Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Rhodes wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Rhodes wrote:
But I am afraid that Showtime is not going to be fooled for a second time.
Fooled? They made money out of this.

Also, do you honestly think they actually gave him total freedom and a blank check? There was supervision, just very limited on the artistic level. They certainly knew what Lynch was going to do and they probably saw a draft script before paying up for the filming of the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am curious if this is indeed true.

My two cents is that the final cut/result came as a big surprise for Showtime.
Well they probably were surprised by many parts, but there is no way that the professionals and execs at Showtime didn't know a good lot. There is no way that the top execs didn't know the overall journey. They probably didn't know what Mother was, or about the glass box, but there is no way that they didn't hear what Lynch and Frost had in mind. Execs care about money and they would not risk millions just because of the TP and Lynch brand.
It is clear that Lynch was given much freedom compared to a regular TV show (consider this: he was FORCED to solve Laura's mystery!!!), but that doesn't mean that Showtime was clueless about what was going to happen.

anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by anthoto1 »

Should we assume Bob really left Coop's doopelganger at this point ? I'm really wondering how he'll behave in this case from now on.
Yps

Post by Yps »

Probably already posted before,
But Gordon Cole has a large photo of the atomic bombing behind his desk in his FBI office. I think the photo was first shown in season 3.
Last edited by Yps on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meaxylon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Meaxylon »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
Elric99 wrote:
jhoward wrote:So the crawling insect/frog thing... could that be the thing on Mr. C's playing card?
I got the impression that the Mother of BOB might have had little things sticking out of her head... looked pretty similar to the playing card outline IMO.
It will be interesting to see which of those Bad Cooper (or is it BOB?) means when he says "This is what I want..." Does he want Laura, or does he want Mother?
Something that crossed my mind... The way Darya reacted when DoppelCoop showed her the card and asked her about it... she shied away from it, a sort of fear/disgust reaction. It made me think of the part in TSHoTP when Milford is shown the gray being (page 293). He is sick from fear from what he experienced, just being in the proximity of this creature. As if it's some reaction to something really malevolent or pure evil.

So my theory is that he wants "Mother", but what is it he wants to do with it? Perhaps it is power? Windom Earle, when he talks of Dugpas and creating evil for evil's sake mentions evil being a source of power.
Last edited by Meaxylon on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

as much as Part 8 was a total feast for the senses, some of the plot developments dropped are super intriguing.

i’m really stuck on the apparent connection between the voice on the transmitter in Part 2 (DoppelCoop trying to call Jeffries) and the voice of the Woodsman. I don’t think it’s the same voice/person, but it’s processed in what sounds like the exact same way. Something’s up with that.

So: does this have anything to do with the entities that swamped DoppelCoop after being shot? This not-Jeffries voice on the transmitter wanted “to be with Bob again” — was this part of his doing? DoppelCoop gets shot and these woodsmen minions make off with Bob? Maybe for the voice behind this call?

This also makes the whole Jeffries/Ray all the more interesting as well. Was Jeffries out to actually stop Coop? Is Jeffries stuck nowhere and trying to get out?

As for DoppelCoop: maybe he becomes a mindless Dougie blank slate. OR: maybe he goes off the rails and becomes even more dangerous and threatening trying to get back this Bob bubble that was taken from him.

And again, if Philip Gerard says that one of the Coops must die, then what does it take to actually kill DoppelCoop?

crazy episode.
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

Jerry Horne wrote:Please let me see this episode in a movie theater before I die.
Me too. ME TOO!
-
As above, so below.
-
zeppo1

Post by zeppo1 »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
zeppo1 wrote:The bug is not Laura

The bug was hatched from an egg vomited out by Mother/Expeierment years earlier that landed in the desert.

Looks like she spewed up lots of eggs, along w/Bob

Are you assuming this because the egg was not gold?
Yes indeed. The golden stuff that came from the giant coalesced in a golden sphere w/Laura's image that was sent to Earth via that golden saxophone looking thing by his wife(?)

The bug frog hatched from a grey egg shape that was vomited by mother/experiment.

While of course it's impossible to be sure of anything here, I think color and shape play a part here and we were in no way supposed to think the bug frog thing was Laura.
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

This was the first episode where I was shocked when "Starring Kyle MacLachlan" showed up on the screen. Even though this part had a lot of drawn-out esoteric sequences, it seemed to me that it went by very quickly. I wasn't ready for it to be over.

That said, all through the episode I was very aware that this episode would not be well-received by many. It's funny to think that some people were anticipating that the hype for this episode might mean something so mundane as fleshing out the James Belushi and Amy Shiels storylines. Nobody could have predicted the content of this episode, and certainly nobody had asked for us to be given something like this. I loved it.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Anyone else think that the "bell" is a nuke warhead ? http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/W89.jpg

richsmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by richsmith »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Rhodes wrote:
Fooled? They made money out of this.

Also, do you honestly think they actually gave him total freedom and a blank check? There was supervision, just very limited on the artistic level. They certainly knew what Lynch was going to do and they probably saw a draft script before paying up for the filming of the show.

I am curious if this is indeed true.

My two cents is that the final cut/result came as a big surprise for Showtime.
I rarely chime in on stuff like this because I hate coming across as condescending. But what Rhodes is stating here is completely, utterly incorrect. Anyone who knows anything about the way production works will understand that Showtime signed off on the scripts as Lynch and Frost wrote them, and just about everything in the scripts will be reflected by what is seen onscreen. There may be variances along the way, and often things in execution come across different as they're written. But this is Lynch we're talking about. Once Showtime saw and approved the script and greenlit the production, they knew exactly what they were getting.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

this thread is going to go 100+ with the 2 week break lol. i can't wait for the screen caps.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

djsunyc wrote:this thread is going to go 100+ with the 2 week break lol. i can't wait for the screen caps.
What I need is the jazz music that was played on the Gramophone!!! 10 hour loop if possible.

DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

bastia wrote:Metamorphosis by Kafka was quoted, the bug, also the Nuke. Lynch's office foreshadowed all of this.
Got the nuke reference. Had been waiting for a Kafka one, but with everything going on I completely missed the Metamorphosis thing.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
bastia wrote:Metamorphosis by Kafka was quoted, the bug, also the Nuke. Lynch's office foreshadowed all of this.
Got the nuke reference. Had been waiting for a Kafka one, but with everything going on I completely missed the Metamorphosis thing.
"As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect."

One of the best incipit in literary history!!

Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

yaxomoxay wrote:
djsunyc wrote:this thread is going to go 100+ with the 2 week break lol. i can't wait for the screen caps.
What I need is the jazz music that was played on the Gramophone!!! 10 hour loop if possible.

Is that the one that's on the "The Air is On Fire" album? For 99 cents, the iTunes Store could make your dream a reality.

I actually bought the album last night :lol:
Last edited by Zachary on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.