Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by The Brown Lodge »

sylviecerise wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:If the White Lodge does not exist in the same time, and actually sent "Laura" back to the 50s from the future, perhaps it is an insurance policy.

They would know that bob would possess her later, so by "priming" Laura with "all of man's innocence" or goodness or whatever, maybe it is a plan to destroy Bob once and for all.

The woman listening to the gramophone (the mother?) seemed pretty happy and "knowing" when she sent her through that weird trombone portal thing.
If that's the case, it really changes the way we've always read MIKE giving Laura the ring to prevent BOB from possessing her.

I am really starting to believe that the giant is god.
Cstar84
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cstar84 »

sylviecerise wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:If the White Lodge does not exist in the same time, and actually sent "Laura" back to the 50s from the future, perhaps it is an insurance policy.

They would know that bob would possess her later, so by "priming" Laura with "all of man's innocence" or goodness or whatever, maybe it is a plan to destroy Bob once and for all.

The woman listening to the gramophone (the mother?) seemed pretty happy and "knowing" when she sent her through that weird trombone portal thing.
If that's the case, it really changes the way we've always read MIKE giving Laura the ring to prevent BOB from possessing her.
Could you elaborate? Do you mean it makes Mike seem more benevolent? Or something else?
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Driftwood wrote:We saw the origin of the lodge stuff in our world and you people are crying about filler. unbelievable

loved this as a giant f u to everyone who was only just on board with last weeks episode
++++++!

Reactionaries (conservatives) looking for traditional narrative should go elsewhere rather than repeating the same old cliched critiques each week. Critiques that apply to what they know and like: traditional narrative.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I never expected Lynch+Frost to do anything resembling a straight-forward mythology episode that fleshes out the Lodge cosmology and hierarchy like this, so tonight was a really welcome surprise.

Is BOB still inside of DoppelCoop though? I half suspect that BOB is now with Jeffries. Surely he knew that when Ray attempted to kill DoppelCoop, that something like this would happen. Jeffries has spent time in the Convenience Store, and has been to their meetings, or so he claims. It's very likely that the dirty woodsmen characters were acting on his behalf in retrieving BOB.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Esselgee wrote:I'm not sure how but somehow I missed "the convenience store" scene you guys are talking about. I saw a diner and radio station, but nothing set in a convenience store. What am I missing?
What were you using to view this? (Hopefully not your phone).
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

mujubuju wrote:
Esselgee wrote: What am I missing?
A lot. Go back and watch it a second time. (Hell I think we all need to do that).
Can someone give me a time stamp for the convenience store scene? I'm afraid I wouldn't recognize it even if I watched the whole episode again.
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

Cstar84 wrote:
sylviecerise wrote:

Could you elaborate? Do you mean it makes Mike seem more benevolent? Or something else?
Maybe MIKE knew Laura's origins, of being the one to stop BOB. MIKE knows BOB is greedy, so he gives Laura the ring to prevent BOB from being destroyed by possessing her.

Though, will say I'm not completely sold on the idea that Laura being possessed is what would destroy BOB.
Leacock
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leacock »

jhoward wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
jhoward wrote:So the crawling insect/frog thing... could that be the thing on Mr. C's playing card?
great first post!!! it might possibly be as that's most likely laura.
Thanks! Not entirely convinced that's Laura, though. Maybe another entity that was birthed that day?
Makes me think of the Moonchild that Jack Parsons was trying to bring to the New Mexico desert in the 1950s.
soundchaser

Post by soundchaser »

Well, the air is on fire, for sure.

That was incredible. Unlike anything ever seen on television before, certainly. As much as I've loved the show so far, it didn't feel truly groundbreaking - truly vital - until tonight.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

I have no idea what I watched. And I loved every second of it. Every, single second.

Also, I need to find the music that was played on the gramophone asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Esselgee wrote:Well, this was a frustrating episode. Just when the other storylines were getting good, we get pretty much no progress on them. There is limited time left and we're still waiting for some of our favorites characters to return (including the actual Agent Cooper). Oh, but instead we'll get 5 minutes of Nine Inch Nails and then a complete mind F from Mr. Lynch.

If they had this kind of budget for special effects, why do some of the previous FX look so bad? They should have spent more on filming scenes with the actual actors so they wouldn't have to do stuff like reuse shots.

I'm not sure how but somehow I missed "the convenience store" scene you guys are talking about. I saw a diner and radio station, but nothing set in a convenience store. What am I missing?
As much as everyone loved Episode 7, Episode 8 is the episode we'll be talking about and dissecting 10 years from now.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

sylviecerise wrote:
Cstar84 wrote:
sylviecerise wrote:
Maybe MIKE knew Laura's origins, of being the one to stop BOB. MIKE knows BOB is greedy, so he gives Laura the ring to prevent BOB from being destroyed by possessing her.

Though, will say I'm not completely sold on the idea that Laura being possessed is what would destroy BOB.
I am not convinced MIKE is privvy to the giant/white lodge "will", or infact that he is a benevolent character. He could be an independent agent. Finding out where MIKE came from would be interesting.
Cstar84
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cstar84 »

sylviecerise wrote:
Cstar84 wrote:
sylviecerise wrote:

Interesting theory. But yeah I'm not sold on the idea that possessing Laura would destroy BOB. Perhaps MIKE gave Laura the ring to prevent BOB from possessing her so that she COULD destroy him. If he possessed her maybe she could no longer destroy him.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

I'm so torn by this. I want to say I love it and that it's art and Lynch and all that jazz, but I can't. I started getting a bad feeling when NiN appeared and we saw the whole damn song, and that bad feeling didn't really go away.
Yes it seems like we got some origins here, but there was A LOT of footage they could have just skipped. We didn't need to spend THAT much time in the nuke/explosion/universe stuff. Sure it looked good, but... eh.
This is the first episode I didn't love. Will probably be the one I rewatch the least. Loved the White Lodge stuff, even though it dragged on a little. Recognised the floor pattern from the very first scene in E1 immediately.
So I guess Good Coop will die, get there and be sent back or something?
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

The Brown Lodge wrote: I am not convinced MIKE is privvy to the giant/white lodge "will", or infact that he is a benevolent character. He could be an independent agent. Finding out where MIKE came from would be interesting.
Agree, I've never read his actions in FWMM as purely good—they seemed selfish. But now I'm thinking throwing Laura that ring might have meant more than a play in a power struggle for garmonbozia.