Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by sneakydave »

firefly2193 wrote:Does Gordon Cole having a picture of the nuclear blast represent simple foreshadowing, or a suggestion that Cole knows more about whats going on in these 'Blue Rose' cases than he's letting on (to his agents etc)?
Well, he also has a framed photo of some corn on his wall.

Yeah, I think he knows a bit more. As is also outlined in The Secret History of Twin Peaks book.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

Tenuous connection corner: What, if anything, is the relationship between the Abe Lincoln Lodge Spirit asking for a light and both Mickey and Gordon Cole quitting smoking?

^Apologies if this has been brought up previously; usually live on this thread but time has bettered me this week.

Also, I penned my thoughts on Part 8. You can read them here: http://whatculture.com/tv/10-things-we- ... urn-part-8
Rodigy

Post by Rodigy »

IMO this should have been the first episode.

The only bit I didn't like was the NIN part.

I've never been so mind fucked from anything I've seen on film!
The woodsman saying "Gotta light" was funny shit.

I do think the explosion scene went on a bit too long though.
mhanor

Post by mhanor »

Jasper wrote: I think Lynch would be pained to see you using six (and five) question marks. :lol:

Six is a negative number, and seven is a positive number (in the world of Lynch). The giant's name is seven question marks for a very specific reason.
I hadn't thought about it. Thanks for pointing it out :)
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

sneakydave wrote:
Well, he also has a framed photo of some corn on his wall.

Yeah, I think he knows a bit more. As is also outlined in The Secret History of Twin Peaks book.
Yes, he does. The moment I saw the blue rose in the 3rd episode I knew Gordon really knows some deep secrets about all of this. After all, they are "Gordon's blue rose cases". :)
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Little notion about Atom Bomb and the essence of evil: we've always been capable of evil, but nuclear power makes it possible for us to be ultimate evil. No matter how horrible life have always been for victims, cavemen with stones can't destroy the world. Reality isn't philosophical, it is real. To be sentient and intelligent being in the universe is a marvellous thing and to waste, or even worse, to destroy that is an utter abomination.

And not getting political but being from Finland, here in Europe (same as Japan) the civilian deaths really outweighted the military casualities. Not that any death is not a tragedy... My whole childhood was about cold war and fear of the end of the world. Modern scares about terrorists and such really pale in comparison. Well, we have other grave worries about future, of course. There is always evil in the world. :(

BTW There's funny connection to the banging of the door in the scenes with Naido now: Naido means black in that indonesian tambora language and that culture was destroyed by the eruption of Mount Tambora in the 1815. It was the biggest explosion of known history and it came in long row of huge bangs. Maybe this is just coincidence but somehow I doubt that. That eruption even resulted in "year without summer" globally. Of course the actual magnitude of Tambora eruption was insane, 800 megatons, that's even 14 times bigger than tsar bomba. But it wasn't thermonuclear, and it wasn't manmade...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tambora_culture

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tambora_language

EDIT: Just wanted to add that this episode was just perfect! Actually it readjusted my scales, the show has already been amazing but this was something else.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

I am so happy and in awe of how Lynch works around the problem of deceased actors. Recasts would have been the one thing that I would have disagreed with (and would not have been able to go along for the ride). But how do you work around it then?

I thought the "evolution of the arm" was so much better than casting another small man.

And even more impressed with the handling of BOB. Although I love Frank Silva (a true legend!), I think that the solution that was chosen for The Return is actually BETTER than having (an alive!) Frank Silva (let alone a recast) do the same trick yet another time. This approach really adds to his storyline from the original run and the visual aspect of his character.
TPDpz

Post by TPDpz »

What a curious episode this was. I had to make an account just to make my two cents on this. :)

-Before this the White lodge & Black lodge have opened their portals to earth in specific occasions, remember the map in S2 and the required conjunction of planets required. Connections between these realms are way older than the atomic bomb explosion.
-I think the creature from the egg was a fairy and that has a task to keep the girl safe, presumably Sarah
-Bob entered the world as a new means found from the atomic explosion and so as balance must be held, so was a being of light to be sent to the world as well that would be Laura
-Laura did radiate light and goodness to others in life while keeping the darkness to herself in later life
-In the end Laura fell in her life, she sunk herself with her decisions and temptations so that Bob was able to catch up to her
-Bob was dormant in Leland as long as Laura was pure, but came to existence after the fall of Laura and free reign after her death, the goodness / light radiated in Laura kept Bob away
-Perhaps Sarah is more important than is being thought

Twin peaks seems to be a story of light and darkness built up beautifully. It is a story of the real world and the spirits above and below, the ever ongoing battle. We never get rid of our demons but can learn to live above them.

