Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by thedarktrees »

Philip Gerard's stint as resident Black Lodge waiting room attendant clearly involves some learning on the job -- didn't he tell Dougie "one of you must die"? Not so simple, it turns out.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

N. Needleman wrote:I don't think the poor kids were either Leland or Sarah; for one thing, Leland was not Hispanic.
Definitely don't think that was Leland. However, it definitely occurred to me that the girl was Sarah. She's the right age though admittedly her hair looks different.

I didn't take this to be Sarah physically impregnated with Laura (who was of course 17, not 31, in Feb. 1989). Rather, it seemed more like Laura's essence/spirit entering her as she herself experiences an early sexual awakening.

That said, I suspect something else may be going on.

(To the person suggesting they were Cooper's parents - or at least his mother - now there's a hell of a thought... And the timing IS right for that to be a real impregnation.)
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

mtwentz wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:Did anyone else get Night of the Living Dead vibes from the black and white scenes from the New Mexico town? That is one of my all time favorite movies with that haunting and powerful political/social commentary on humanity at the end.
I was more thinking of films like the Amazing Colossal Man, which actually had a nuclear explosion.

Also, the Giant Gila Monster feeling came in there.
There's more to why I felt this way than the creatures covered in motor oil simply attacking a car like a bunch of zombies. I believe where DKL and Frost might be headed is that humanity is capable of unleashing just as much fear and evil as any lodge spirit (if not more), particularly with all of the nuclear references, and maybe you can count Jacoby's rant in there, as well. Throughout the series, we have been fearing Bob, electrical poles, strange sooted figures appearing in jail cells and walking down hallways - when in the end, it is humans we should fear the most - just as the protagonist in Night of the Living Dead was killed without any remorse by humans - not zombies.

- Didn't mean to get the thread off track with so many awesome things to talk about. Just wanted to clarify.
SoCalPeaksFan

Post by SoCalPeaksFan »

thedarktrees wrote: -The starchild Laura stuff I'm not so sure about. Meh. Middle class white girl as the saviour of all goodness in the world? Eh.... Seems a bit overwrought. Pretty funny that these cosmic beings had her high school prom photo...
Because it would all make sense and fit better with a lower-income black girl, or something? Not sure what you're getting at here. I don't think the picture of Laura is supposed to be taken as literal as you seem to suggest.
zeppo1

Post by zeppo1 »

The bug is not Laura

The bug was hatched from an egg vomited out by Mother/Expeierment years earlier that landed in the desert.

Looks like she spewed up lots of eggs, along w/Bob

sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Please let me see this episode in a movie theater before I die.
I want the whole experience. 18 hours in a movie theater. (To save time we can cut the bands such as the outrageously long NIN song)
Come to Oakland CA! I feel soooo lucky to have seen this episode at the Parkway Theatre on a big screen and with big sound! And yes, they're showing all 18 episodes ... and serving homemade cherry pie! Seeing Twin Peaks: The Return on a movie screen every week is wonderful. Seeing THIS episode on the big screen - that ranks as maybe the best experience I've ever had in the cinema. Bravo Pure Heroin Lynch!! Tonight was a once in a lifetime experience. Poetic filmmaking. I'm in awe.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

sycamore wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Please let me see this episode in a movie theater before I die.
I want the whole experience. 18 hours in a movie theater. (To save time we can cut the bands such as the outrageously long NIN song)
Come to Oakland CA! I feel soooo lucky to have seen this episode at the Parkway Theatre on a big screen and with big sound! And yes, they're showing all 18 episodes ... and serving homemade cherry pie! Seeing Twin Peaks: The Return on a movie screen every week is wonderful. Seeing THIS episode on the big screen - that ranks as maybe the best experience I've ever had in the cinema. Bravo Pure Heroin Lynch!! Tonight was a once in a lifetime experience. Poetic filmmaking. I'm in awe.
Why, you...you bastard! :lol:
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

sycamore wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
So jealous you can see all of these on the big screen ! Wow I would love that.
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

are they selling tickets? Do they have permission? If so, why isn't this happening in LA? If it is happening in LA, why can't someone tell me where?
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

DJ Beater wrote:It's been mentioned already but the girl is probably Sarah Palmer. It's not just the year that makes sense but then you link in Laura, the white horse (who sees that other than Sarah?) and "Gotta light?" which could be Sarah's reason for smoking fifty packs of cigarettes a day. She's also the first one that saw BOB in the show. I need to re-read Laura's Secret Diary now!

Well technically Leland saw him first as a little boy
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yeah, on second thought I can buy that was Sarah.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

Endangered_Wulf wrote:I wish Lynch and Frost would just stick to some ''good-old-fashioned-cohesive-season-one-original-formula-storytelling" :cry:
fuck that shit! that ship has sailed a long time ago :lol:
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

sycamore wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Dang. Lucky you!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Waw. Mind blown.
Not sure what I'm feeling. Thinking that's a good thing.
Waw.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

Metamorphosis by Kafka was quoted, the bug, also the Nuke. Lynch's office foreshadowed all of this.

Anywaye was so freaking scared watching this. I loved it. As I loved 2001 and Eraserhead.

Also.. It was so Metropolis (one of my favourite movie of all time).

I thought about the 'gotta light' hobo. Didn't Leland say BOB entered in him when he was just a boy?
Maybe he did say that he had a light.. ;)
Last edited by bastia on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.