Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Azurite404

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Azurite404 »

h2nho wrote:Apparently, the music while Dopplecooper is dying with the Woodsmen is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata slowed 5x. That is COOL! Welcome to Twin Peaks is the site that sleuthed it.
Actually it was found on reddit first I believe, by /u/WattsD

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... moonlight/

Just saying.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

The Brown Lodge wrote:
pixletwin wrote: Girl (1956) can not be Coopers mother because he was born in 1954.
Cooper looks pretty good for 63.
Cooper is 60 in 2014.Kyle is 58. 60 is not that old.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

The Brown Lodge wrote:
pixletwin wrote: Girl (1956) can not be Coopers mother because he was born in 1954.
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

krishnanspace wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:
Well... I hope he's still entitled to the FBI pension then, because he aint far off retirement.
seacow

Post by seacow »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:My first thought out of the gate about the Woodsman smearing blood on Cooper's Face was that they were turning Coop into one of them. One could assume all of the Woodsman have blood on their faces by the looks of them.
Especially since the B&W blood when the Woodsman kills the KPJK disc jockey blends seamlessly with the black marerial already on Woodsman's hands/face. Hmm.
In the B&W scenes maybe the blood was red and fresh; in the present scenes in color, we see the blood on them dried black. Interesting thought! I've been calling them the 'charred' woodsmen in my head but maybe it's just decades old blood coating them. Not much to support this but I like it, who cares, I think the point of Lynch's work is to make you feel something, not the 'right' thing. :)
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I'll go out on a limb and say Cooper's age will not be mentioned. He was a young agent in the original series, and he's simple middle aged now. They will not reinforce the hero's age.

Just like the pilot took place in 1989 because it was current, the series took place in 1990 because it was current, and the new series takes place twenty five years later today because it is current. I don't think we'll (nor we should) get confirmation of a set year.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
seacow

Post by seacow »

This shot stood out as deliberate to me and I haven't seen it mentioned (forgive me if I'm wrong) but for the sake of being thorough and introducing new topics, what do y'all think of Cooper's app here?

Connections to fire, C probably stands for Cooper, then D (circle with a dot is the symbol for gold if I'm not mistaken?) X. Why is 'Fire' the only one with arrows? DoX. D gold X. Dougie??? I have no answers, only questions. The implication with Mr. C's line about 3 tracking devices is that he's viewing the names of them somehow, which makes me think they are planted and given these names by Jeffries. The semi truck I think plays into his future plans to keep himself out of trouble; he's got one of his people on top of it, sending them the license plate number. Or maybe it's a truck carrying goods for his enemies... Or of course, none of the above. That's the beauty of it!

I'm blown away by how much there is to think about everything after NIN's performance, but also most concerned about what this scene with Mr. C means, because it's the only somewhat familiar material we get before the Holy Jumpin' George! parts. The only thing I'm sure of is that I can't be sure of anything. What a thrill.
Attachments
GgeJmpm_d.jpg
GgeJmpm_d.jpg (13.21 KiB) Viewed 9721 times
anewberry

give me more

Post by anewberry »

Since the beginning I've been skipping two chapters at a time in order to watch 2 at a time. That said, it's been working perfectly until now.. I've just watched chapter 7&8 and I'm craving for some more.. AND, I simply don't get why chapter 7 has better "ratings" than chapter 8. #8 was mindblowing
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

wxray wrote: Watching the girl/boy, I cannot get the thought of Ed and Nadine out of my head based on looks. But it doesn't match, because at one point in S2, Nadine says she is in her 30's. The math just doesn't work. I think we're just going to have to see where this goes as I believe these are new characters.
TSHOTP has a back story for Nadine and Ed. They were teenagers/ classmates at the same school in Twin Peaks.

Someone on reddit suggested the girl could be Judy. I'm trying to stay open to all possibilities, but this is the one that sticks with me.
kornishpyxee
Roadhouse Member

Post by kornishpyxee »

The Brown Lodge wrote:The first time I watched episode 8, when the giant levitates in the movie room - I thought that he was actually dying. I thought the particle stuff was his soul or whatever coming out, and creating a new life. Could he be dead?
I thought this too. I also thought the golden particle stuff was garmonbozia. So, does that mean new Laura was born/created from ???????'s garmonbozia?

