Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Panapaok wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:For all the surreal grandeur of this Part, the plot/mythology developments seem pretty straightforward. Everyone seems to have drawn pretty much the same conclusions...and honestly, I find the storyline a trifle disappointing if that's all there is to what we saw. Christ-Moonchild-Laura and a nuclear blast opening our world up to the Lodge are kinda mundane developments. But damn, the way they were presented could not have been more beautiful or captivating. Incredible filmmaking, and definitely felt very much of a piece with DKL's very earliest works, in the best possible way. Can't believe this thing is airing on the network that brought us Dexter! It's gonna take two weeks to fully process this one.
Yeah, agreed. It felt like a pretty straightforward backstory/mythology expansion with Frost's fingerprints all over it and then Lynch executed it in such a riveting and captivating way, cementing it as a truly wonderful collaboration between the two!
Agreed. I hope Mark doesn't clear the events/mythology of new series up too much in TFD. We need to be able to debate all the ambiguities for yesrs to come!
Flávia

Post by Flávia »

Incredible episode, is the birth of the mythology of Twin Peaks.

The analogy of the creation of the atomic bomb with the pure evil represented by Bob is very well made.

Laura is the key to solve the situation, not that it was a surprise since the opening, showing her face, already pointed out the importance of it. She was created to be the counterpoint to EVIL, always represented by signs of goodness - an angel, the light.

Nothing human should deter Cooper's evil.

I think that girl who swallows the beetle is Mrs. Tremond.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Panapaok wrote:Based on what has happened so far, it wouldn't be surprising if we indeed get to see a planet of corn.
I really thought we might see that during one point last night.

Hopefully we'll at least get (a) Sheriff Truman crashing his truck into the Black Lodge.
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

In Cole's office, there are three pieces of "artwork". The huge picture of the White Sands nuclear test, a portrait of Franz Kafka, and a painting of a cob of corn.

- Kafka, the Metamorphosis, a man wakes up transformed into a bug/parasite. The New Mexican girl becomes the host of a parasitic bug.
- The explosion, and what it triggers in the other dimension.

I'm not American, but does corn an creamed corn happen to be especially associated with southern states, including New Mexico? I'm just wondering if BOB won't have some form of physical existence with the girl before he moves north, and if he won't acquire a taste for the real dish before it becomes the taste and image of what they call Garmonbozia... I also assume that "creamed corn" isn't an ancestral dish of the natives in the US any more than it is here in Canada (they eat plenty of corn, just not that way).. so it's not ancient...
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: NIN worked nicely as a pallette cleanser before diving full-on into DKL's dream/nightmarescape.
That's exactly what I was going to say. I felt like that NIN scene allowed me to take a breather (in hindsight). My wife and I both were shocked by how beautiful (and creepy) the Woodsmen/DoppleCoop scene was that we just kept looking at one another with jaws dropped. For a brief moment I wondered if that NIN scene was going on too long until it came back and suddenly we were in the middle of the first atomic bomb detonation. It really was a perfect break/palette cleanser...
-
As above, so below.
-
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

Creamed corn (which is also known by other names, such as "cream-style corn") is a type of creamed food made by pulping corn kernels and collecting the milky residue from the corn. Originating in Native American cuisine, it is now most commonly eaten in the Midwestern and Southern United States.

From wikipedia
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

oldforce wrote:
Jonah wrote:
The kids could be Sarah and Leland, or maybe just Sarah. But if the bug isn't Laura, then we can probably throw that idea out too. Perhaps who the kids are may not be relevant - or only relevant later. They may just be kids. Or they could turn out to be significant.
I'm thinking this is "Mrs. Robinson" of Pearl Lakes cabin fame, her husband flicks matches at Leland.
Robertson... son of Robert... Bob...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The way this episode deployed its "title" was probably the biggest non-Jacoby laugh I've gotten so far. Perfect horror-comedy.

This is technically the first ever TP episode that doesn't feature the "real" Dale Cooper at all.

Also, I believe this is the first time DKL has ever shot anything that actually takes place in the 1950s, despite the majority of his films taking place there by proxy.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Man what an episode. Just finished reading the majority of the thread and I'm glad to see the majority are still on board. I saw the Art Life earlier on Sunday and fairly glad I did... Really puts some of this into perspective. This imagery Lynch is using is reoccurring. The moth frog reminded me of the experiments he mentions he was doing in Philly which freaked his dad out. Doesn't necessarily give me answers but gives context.

Agreed Laura gold sphere =/= moth frog. I think that's either Bob or one of the other eggs. Laura is heading somewhere else/we don't see where she landed.

PS a lot of firsts in this episode, first without regular dale cooper, and first big dated flashback sequence I can think of...
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

So why was Bob in a big sphere from the creature's vomit but the other "eggs" were just small things? How does a male human with long hair and facial hair come out of that creature? Also, was that old footage of Frank Silva or a CGI recreation?

Can someone please make a video of the Woodsmen running around the Convenience Store to the tune of "Yakety Sax"?
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Everybody assumed that Mr. C will kill Ray and will head where the coordinates lead him. Now I guess that he will need to find Hastings secretary himself? Or he'll go to the Farm to find Ray again? Or to Argentina to find Jeffries? Holy fuck, this has to be the most unpredictable show ever! The episode ends and you don't know what you'll see next week.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
tlk

Post by tlk »

Just watched it.
Some random quick associations:
Spooky Bum(s) - remind me of Captain's Ahab sidekick Fedallah for some reason :? Apart ofc of the FWWM trailer park bum lady. And maybe a bit of MD bum.
Nuclear blast - Space Odyssey. Nailed.
Convenience store - CONVENIENCE STORE! Always love a convenience store reference. Also at first when it appeared it reminded me of Blair Witch Vol 1 game :twisted:
Hatched creature - BUT THAT'S LIM-LIM! From Planescape: Torment. Image Tad less cute I have to admit but still :mrgreen:
Fat Lady, Giant & Laura's Sphere - can't nail it. The black bulb (from Coop's first dream) tho looks like something outta Nautilus and at the same time reminds of Earl's stuffed pawn :twisted:
1956 couple in the car - :arrow: Image
"But... You... Live... In... Town... Next to the school" - But THEY live above the convenience store! She said the words so distinctively for some reason. Could they be the headmaster guy and his future wife? Nah, too old :wink:
NIN - well... NIN. Was never gonna be my cuppa really. Or have I missed something in their cameo?
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

Did the scene with Dido and the Laura orb remind anyone else of Laura's angel scene in Fire Walk With Me?
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I dont think the bug that hatched is Laura Palmer. I don't see why the woodsman would be helping the bug if it was Laura. It makes more sense if the bug is BoB or another spirit.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Panapaok wrote:Everybody assumed that Mr. C will kill Ray and will head where the coordinates lead him. Now I guess that he will need to find Hastings secretary himself? Or he'll go to the Farm to find Ray again? Or to Argentina to find Jeffries? Holy fuck, this has to be the most unpredictable show ever! The episode ends and you don't know what you'll see next week.
Ahhaah when Mr.C pulled the gun my wife said : "This was so predictable."
After the scene, I told her "Say again?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk