Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Snailhead »

Still thinking about this wonderful, wonderful hour of cinema.

I think it's too soon / simplistic to assume that what we saw was an origin. Everything about the mythology thus far has suggested that the lodge and its inhabitants have been around for a very long time, further back than the 50s. Unless what's being suggested is that Bob is a relatively young spirit ... ? But I always assumed he'd been around at least thousands of years if not more. And I don't know about Laura as a magical being sent down to earth... that interpretation doesn't sit too well with me, but if that's where this is heading I'm still excited to see more.

The fact that it was the Prom Photo image leads me to suspect that what was being represented was the whole mystery and story surrounding Laura Palmer, rather than Laura Palmer herself. We shall see!
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

The Woodsmen were definitely helping to revive Cooper; why else did he survive?

Notice they're not merely attending to the part of Cooper's body where Bob emerges; they're also rubbing Cooper's face ritualistically.

We should infer from this that they help BOB manifest in a ritual designed to save Bad Coop.

Ray's dialogue confirms this when he says Cooper was receiving help.

We'll be shown fairly soon that BOB is still in Cooper, although I don't think Lynch even wants us to question this much. We never actually see BOB leave Cooper; we only see him emerge.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

G42.2 wrote:My good friend David Koenig just made this excellent mash-up video which may be enjoyable to some here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP55ObecUFk[/youtube]

This is terrific. Thanks for sharing!
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

I didn't spot this, but add another nod to past Lynch works:

In the "Quinoa" extra on the INLAND EMPIRE DVD, Lynch talks about a journey by train from Greece through the former Yugoslavia, and stopping in the middle of nowhere at a little drink stand where frog-moths are leaping up from the earth.

It would be fascinating to walk around David's brain.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

We live inside a dream
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

Calderon wrote:If this would have been the very last episode of Twin peaks I could die happy.
This made me smile so much. I totally agree. That this episode happened is almost unbelievable...
-
As above, so below.
-
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Snailhead wrote:Still thinking about this wonderful, wonderful hour of cinema.

I think it's too soon / simplistic to assume that what we saw was an origin. Everything about the mythology thus far has suggested that the lodge and its inhabitants have been around for a very long time, further back than the 50s. Unless what's being suggested is that Bob is a relatively young spirit ... ?
Yep, he dresses like a hipster in his jean jacket...
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Audrey Horne wrote:Has it been discussed or speculated if Mr. C was setup the entire time? Was Ray in on a plan? He had a gun on him, and Mr. C's planted gun was a decoy. But the Warden wouldn't want him killed because he feared his own life would be destroyed. Who was helping Ray on the inside?
I could imagine a scenario where Phillip Jeffries might've been in collusion with Ray to have Mr. C done in. I re-watched Part 2 just the night before #8. It got my attention that not only does Mr. C or EvilCoop express some apprehension midway into the brief conversation on the transmitter box -- "This IS Phillip Jeffries, right??" -- but earlier, with Darya, he played-back her own conversation on the phone w/ Ray prior to EvilCoop's arrival. And I heard Ray's voice tell Darya "I talked to Jeffries. We have to do Cooper tonight" or something like that. With urgency.

It STILL doesnt add up completely why EvilCoop persists asking Darya "Who wants me dead?" when the phone conversation was played naming Jeffries -- as well as this episode 8 showing Ray dialing in to report to Jeffries the latest (was he just leaving a message?)

As to how Ray obtained the means to "trick" EvilCoop with the unloaded gun etc, I'll need to revisit what Coop's exchange was with the warden since I know there was a threat about how the Mr Strawberry connection could be revealed to his (the warden's) doom... otherwise I'd suppose Ray and the warden both had something to gain by working together to ensure EvilCoop got iced.

The other bothersome aspect for me is that Ray stated outright to EvilCoop how he figured his info is "worth a LOT of money", as if he were going to extort $$ from EvilCoop in order to hand over his valuable info. Then why would he not pursue that, instead shooting with intent to kill the person so desperate for the info/ coordinates/ whatnot, assuming that the money to gain would exceed what he'd already been offered for EvilCoop's head? Did he really give himself away, even unaware at the time EvilCoop had squeezed info out of Darya and unaware Darya paid with her life for it?
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

The other bothersome aspect for me is that Ray stated outright to EvilCoop how he figured his info is "worth a LOT of money", as if he were going to extort $$ from EvilCoop in order to hand over his valuable info. Then why would he not pursue that, instead shooting with intent to kill the person so desperate for the info/ coordinates/ whatnot, assuming that the money to gain would exceed what he'd already been offered for EvilCoop's head? Did he really give himself away, even unaware at the time EvilCoop had squeezed info out of Darya and unaware Darya paid with her life for it?
I assumed at this point that he knew Cooper was about to try and kill him, so it was just a matter of survival.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Isis Unveiled wrote:Somehow I doubt that the atom bomb was Frost's way of alluding to climate change.

If you read The Secret History of Twin Peaks, and take into consideration the longstanding conspiracy of the Atom Bomb being the beginning of Alien Visitation, I think Frost is trying to tie in human evolution and the development of technology to the occult.

I think the Atom Bomb may have been a reference to project Paperclip, or Jack Parsons/L Ron Hubbard's Babalon Working.
YES, exactly. We are deep in Kabbalist ancient "alien" territory. We have seen the Realm of Binah, primordial sea of the dark mother goddess, across the abyss of Da'ath. The next sphere on the Tree of Life is the gray sphere of Chokmah- the seed that gets implanted into the sea of potential that is Binah "to bring life from the cosmic oceans" (from The Mystic Foundation: Understand the Magickal Universe)

Occultist scientists, owl worshipers of the Bohemian Grove, involved in the Manhattan project irradiated a golem in the blast.
http://lust-for-life.org/Lust-For-Life/ ... nGrove.pdf (Parsons and Nixon also attended)
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I don't think it was a matter of survival. It would be if he didn't have the gun... What choice does he have but to get in the car and stall? And he says, "tricked ya!" And even his scene in the diner seems like he knows more and is toying with Mr. C. I think Ray has been two steps ahead of him, and obviously Jeffries at least three. Even Darya might have been set up as a fall guy.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

The idea of linking the Lodges to the atom bomb dates back to early ideas for FWWM, correct? Or possibly before?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

krishnanspace wrote:without Laura no Cooper.
This part puzzles me. Why would there be no Cooper without Laura?
-
As above, so below.
-
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Taperecorder wrote:
Regardless, just think how differently everything would have turned out if only someone had just given that poor man a light...
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:
Taperecorder wrote:
Regardless, just think how differently everything would have turned out if only someone had just given that poor man a light...
He just wanted to light that dang cigarette is all....
-
As above, so below.
-