Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by thedougpa »

F*U*Tammy wrote:
Novalis wrote:
homieonice wrote:did anyone else make the connection between The Farm Ray and Mr Cooper were doing, and the Farmer credited in Part 7 , confronted by Andy and owner of the truck Richard Horne ran the kid over with.
It's a world of truck drivers.
homieonice wrote:I think that place might be The Farm. Could the house with the door left ajar be where Dougie was "manufactured" or "farmed" ???
Torn between this and Otis' place as The Farm. The latter also strikes me as some kind of safe house or hangout for the kind of people who don't want to be found, like the fence house in LH. I'm not keen on the Area 51 possibility only because it opens the door to elements of TSHOTP which I think should remain on paper, as speculation, and not fleshed out as things definitively happening.
I think the place in/near Twin Peaks with the Farmer was The Farm. When DoppleCooper asked Ray about it, he made it seem like it was a place he hadn't been. Not an exact quote but he basically asked: "Are you heading to the place they call The Farm?" Considering that DoppleCooper picked Ray up from Buella's place, it would be really weird for him to describe her place in that way. He probably would have just asked Ray if he was headed back to Buella's. In my opinion, of course. :)
Iirc, he does say "I bet you'd like to go back to the Farm"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F*U*Tammy

Post by F*U*Tammy »

thedougpa wrote:
F*U*Tammy wrote:
Novalis wrote:
It's a world of truck drivers.

Torn between this and Otis' place as The Farm. The latter also strikes me as some kind of safe house or hangout for the kind of people who don't want to be found, like the fence house in LH. I'm not keen on the Area 51 possibility only because it opens the door to elements of TSHOTP which I think should remain on paper, as speculation, and not fleshed out as things definitively happening.
I think the place in/near Twin Peaks with the Farmer was The Farm. When DoppleCooper asked Ray about it, he made it seem like it was a place he hadn't been. Not an exact quote but he basically asked: "Are you heading to the place they call The Farm?" Considering that DoppleCooper picked Ray up from Buella's place, it would be really weird for him to describe her place in that way. He probably would have just asked Ray if he was headed back to Buella's. In my opinion, of course. :)

Just r-watched the scene. It's "you'd probably like to go to that place they call 'The Farm'."
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

It's funny how people who don't like the pacing of the show can't stop from imagining that Lynch isn't making the show that he wants because he just arbitrarily decided to double it and the only way he could do that was to make things move real real slow. :P

That should sound ridiculous, because it is.

Lynch and Frost are making the show exactly the way they want. The pacing has to do with wanting estrangement and at times ... real life moment to moment pacing. :shock:
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

F*U*Tammy wrote:
thedougpa wrote:
F*U*Tammy wrote:

Just r-watched the scene. It's "you'd probably like to go to that place they call 'The Farm'."
It hadn't even occurred to me that 'the farm' might be anywhere other than Buella's... It's where Ray and Darya were met/picked up by the doppelgänger, and they (or at least, Ray) had some sort of connection to the place- it seems an obvious place Ray would want to hide out. That location is one of the most mysterious ones we've been to so far, and I hope we get to go back there in the next episode.

Also, I'm hoping to get to learn more of what Ray's deal is. He's working with Jefferies; he's never seemed at all phased by doppelcooper and all his surrounding weirdness (at least until the woodsmen's ritual); he has a connection to what I presume is 'the farm' and its curious inhabitants- so he's clearly not your run of the mill criminal for hire.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:It's funny how people who don't like the pacing of the show can't stop from imagining that Lynch isn't making the show that he wants because he just arbitrarily decided to double it and the only way he could do that was to make things move real real slow. :P

Lynch and Frost are making the show exactly the way they want. The pacing has to do with wanting estrangement and at times ... real life moment to moment pacing. :shock:
I'm with you 100%.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I'm sure this has been covered but it's virtually impossible to keep tabs on this discussion anymore...

How the HELL did we figure out there was going to be an A-bomb explosion a year ago?! I can't remember, and that def didn't look like some easily-observable location shoot.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

LateReg wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:It's funny how people who don't like the pacing of the show can't stop from imagining that Lynch isn't making the show that he wants because he just arbitrarily decided to double it and the only way he could do that was to make things move real real slow. :P

I'm with you 100%.
Cheers!

Notice that some people seem to be positing the contradictory position that 1) Lynch has too much control of each and every detail like an obsessive master designer and 2) Lynch just arbitrarily doubles the narrative for no apparent reason, except perhaps profit (not a very smart way to earn your money).
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

LostInTheMovies wrote:I'm sure this has been covered but it's virtually impossible to keep tabs on this discussion anymore...