Hell for company and excitement and heaven for scenery and bliss. You guide your own ship, but be careful to not astray too far or you might get lost forever. From John Miltons Paradise lost “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”. How true is that however. There are no absolutes.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

mhanor wrote:I don't think BOB is dead. We only saw him because of the ritual the woodsmen performed on Bad Coop or because of his injuries. It doesn't mean he's gone.
Yup. Don't know what others think they saw, with respect to that.

Believe we were shown him peeking out momentarily in that egg-like form, to set up seeing him again the same way during the atomic bomb sequence.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

GrapesOnTheEdge wrote:I have not been moved by a piece of art like this episode in a long time...if ever. Completely awed by this hour. The images, the SOUNDscape, the horror, the beauty, the mystery, the history, the shadows, the light, the fire.
Of all the comments I've trawled on this thread (and I haven't finished yet) so far this comes the closest to my own experience. Bear in mind I haven't rewatched yet, but boy-oh-boy was that an immersive episode. I haven't been glued to the screen like this in a long, long time -- perhaps since watching FWWM in an art-house cinema cloaked in darkness.

In parts it was like The Fountain's Aronofsky's light show, but then drenched in scorched engine oil and the tormented screams of the damned. When people talk about 'the meaning' of Lynchian TV, I usually like to make the distinction between meaning and significance, but in this episode they are fused together. Massive narrative leaps are there for those looking primarily for story (or, let us say, 'narrative possibilities', since we are far from knowing); those looking for art will find it also here in spadefuls.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

I don't care if I repeat sentiments people have already voiced, I had to wait a day too see it. It was phenomenal. Best moments for me:

-When one of the ghostly Woodsmen lifts DoppelCoop's lifeless, bloodied head, and turns it to look at Ray, while distant muffled cries can be heard.

-The Woodsman sinking out of the sky, and stalking across the desert to the radio station. Fucking eerie.

-The aching music while The Giant and Senorita Dido seemed to bring Laura to the world; how the scene could be so beautiful and poignant, while also being totally alien and inaccessible is beyond me.
Loved the styling of the machinery, really reminiscent of Dan Dare, and "50's chrome..."

-The CGI was vastly superior to anything we've seen in terms of clarity and experimentation so far. The only problem I had was the mushroom cloud. It was an incredible, darkly magnificent image, but
something in my head told me the cloud looked about three inches tall. Something with the perspective confused me.

-I loved the personality of the small town in 1956 New Mexico; Really felt like an established place with a mood of it's own, like Twin Peaks itself.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
ToriFreak2016 wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:They weren't kidding when they said that there was going to be political themes this time.

Look forward to laughing at the detractors thread in due course.
You like Twin Peaks, You like David Lynch, You like Twin Peaks and David Lynch. This was a you like David Lynch episode. And that's good for me. Although I think this episode was insanely important for the plot if you can follow it. I actually think that the Laura ball, is actually the soul that ascended in Fire Walk With Me. I say that because when the kid died a few episodes ago, he floated up as a gold dust. Just my opinion.
The way the woman was looking up at the glowing ball reminded me a bit of Laura looking up at the angel in FWWM.

I liked that this tied back to the idea that Laura, despite her conflicted nature, turned out to be a force for good. Not only did she refuse to become one of BOB's vehicles, but I wonder now if the Giant and other forces of the White Lodge knew that her life and death would eventually prompt the town to confront its own dark side and draw BOB into the open so that he'd be forced to abandon Leland.
I did say in the previous ep thread, DougieCoop does look upwards as if towards 'the light' rather than Janey-E

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
haveimooed

Post by haveimooed »

The patterns on floors of the Giant's house strongly resemble the look of Jupiter's gas surface. Maybe it is intended this way.
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

So anyone here who thinks there's a meaning behind "Senorita Dido"?
Another part that reminded me of Carnivale. (Not the bit with ???????, but with Dido and the music)
owlsseemrealtome

Post by owlsseemrealtome »

I just wondered if anyone noticed that the music used in the room with The Giant is also on The Lime Green Set?