Jenn (kornishpyxee)
The next time you see me it won't be me.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I think the boy and girl are just thematic parallels to the moments of pure love and innocence in Twin Peaks. They are echoes to certain characters we know.The challenge to understanding Lynch and Frost's work is that some scenes are meant to be read realistically, some are meant to be read metaphorically or psychologically (abstractly), and some are meant to be read through a lens of absurdism or postmodernism. And sometimes we can read scenes in multiple ways.
I had the same thought at first. Partly because the lines delivered were so deliberate and underscoring her innocence ("Look, a penny!" And her demure reluctance to accept his offer of a kiss at first). Also, they seemed so isolated in time. They refer to circumstances such as school, and yet we don't know how they came to be walking together -- leaving a convenience store empty-handed, or else just happened to be strolling past? Where was he walking her home from? There's no other people around, and she enters a house then is shown on her bed without additional context of parents or family just the radio for interaction.

Then the more I thought about all this I felt less sure it was just personification of an abstract. To be given small details about where he lived and who he dated, much less introduce a character chosen as the host of an invasive alien-like creature, doesn't seem as likely to set up a scenario empty of character or ultimate impact on either character. Interesting to me is that while we still know almost nothing about her, but gleaned random information about him and his home and some girl he's dated -- the entire scene served the purpose of showcasing her vulnerability, her innocence and what she took away from the interlude. How it affected her brought full import, yet we still don't know much else about her.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
james.mooney.

Re: RE: Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by james.mooney. »

Framed_Angel wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:I think the boy and girl are just thematic parallels to the moments of pure love and innocence in Twin Peaks. They are echoes to certain characters we know.The challenge to understanding Lynch and Frost's work is that some scenes are meant to be read realistically, some are meant to be read metaphorically or psychologically (abstractly), and some are meant to be read through a lens of absurdism or postmodernism. And sometimes we can read scenes in multiple ways.
I had the same thought at first. Partly because the lines delivered were so deliberate and underscoring her innocence ("Look, a penny!" And her demure reluctance to accept his offer of a kiss at first). Also, they seemed so isolated in time. They refer to circumstances such as school, and yet we don't know how they came to be walking together -- leaving a convenience store empty-handed, or else just happened to be strolling past? Where was he walking her home from? There's no other people around, and she enters a house then is shown on her bed without additional context of parents or family just the radio for interaction.

Then the more I thought about all this I felt less sure it was just personification of an abstract. To be given small details about where he lived and who he dated, much less introduce a character chosen as the host of an invasive alien-like creature, doesn't seem as likely to set up a scenario empty of character or ultimate impact on either character. Interesting to me is that while we still know almost nothing about her, but gleaned random information about him and his home and some girl he's dated -- the entire scene served the purpose of showcasing her vulnerability, her innocence and what she took away from the interlude. How it affected her brought full import, yet we still don't know much else about her.
It was also interesting that she knew things about him that he hadn't told her and that she wouldn't tell him how she knew... which could be completely harmless and meaningless, like she had her eye on him and asked around about him to her friends and was embarrassed to admit it, but who knows?
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by counterpaul »

james.mooney. wrote:It was also interesting that she knew things about him that he hadn't told her and that she wouldn't tell him how she knew... which could be completely harmless and meaningless, like she had her eye on him and asked around about him to her friends and was embarrassed to admit it, but who knows?
That line (BOY: How did you know that? GIRL: I just do) was actually the first thing that made me think of Sarah.

Remember Donna, talking to James in Episode 4:

"Laura used to say her mother was kind of spooky, she used to see stuff, she'd have these dreams. Laura did too."

It's not definitive evidence or anything (Sarah is hardly the only character in TP who has had visions), but that line, plus the timing right after Dido releases Laura, is probably the main reason I think she might just be young Sarah (I don't think the boy is Leland, though). Of course, I'm far from certain!
-Mr. Jackpots-

Post by -Mr. Jackpots- »

krishnanspace wrote:I was wondering that in FWWM, before Cooper even came in Twin peaks there was a version of him in the waiting room. So now even though he has left the waiting room, there still could be a version of him in the lodge right?
That "version" of him in the waiting room was him, after he came to the Twin Peaks. Time in the lodge doesn´t work same as in reality.

Is it future or is it past? We live inside a dream. :)
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

-Mr. Jackpots- wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:I was wondering that in FWWM, before Cooper even came in Twin peaks there was a version of him in the waiting room. So now even though he has left the waiting room, there still could be a version of him in the lodge right?
That "version" of him in the waiting room was him, after he came to the Twin Peaks. Time in the lodge doesn´t work same as in reality.

Is it future or is it past? We live inside a dream. :)
I know that. What I meant was even at this point of time there still is a version of him in the waiting room