Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by The Brown Lodge »

If the giant is the fireman, is he "putting out the fire" of Bob by extinguishing it with a Laura orb?
seacow

Post by seacow »

boske wrote:
pixletwin wrote:About the flash forward theory... forgive me if it's already been brought up but the man from the insurance agency who wants to speak to Sheriff Truman in episode one only makes sense if it's a flash forward... or it was just a device to let us know there are two sherif Trumans...

*shrugs*
Lucy has his business card, yet we never hear what his name was or what company he works for. Lucky 7?
He's only credited as 'Man in Suit.' Not sure why an insurance agent from Las Vegas would be in TP, but who knows. You can see a little bit of his card in Lucy's hand and it has a rectangular blue shape on it, nothing that looks like the Lucky 7 logo to me though.
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

claaa7 wrote:cool to see the soundtrack listing, I knew it was Grady Tate who came back for some more Twin Peaks grooves. Heavy shit!
The Grady Tate track is from the original series, sadly. Appears in the Twin Peaks Archive as "Solo Percussion 2 (Grady's Waltz)".
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

I find it funny and somehow fitting that the supernatural poems from The Return and the Original Series both have a phrase that can be heard 2 separate ways.

"One chants out" vs "One chance out"

"Drink full and descend" vs "Drink full and ascend"

Strange bit of accidental duality in a narrative full of intentional duality.
Welcome...to the third...place.
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

sewhite2000 wrote:
pixletwin wrote:About the flash forward theory... forgive me if it's already been brought up but the man from the insurance agency who wants to speak to Sheriff Truman in episode one only makes sense if it's a flash forward... or it was just a device to let us know there are two sherif Trumans...

*shrugs*
I have no idea why the appearance of the insurance agent implies any sort of flash forward. There's nothing mysterious going on in that scene. Lucy tells him there are two Sheriff Trumans, which there are!
That scene is about messing up with us and continuing what started with Jacoby's scene... making us feel like it's not the time yet to return to Twin Peaks.

The last time there was a vendor like this asking after Harry, it was a terribly important character (Philip). Now it's purely a red herring. It introduces the "two sheriffs Truman" plot point, which would have been properly baffling if we had not read TSH or knew in advance that Ontkean wasn't returning and Forster was playing a Truman. As it is, the real impact and purpose of that scene was kind of spoiled. Thirdly, this was our second "false introduction". Like they trolled us by opening with Jacoby doing something really mysterious in the woods - people will remember that the original Twin Peaks rather opened with the crucial scene that set up the core mystery - and Lynch filmed the whole thing from afar, with barely intelligible dialogue.. we're outsiders and not really ready to return to town just yet. We could observe from afar, but not "help". The Lucy scene did something similar. Originally Lucy was our gateway character into the central location of the police station. Lucy scenes absurdly but generally warmly welcomed us in the "back rooms" where we'd find the rest of the characters. This time, Lucy turned us down. She guarded the door with an absurd enigma, and failing to get the answer she wanted, she turned us away. Better luck next time, there's nothing more for you here right now.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

boske wrote:

*shrugs*
Lucy has his business card, yet we never hear what his name was or what company he works for. Lucky 7?

That guy really reminds me of the unmedicated Philip Gerard when he turned up trying to sell shoes to Sheriff Truman...
james.mooney.

Re: RE: Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by james.mooney. »

Mallard wrote:I find it funny and somehow fitting that the supernatural poems from The Return and the Original Series both have a phrase that can be heard 2 separate ways.

"One chants out" vs "One chance out"

"Drink full and descend" vs "Drink full and ascend"

Strange bit of accidental duality in a narrative full of intentional duality.
Also, one is about fire and one is about water.

I suspect that the water is garmonbozia, and the well is humankind. The woodsman even nodded toward the human DJ when saying the poem, and he let the DJ suffer in pain and fear the entire time he was reciting it, not ending the man's suffering by killing him until he was finished.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
james.mooney.

Re: RE: Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by james.mooney. »

Dom834 wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:

*shrugs*
I have no idea why the appearance of the insurance agent implies any sort of flash forward. There's nothing mysterious going on in that scene. Lucy tells him there are two Sheriff Trumans, which there are!
That scene is about messing up with us and continuing what started with Jacoby's scene... making us feel like it's not the time yet to return to Twin Peaks.

