Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

gary2381
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by gary2381 »

One thought I had regarding the BadCoop - Bob - reviving; In FWWM, we saw Leland / Bob head to the Lodge entrance at Glastonberry grove after killing Laura. In the next scene, Mike / The Arm asks Bob for his garmonbozia. We are seeing Mike / The Arm from Bob's point of view. We then see another view of all of the people in the Red Room. You can see that Bob has now left Leland's body and is standing next to Leland. Leland is raised in the air (similar to ????? in this episode) and is tilted forward. Leland has blood near his stomach. Bob takes his hand and hold's it over the blood. Bob removes his hand and the blood is now gone. Bob dumps the blood on the floor. In the FWWM script it says that that action is Bob healing Leland's wound.

I am thinking that the Woodsmen had to extract Bob in order to heal BadCoop's wounds just as Bob had to leave Lelands body to heal his wound. It if very possible that Bob re-entered BadCoop once he was revived.

Also, some have mentioned about the "Good your still with me" quote while BadCoop was in prision. Checking the mirror he saw a faint reflection of Bob. Remember Bob feeds on Garmonbozia. BadCoop vomited quite a bit of Garmonbozia in the car accident so I would imagine that Bob is very weak without his creamed corn.
h2nho
Roadhouse Member

Post by h2nho »

Watching the episode for the first time, the lighting and projections on "The" NIN's amp made it look incredibly similar to the aesthetic for DoppleCoop's shooting scene. It looked so alien and otherworldly, I was shocked. The Roadhouse manipulated in such a beautiful way. Even the projections during the performance looked like tire treads, almost like Trent Reznor was following Ray in his getaway from the scene of the crime.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

HagbardCeline wrote:Ad someone else replied, the script may eventually find its way to the internet. If we end up with a 900 page script that has zero of the metaphysical/surreal stuff in it, then we'll know. If, however, the 900 page script is released and these scenes are fully scripted, then again, we'll know. When all 18 hours are available, we'll be able to see if the scenes can be re-ordered into a linear conventional storyline, and then we'll know.
But EW said the script was 400 pages! I know, I know, that number seems insanely low, and a lot of people seem to be assuming that was the original "9-part draft," and some extensive rewriting/restructuring doubled the page/part count. But this IS DKL, who turned an 8-page script into Eraserhead. And that EW article was written after production wrapped, and with DKL's full cooperation. If there were a revised, longer shooting script, why on Earth would DKL have given them the "first draft" page count? I think if anything L/F may have done IE-style writing of individual scenes during production (such as the infamous leaked "Art Life" page), but no full draft ever existed but the 400-page one.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Coffee wrote:Strikes me that a lot of people are probably watching the new series on uncalibrated televisions.
I think most viewers have been caught a bit off guard regarding the finer details in both sound and vision. I have been watching every episode on my laptop, using headphones, but it took me seven episodes to realize that we might have wildly different viewing experiences. During the end credits in the diner, I instantly heard the unsettling score behind the 50's tune, and my pulse was racing throughout (I was relieved when nothing happened in the diner). However, after the episode, I was amazed that seemingly just a small fraction of viewers had picked up on the underlying score.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

HagbardCeline wrote:
For episode 8, however, I watched a compressed streaming version and had no trouble seeing Bob either time. I was surprised when the Afterbuzz podcast people were convinced (except for one guy) that it wasn't Bob in the bubble, and a couple of them were adamant. I thought it was both clear as day and also clear that the Woodsmen had *removed* Bob.
That was pretty exasperating. I'm not going to give podcasters much rope for not knowing what they are talking about. Seems pretty common with television recap and review podcasts though.
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

Kyle said in an interview it was over 500 pages but this could just be him guessing / estimating

Eraserhead was 21 pages iirc

Friday Thought of the Day:

Has the Experiment been around forever, and birthing eggs in the netherworld which find their way to planet earth... only to now after the A Bomb birth a defective BOB egg.

OR

Was the Experiment also a creation in and of itself of the A Bomb

I'm leaning towards the 1st option. And I'm also thinking that other acts of evil of a seismic proportion within the world in the past resulted in the experiment releasing other deformed eggs like the BOB egg.

So the cycle is just continuing, we are only seeing this particular battle of good vs evil play out in the framework of Twin Peaks.