How the HELL did we figure out there was going to be an A-bomb explosion a year ago?! I can't remember, and that def didn't look like some easily-observable location shoot.
Pretty sure this was a tease given to us by Arbogast.
F*U*Tammy

Post by F*U*Tammy »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:
It hadn't even occurred to me that 'the farm' might be anywhere other than Buella's... It's where Ray and Darya were met/picked up by the doppelgänger, and they (or at least, Ray) had some sort of connection to the place- it seems an obvious place Ray would want to hide out. That location is one of the most mysterious ones we've been to so far, and I hope we get to go back there in the next episode.

Also, I'm hoping to get to learn more of what Ray's deal is. He's working with Jefferies; he's never seemed at all phased by doppelcooper and all his surrounding weirdness (at least until the woodsmen's ritual); he has a connection to what I presume is 'the farm' and its curious inhabitants- so he's clearly not your run of the mill criminal for hire.
I'm just saying that the phrasing is incredibly awkward if DoppleCooper is referring to a place that both of them had just been a few days (weeks?) earlier. If he was talking about Buella's it would have made more sense to just say he's heading back to the farm or Buella's farm or something. DoppleCooper doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would use a cute rhetorical flourish to describe a place they both knew.

And, it just seems a little too coincidental that they're talking about The Farm, when just last week the character named The Farmer disappeared under mysterious circumstances. I'm thinking these two incidents were shown out of sequence and are linked to each other.

Plus, it makes sense that the characters would be making their ways back to Twin Peaks. The Cooper vs. Evil Cooper showdown isn't going to happen in South Dakota, YKWIM?
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
Is Obvious that the series is playing with time! the first scene of gigant and cooper probably is a scene of the past!! ( black and White), the scene where Hawk is walking by the forest very probably is of the future! Is very strange that Hawk didn´t say anything of glanstonbury grove in the chapters of after.

Are mixing the future and past in the series. i don´t know if there are alternate timelines on the series or if will have in the future, but the time and their possible distorsions are beeing very important in the series.

How you can see, to Lynch and Frost like play with time. i wouldn´t be so radical in this Topic.
Actually, Hawk DID talk to Truman about Cooper emerging from the Black Lodge. He maybe didn't mention the name of the grove specifically.

I still don't think the series is playing around with time as much (or at all) as so many people on here seem to desperately want it to be. I think the two actual shifts in time were explicitly told to us because they put on the screen what years it was. Otherwise, absolutely nothing indicates to me that Cooper/Giant has to be in the past (looks to me like it's black and white in the White Lodge all the time) or that Hawk was in the future. The Log Lady called Hawk right before he reached the grove. Was that a call from the future? No!
F*U*Tammy

Post by F*U*Tammy »

I'm watching everything again in the break between episodes, and I just noticed that the carpet in Naido's room is the same as the carpet in ??????? and Dido's room. I can't screenshot it, but if you go to episode 3 on the Amazon Prime stream you'll see it right around the 4:56 mark when Naido is shown sitting on the sofa. It's very subtle, but you can see it at her feet as the fireplace flickers.

This, in addition to the purple ocean and the bell electrode-thingy, confirms that the three (four, with Mother I guess) of them are in the same place IMO. No idea what that means, but it's interesting. :lol:
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Cooper lied about Darya....so who knows what the farms means.....I assumed he was being snarky by telling Ray "I bet you'd like to go to the farm"(paraphrased). To me, he was, in a sly way, telling Ray that he's "about to buy the farm." Ray just doesn't know it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Judging by how DoppleCoop and Ray greeted each other in the prison corridor (recall Leland and Cooper doppleganger greeting in the waiting room corridor in episode 29), I assumed that Ray was some kind of a lodge entity, a lesser one if it can be defined that way. I had mentioned it in the episode 7 thread. The whole Buella scene was grotesque, and Ottis does facially resemble (as greatly pointed out by another person, be it here or on Reddit), Senior Droolcup from younger days! To be honest, that place felt like a Black Lodge entry point to me, I would not be surprised if it led to the FWWM convenience store like place, we'll see. I mean why would Darya freak out at seeing the Ace card unless she knew that DoppleCoop would send here directly to that entity?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I am curious about what happened to Principal Hastings. His wife has been murdered by his lawyer's gun and he doesn't remember anything
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Panapaok »

sylviecerise wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:I'm sure this has been covered but it's virtually impossible to keep tabs on this discussion anymore...

Pretty sure this was a tease given to us by Arbogast.
By cowwithfivelegs.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.