The last time there was a vendor like this asking after Harry, it was a terribly important character (Philip). Now it's purely a red herring. It introduces the "two sheriffs Truman" plot point, which would have been properly baffling if we had not read TSH or knew in advance that Ontkean wasn't returning and Forster was playing a Truman. As it is, the real impact and purpose of that scene was kind of spoiled. Thirdly, this was our second "false introduction". Like they trolled us by opening with Jacoby doing something really mysterious in the woods - people will remember that the original Twin Peaks rather opened with the crucial scene that set up the core mystery - and Lynch filmed the whole thing from afar, with barely intelligible dialogue.. we're outsiders and not really ready to return to town just yet. We could observe from afar, but not "help". The Lucy scene did something similar. Originally Lucy was our gateway character into the central location of the police station. Lucy scenes absurdly but generally warmly welcomed us in the "back rooms" where we'd find the rest of the characters. This time, Lucy turned us down. She guarded the door with an absurd enigma, and failing to get the answer she wanted, she turned us away. Better luck next time, there's nothing more for you here right now.
Interesting, and makes a lot of sense. I didn't go as deep as you did in my interpretation. I saw it simply as serving the dual narrative/expository purpose of reintroducing us to Lucy and introducing the ideas of two Sheriffs Truman...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
G42.2
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42.2 »

I just drew America's new favorite nuclear family. Aren't they adorable?

rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Swore I wouldn't rewatch that...but I did.

Cut out the music video and the elongated bomb b.s. and pop the Cooper shooting to the end and it'd have been an awesome episode...
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

G42.2 wrote:I just drew America's new favorite nuclear family. Aren't they adorable?

Love this!

It actually highlights to me why Lynch chose the imagery of a burned woodsman. It's the detonation of an American icon.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

wxray wrote:ronamer.JPG
Hmmm. I'm just noticing American Girl's bobbed hairdo is identical to the hairdo Diane has only one is black hair, one is platinum.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
dontlooknow wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote: I honestly don't know much about guns. Is the firing pin the thing that makes the gun click when it's empty?
yes, afaik. or rather: the mechanism hitting something inside the gun (instead of hitting the primer in the bullet).

the easiest way to sabotage a gun so that it looks loaded and ready but isnt, would be loading it with inert bullets. although that would make a different (more dull) sound: the firing pin or striker would hit the back of the inert bullet without causing the explosion and subsequent burning of the propellant.

but i dont think the soundman thought about that when he put in the clicking sounds as badcoop tries to fire the revolver :)

btw it's interesting that badcoop doesnt request more ammunition from the warden. six bullets are more than enough for him it seems
Interesting that he needed a gun when he could've just given Ray a face massage. :-)

I would be genuinely interested to learn if the clicking of the gun is an error, or deliberate. Much like the scene in the diner, with its either deliberate or accidental continuity error. Of course, we may never get these answers.
Noticed another one. Last scene of 8 shows the dark man leaving the radio station without a smoke in hand or mouth yet shot of him walking away has one in right hand...
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

sewhite2000 wrote:Oh my gosh, all you people who think Hawk at Glastonbury Grove is a flash-forward, you are WRONG.

I don't know why this theory is so popular. I have to have read 50 different people say this on this website. And everybody says the exact same thing: he didn't mention it to anybody! So it's a flash forward! What? I don't get it! That is a logic jump I don't see.
When the show is over, and this is not revealed to be a time-jump, all of you can let me know I was right and you were wrong.
Okay, but why was Hawk even out in Glastonbury Grove at all? He had no reason to be out there! And if he saw shimmering red curtains appear in the woods suddenly, why wouldn't he have mentioned that to someone? Tell me what happened in that episode to make Hawk go out to Glastonbury Grove in the middle of the night. It takes a much greater logical leap that he'd just happen to be out there right when the curtains appeared.
Last edited by HagbardCeline on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

Jerry Horne wrote:
sycamore wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
I want the whole experience. 18 hours in a movie theater. (To save time we can cut the bands such as the outrageously long NIN song)
Come to Oakland CA! I feel soooo lucky to have seen this episode at the Parkway Theatre on a big screen and with big sound! And yes, they're showing all 18 episodes ... and serving homemade cherry pie! Seeing Twin Peaks: The Return on a movie screen every week is wonderful. Seeing THIS episode on the big screen - that ranks as maybe the best experience I've ever had in the cinema. Bravo Pure Heroin Lynch!! Tonight was a once in a lifetime experience. Poetic filmmaking. I'm in awe.
Dang. Lucky you!
It is happening again! Because of the one week hiatus, the Parkway Theatre in Oakland CA will be showing a repeat of Part 8 this Sunday 7/2 at 8pm. There's nothing like seeing Part 8 on the big screen with big sound. Watching on my iPad paled in comparison. It's not the biggest screen in the world, but their 20 foot by 12 foot screen is great! Come one, come all! If you're in the San Francisco Bay Area, you've simply got to do this or regret it for the rest of your life! If you're further away ... your call. David Lynch would be thrilled knowing you saw his masterpiece big and loud! Just don't watch it on your f'n iPhone! :wink:

http://www.thenewparkway.com
Last edited by sycamore on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.