- - -

I, like Lynch practice TM daily, and my reading of most of Episode 8 is more towards the field of pure consciousness and the act of meditating. It's hard to put into words, but the Experiment I interpret as the suffocating rubber clown suit, or the ideas which float along the surface of everyday living, the fears, anxieties, sorrow, anger, pain, suffering etc.. and this all plays out in the A Bomb & convenient store sequences. The endless purple ocean, both simultaneously calming and full of wonder is the ocean of pure bliss consciousness. Here we find the light which extinguishes the darkness, darkness can't be dark if the windows are open and the room is flooded with light. The most brilliant idea can be born forth in this space, and then taken into the real world to be used for good. The woodsmen are the worldly physical manifestation of the suffocating rubber clown suit experiment mother thing. Maybe the experiment isn't innately evil, but while giving birth to all things, mistakes can and will be made.

This probably makes no sense but it's my feelings at this moment.
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

h2nho wrote:Watching the episode for the first time, the lighting and projections on "The" NIN's amp made it look incredibly similar to the aesthetic for DoppleCoop's shooting scene. It looked so alien and otherworldly, I was shocked. The Roadhouse manipulated in such a beautiful way. Even the projections during the performance looked like tire treads, almost like Trent Reznor was following Ray in his getaway from the scene of the crime.
Aye, it clearly had "something" which the other Roadhouse acts didn't have.
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

did anyone else make the connection between The Farm Ray and Mr Cooper were doing, and the Farmer credited in Part 7 , confronted by Andy and owner of the truck Richard Horne ran the kid over with.

I think that place might be The Farm. Could the house with the door left ajar be where Dougie was "manufactured" or "farmed" ???
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

Pretty sure the farm is the place where you saw Otis and Buella
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

good call, we'll see in part 9 i guess though
Elric99
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elric99 »

The Brown Lodge wrote:Pretty sure the farm is the place where you saw Otis and Buella
Or it is also a name that Area 51 has been known by.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

homieonice wrote:did anyone else make the connection between The Farm Ray and Mr Cooper were doing, and the Farmer credited in Part 7 , confronted by Andy and owner of the truck Richard Horne ran the kid over with.
It's a world of truck drivers.
homieonice wrote:I think that place might be The Farm. Could the house with the door left ajar be where Dougie was "manufactured" or "farmed" ???
Torn between this and Otis' place as The Farm. The latter also strikes me as some kind of safe house or hangout for the kind of people who don't want to be found, like the fence house in LH. I'm not keen on the Area 51 possibility only because it opens the door to elements of TSHOTP which I think should remain on paper, as speculation, and not fleshed out as things definitively happening.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

I think the last thing the show needs right now is to go to area 51 and come up with a whole new mythos about aliens and ufos.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

The Brown Lodge wrote:I think the last thing the show needs right now is to go to area 51 and come up with a whole new mythos about aliens and ufos.
Beautiful as episode 8 was, it also revealed some of my biggest fears: Whereas season 1 and 2 was about humans being troubled/blessed by supernatural phenomena, season 3 could well become a battle between supernatural entities occasionally bothered by humans.
F*U*Tammy

Post by F*U*Tammy »

Novalis wrote:
homieonice wrote:did anyone else make the connection between The Farm Ray and Mr Cooper were doing, and the Farmer credited in Part 7 , confronted by Andy and owner of the truck Richard Horne ran the kid over with.
It's a world of truck drivers.
homieonice wrote:I think that place might be The Farm. Could the house with the door left ajar be where Dougie was "manufactured" or "farmed" ???
Torn between this and Otis' place as The Farm. The latter also strikes me as some kind of safe house or hangout for the kind of people who don't want to be found, like the fence house in LH. I'm not keen on the Area 51 possibility only because it opens the door to elements of TSHOTP which I think should remain on paper, as speculation, and not fleshed out as things definitively happening.
I think the place in/near Twin Peaks with the Farmer was The Farm. When DoppleCooper asked Ray about it, he made it seem like it was a place he hadn't been. Not an exact quote but he basically asked: "Are you heading to the place they call The Farm?" Considering that DoppleCooper picked Ray up from Buella's place, it would be really weird for him to describe her place in that way. He probably would have just asked Ray if he was headed back to Buella's. In my opinion, of course. :)