simultaneously.

Does causality exist in the white lodge/red room?
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

The idea that Laura was somehow created from The Giant or The White Lodge as a counterforce to BOB really deepens and alters the original 'Who Killed Laura Palmer?' mystery. Was this why BOB was intent on possessing her, so that he could control or destroy The White Lodge through her?

And if BOB was formed in response to the atomic test... how did MIKE come to be?

I guess Laura is the one.
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Framed_Angel wrote: The young girl in all her innocence, closing her eyes to receive a very mild kiss: what happens later seems to indicate the purest manifestations of innocence are the greatest magnets for the evil creepies to "lodge."
I think the young girl represents innocence, hence why she was given the gift of Laura Palmer (I expect her to be born later as her child). So you will have this innocence fighting the "evil that men do".
Last edited by The Brown Lodge on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Who else expected to see Dougie Milford when we went to New Mexico?
Here. And I was convinced Tim Roth would be playing him for some reason.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

so "The Return" is really about laura - she died for our sins and she'll need to resurrect.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

jhoward wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
jhoward wrote:So the crawling insect/frog thing... could that be the thing on Mr. C's playing card?
great first post!!! it might possibly be as that's most likely laura.
Thanks! Not entirely convinced that's Laura, though. Maybe another entity that was birthed that day?
i think the bug is one of two people - bob or laura.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Sorry everyone. Can someone give me an update on tonight's episode? It seems someone slipped me some acid and I missed the whole thing. Did Dougie do anything funny?
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

If the White Lodge does not exist in the same time, and actually sent "Laura" back to the 50s from the future, perhaps it is an insurance policy.

They would know that bob would possess her later, so by "priming" Laura with "all of man's innocence" or goodness or whatever, maybe it is a plan to destroy Bob once and for all.

The woman listening to the gramophone (the mother?) seemed pretty happy and "knowing" when she sent her through that weird trombone portal thing.
Last edited by The Brown Lodge on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

Framed_Angel wrote:When I saw "White Sands NM" I was hoping for some of that back story from TSHOTP to come to life on screen. But that had more to do with owls and alien ships, neither of which has been in evidence in S3.
what you were seeing is "aliens" filtered through lynch. he's never going to do that as saucer men from mars and big eyed greys
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Well, this was a frustrating episode. Just when the other storylines were getting good, we get pretty much no progress on them. There is limited time left and we're still waiting for some of our favorites characters to return (including the actual Agent Cooper). Oh, but instead we'll get 5 minutes of Nine Inch Nails and then a complete mind F from Mr. Lynch.

If they had this kind of budget for special effects, why do some of the previous FX look so bad? They should have spent more on filming scenes with the actual actors so they wouldn't have to do stuff like reuse shots.

I'm not sure how but somehow I missed "the convenience store" scene you guys are talking about. I saw a diner and radio station, but nothing set in a convenience store. What am I missing?
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Esselgee wrote:Well, this was a frustrating episode. Just when the other storylines were getting good, we get pretty much no progress on them. There is limited time left and we're still waiting for some of our favorites characters to return.

why dont you send him a letter?
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

The Brown Lodge wrote:If the White Lodge does not exist in the same time, and actually sent "Laura" back to the 50s from the future, perhaps it is an insurance policy.

They would know that bob would possess her later, so by "priming" Laura with "all of man's innocence" or goodness or whatever, maybe it is a plan to destroy Bob once and for all.

The woman listening to the gramophone (the mother?) seemed pretty happy and "knowing" when she sent her through that weird trombone portal thing.
If that's the case, it really changes the way we've always read MIKE giving Laura the ring to prevent BOB from possessing her.
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

Esselgee wrote: What am I missing?
A lot. Go back and watch it a second time. (Hell I think we all need to do that).
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I can't really properly express my thoughts on that episode... So I'll say, woah.

One thing... If that is the white lodge or heaven... Count me in. 1920s silent film era, everyone looks better in black and white, I like the music. I did ask myself I wonder if you can still eat there, or get take out.

The Woodsman seemed like he was one of the agents of evil, well, obviously... So I thought he was lulling everyone into a slumber so the creatures could crawl into their bodies, make their hearts darker. But perhaps it is unrelated or is related to the bug being Laura.

That Lynch really did a full in Vertigo falling for Laura Palmer.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
DJ Beater

Post by DJ Beater »

It's been mentioned already but the girl is probably Sarah Palmer. It's not just the year that makes sense but then you link in Laura, the white horse (who sees that other than Sarah?) and "Gotta light?" which could be Sarah's reason for smoking fifty packs of cigarettes a day. She's also the first one that saw BOB in the show. I need to re-read Laura's Secret Diary now!