Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by eyeboogers »

claaa7 wrote:Its beautiful how much they've been able to use BOB in the series without a recast. Very creative!
In general, the actors that Lynch/Frost knew they couldn't use due to fatalities turned out to be the ones they relied on the most to tell their story (Bob, Briggs, Jeffries). Creativity is funny that way, how obstructions can spark ideas.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Well said!
thor008u2

Post by thor008u2 »

mtsi wrote:Trinity:

Father
Son
Holy Ghost

Experiment
BOB
The Woodsman
“It might or might not be significant that the first detonation was code named Trinity, and this series is built around a trinity of Dale Cooper figures: the BOB-possessed Coop, the “good” Coop who’s been trapped in the Black Lodge for 25 years, and Dougie Jones…. "
— Matt Zoller Seitz | Vulture http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/twin-pea ... hback.html
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Just a thought about BOB (Birth Of Bob). He came to existence during that nuclear blast in the form of some egg without a shell, merely a slimy transparent substance encapsulates his being. It gives the impression of dealing with a so-called "half-born:" an entity unable to persist and exist completely by itself in earthly circumstances. In other words BOB always needs a host to operate on our surface.

It is said the the eerie sound during Bad Coop's dying scene derives from Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata; a 5X slower mutilated version. I believe that Lynch imagines death as a very very grand transformation where destruction and creation go hand in hand - a spiritual moment where Love and Fear coincide, which repeats the origin of all beginning. The atomic bomb is the result of two opposites phenomena creating a big bang: protons (bob-particles that can not survive on their own) coincide with unstable uranium atoms that will split into ... and so on, and so on.

Anyway, what I'm trying to tell is that BOB and doppelCoop can not exist on earth without each other. So far I did not recognise a complete excision or exorcising. The Woodsmen (radiation men) ritual rather stopped the extraction of the BOB-egg than expelling it. Bad Coop's miraculous resurrection (new creation/Lazarus/preservation of the symbiose) also points to that direction.

... hope this make sense, guess not ...
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
But it is weird in that the loaded gun doesn't fire. At all. It clicks as if it is empty. Mr C is typically good at predicting things that will happen, yet somehow has not foreseen this, being caught off guard and staring at his gun in disbelief (or confusion, or something - it's hard to read Bad Coop as he doesn't seem to do emotions).
There are lots of ways to modify a firearm so it won't fire. Easiest is to remove the firng pin. The bullets could also be dummies. Same weight and appearance as working bullets but no powder.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

thor008u2 wrote:
mtsi wrote:Trinity:

Father
Son
Holy Ghost

Experiment
BOB
The Woodsman
“It might or might not be significant that the first detonation was code named Trinity, and this series is built around a trinity of Dale Cooper figures: the BOB-possessed Coop, the “good” Coop who’s been trapped in the Black Lodge for 25 years, and Dougie Jones…. "
— Matt Zoller Seitz | Vulture http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/twin-pea ... hback.html
But theres only two Coopers.. The Bad Coop and the Good Cooper, which was trapped for 25 years and is now out and is thrown into, and constantly mistaken for, the life of Dougie Jones.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

The farm = Buela and Otis' place?
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

claaa7 wrote:The farm = Buela and Otis' place?
I like that idea. I'd like to see them again.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

HagbardCeline wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote:
But it is weird in that the loaded gun doesn't fire. At all. It clicks as if it is empty. Mr C is typically good at predicting things that will happen, yet somehow has not foreseen this, being caught off guard and staring at his gun in disbelief (or confusion, or something - it's hard to read Bad Coop as he doesn't seem to do emotions).
There are lots of ways to modify a firearm so it won't fire. Easiest is to remove the firng pin. The bullets could also be dummies. Same weight and appearance as working bullets but no powder.
Fair enough. Still a little weird that his otherwise astute supernatural intuition fails him on this occasion.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

claaa7 wrote:The farm = Buela and Otis' place?
Yes good idea. Might find out what was on the card Darya handed to the pair in the corner.
gravenimages

Post by gravenimages »

Probably wasn't overly intentional, but this was my first thought when seeing this scene -

dontlooknow

Post by dontlooknow »

Hey, nice forum!

Some input from a TP novice.

Returning to a question earlier in this thread, the circular optical effect at the very beginning of the intro credits seems to be a Glory.

And here is my naive take on what is happening in episode 8:

The warden leaves a sabotaged gun in the glove compartement, seemingly loaded but faulty, and tells Ray about it. Ray is able to shoot BadCoop. The woodsmen appear and (temporarily?) "lift" Bob out of his dying host, much to his liking judging from the smug look on his face. This is the first of two scenes presenting the woodsmen as helpers of Bob. The last take of the scene shows ascending smoke in front of the moon, maybe the woodsmen leaving the scene. Ray reports the possible death of BadCoop to "Phillip".

After NIN, we see that BadCoop survived. Is Bob still with him? Obviously we are not supposed to now right now. Instead we are shown the origin of Bob and several lesser spirits/demons, maybe including Mike: Somehow in connection with the explosion of the first atomic bomb a supernatural being ("mother" aka experiment) is able to insert several eggs into the world, among them Bob. The straight "vomit" of mother very much resembles the insertion of GoodCoop via a wall socket earlier in the series. The other spirits/demons gather in and around some mock-up convenience store near the test site.

A supernatural guardian being (aka The Giant) reacts to these events by creating Laura and inserting her into the world somewhere along the US-canadian border - Twin Peaks obviously.

In 1956 Bob's egg is ripe and he (in the form of a strange winged animal) hatches. The woodmen help him to inhabit his first host, some young girl.

It seems that Bob needs help when he
- inhabits a host
- his host dies
Rodigy

Post by Rodigy »

gravenimages wrote:Probably wasn't overly intentional, but this was my first thought when seeing this scene -

I thought of the same thing, but instead of Bob, it was the Woodsman.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

I also think 'the farm' is Buella's place. I was hoping to see more of that place.

BadCoop being shot: my first thought was that Ray and the warden found eachother by having a mutual enemy and doublecrossed BadCoop.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

So Gerard says: ''one of you must die''. I think by now it was proven to be quite hard to kill both the good and the bad Coop.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."