Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mallard
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Mallard »

IAmHappeningAgain wrote:Thinking more about this episode the last couple of days, I thought explaining laura and bob was a pretty big mistake. The whole evil in the hearts of men didnt need explaining. The fact it struck a normalish family and drove her crazy has more power in it than magic giant sends laura palmer ball to earth.
I may be dense, but personally I don't think that episode explained very much. Is Bob being born, or are we being shown the process by which he is reinserted into the world following DoppelCoop's death? Or is he being sent from certain time or location to (roughly) the present? Was Laura created and sent to Earth, or pulled back from the Red Room for her soul to reappear? Or something else entirely? I don't think we have enough info to draw definitive conclusions.
Welcome...to the third...place.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

"(1) did Bob appearing in the bubble vomited by the Experiment originally happen in 1945, and then the Giant/???? sent Laura's spirit to combat it, which we saw play out in FWWM or (2) did Bob get extracted from DoppleCoop, time travel back to 1945, and sneak himself into the bubble vomit to re-insert himself into history, whereby the Giant/???? realized this and sent Laura's spirit back in time to combat him?"

God, if someone told me, say, 3-4 years ago that we would one day be, in all seriousness, debating things as stated above in relation to the next installment of TP, I'd have laughed him off and proclaimed him bonkers - David Lynch doesn't do cheezy, far-fetched, half-assed fan fiction, I'd told him as an argument. Alas, today, it's true. How did it come to this?! Can we possibly sink even lower or is this the bottom???
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Mallard wrote:
IAmHappeningAgain wrote:Thinking more about this episode the last couple of days, I thought explaining laura and bob was a pretty big mistake. The whole evil in the hearts of men didnt need explaining. The fact it struck a normalish family and drove her crazy has more power in it than magic giant sends laura palmer ball to earth.
I may be dense, but personally I don't think that episode explained very much. Is Bob being born, or are we being shown the process by which he is reinserted into the world following DoppelCoop's death? Or is he being sent from certain time or location to (roughly) the present? Was Laura created and sent to Earth, or pulled back from the Red Room for her soul to reappear? Or something else entirely? I don't think we have enough info to draw definitive conclusions.
I'm not convinced we'll be anywhere nearer understanding after part 18!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

I understand that they are listed as girl 1956 and boy 1956 in the credits, but could this be just because Lynch and Frost are keeping this from us...is it possible that the two children are Richard and Linda... :?:
map66

Post by map66 »

Or that boy and girl 1956 are Cooper's parents?
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Are DoppelCoops eyes black when he pops back up after the cool NIN song? :?:
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

map66 wrote:Or that boy and girl 1956 are Cooper's parents?
I think they are too young to be his parents...right?
map66

Post by map66 »

kafa81 wrote:

Cooper is what, somewhere in his 50s? So he would have born in the 1960s, making that couple potentially the exact right age to be his parents..
wpc77

Post by wpc77 »

Agent Earle wrote:"(1) did Bob appearing in the bubble vomited by the Experiment originally happen in 1945, and then the Giant/???? sent Laura's spirit to combat it, which we saw play out in FWWM or (2) did Bob get extracted from DoppleCoop, time travel back to 1945, and sneak himself into the bubble vomit to re-insert himself into history, whereby the Giant/???? realized this and sent Laura's spirit back in time to combat him?"

God, if someone told me, say, 3-4 years ago that we would one day be, in all seriousness, debating things as stated above in relation to the next installment of TP, I'd have laughed him off and proclaimed him bonkers - David Lynch doesn't do cheezy, far-fetched, half-assed fan fiction, I'd told him as an argument. Alas, today, it's true. How did it come to this?! Can we possibly sink even lower or is this the bottom???
Not sure why you are surprised. As Engels noted, Lynch originally intended in FWWM to take us to 1954 at the night of the re-election of Ike to present the BOB origin story. he always wanted to present this part of it.
Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elad Repooc »

Watched it later than most of you because I'm in the UK watching it on Now TV and I was busy doing something else on Monday night, so it wasn't until Tuesday before I watched it.

BUT WHAT THE HELL???!!!!!

I thought Part 3 was insane as insane gets, but Part 8 was that many times over! It went so far beyond what I thought it was going to be. I think some people who have hung on this far will switch off after this. Not me, but I can understand why other people might. This isn't even remotely anything close to normal TV or movies. Heck, it's not even close to the original TP. This is pure art without any compromises.

Haha, so everyone was really hoping that Dougie Dale would finally wake up, and we didn't even get to see him at all!
Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elad Repooc »

map66 wrote:
kafa81 wrote:

Cooper is what, somewhere in his 50s? So he would have born in the 1960s, making that couple potentially the exact right age to be his parents..
According to Wikipedia, Dale Cooper was born on April 19th, 1954:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Cooper
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

map66 wrote:
kafa81 wrote:

Nice theory, but I dont think its likely that the young boys surname is Cooper.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

LateReg wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, so I thought I'd share. A friend of mine had only one thought during the 1956 sequence. That the young boy walking with the young girl is actually Bob. It would be a neat trick, for sure, making us focus on the girl as it does. Perhaps the bug creature would get transferred into him through some sexual act? Anyway, I don't really have any theories of my own, I just found it interesting.
Well, if the boy is Leland Palmer as some (including myself) speculated, then yes. He is Bob several years after possession taking place.

I am not sure why the "bug creature" is perceived as evil. Or actually I do know. We are instinctively repulsed by insects, and particularly the idea of them crawling over our bodies, not to mention into our mouths. Does the conventional wisdom apply here though? There is no rational reason to believe whether that creature is good, evil or anything in between.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Imagine if it had been Annie's face in the gold sphere instead of Laura. Would that have blown our minds more? Or less?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Nighthawk wrote:
LateReg wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, so I thought I'd share. A friend of mine had only one thought during the 1956 sequence. That the young boy walking with the young girl is actually Bob. It would be a neat trick, for sure, making us focus on the girl as it does. Perhaps the bug creature would get transferred into him through some sexual act? Anyway, I don't really have any theories of my own, I just found it interesting.
Well, if the boy is Leland Palmer as some (including myself) speculated, then yes. He is Bob several years after possession taking place.

I am not sure why the "bug creature" is perceived as evil. Or actually I do know. We are instinctively repulsed by insects, and particularly the idea of them crawling over our bodies, not to mention into our mouths. Does the conventional wisdom apply here though? There is no rational reason to believe whether that creature is good, evil or anything in between.
Just to clarify, my friend literally thought the boy was Bob...not Leland, but Bob, ie, young Frank Silva, a boy who would grow up to look like the Bob we know. I'm not saying it gels with whatever origin story we were already led to believe, but that's what my friend meant.