Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

claaa7
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:47 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby claaa7 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:17 am

kind of interesting, about a CD-Rom game Lynch wanted to develop back in '99. Quoted from The City of Absurdity,

"The CD-rom game was "blocked from the get-go" in November 1999, because it would have been "completely boring to game buffs".
David Lynch wanted a "conundrum thing... a beautiful kind of place to put yourself. You try to make a little bit of mystery and a bit of a story, but you want it to be able to bend back upon itself and get lost."

"It was called... Woodcutters from Fiery Ships... Ceratin events have happened in a bungalow which is behind another in Los Angeles. And then suddenly the woodcutters arrive and they take the man who we think has witnessed these events, and their ship is... uh, silver, like a 30`s kind of ship, and the fuel is logs. And they smoke pipes." (David Lynch, in The Guardian, November 1999)"
User avatar
boske
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:15 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby boske » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:21 am

I forgot to say it, but what had struck me right away was another resemblance: the announcer for NiN does look like late Jimmy Scott, it was no accidient. The same with Otis and Senior Droolcup.
User avatar
bob_wooler
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:00 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby bob_wooler » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:24 am

Sarah, Log Lady, Coopers mother, even Shelley, I'm sure that '56-girl could be anyone. Most likely, imo, she's an unknown character to the original TP-saga. Personally, I'm rooting for Buella.
User avatar
wxray
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby wxray » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:59 am

bob_wooler wrote:Sarah, Log Lady, Coopers mother, even Shelley, I'm sure that '56-girl could be anyone. Most likely, imo, she's an unknown character to the original TP-saga. Personally, I'm rooting for Buella.


She's an all American Girl.
User avatar
Voided
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:08 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Voided » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:07 am

wxray wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:Sarah, Log Lady, Coopers mother, even Shelley, I'm sure that '56-girl could be anyone. Most likely, imo, she's an unknown character to the original TP-saga. Personally, I'm rooting for Buella.


She's an all American Girl.


At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the girl is strictly symbolic and just representative of the effects of a new kind of evil on the next generation. The end of fifties innocence.
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.
User avatar
bob_wooler
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:00 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby bob_wooler » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:38 am

Something new: The part 13 description is here:
Spoiler:
"What story is that, Charlie?"
User avatar
crazyscottishguy
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:17 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby crazyscottishguy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:43 pm

User avatar
wxray
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby wxray » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Voided wrote:
wxray wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:Sarah, Log Lady, Coopers mother, even Shelley, I'm sure that '56-girl could be anyone. Most likely, imo, she's an unknown character to the original TP-saga. Personally, I'm rooting for Buella.


She's an all American Girl.


At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the girl is strictly symbolic and just representative of the effects of a new kind of evil on the next generation. The end of fifties innocence.

Exactly.
User avatar
BigEd
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby BigEd » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Voided wrote:
wxray wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:Sarah, Log Lady, Coopers mother, even Shelley, I'm sure that '56-girl could be anyone. Most likely, imo, she's an unknown character to the original TP-saga. Personally, I'm rooting for Buella.


She's an all American Girl.


At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the girl is strictly symbolic and just representative of the effects of a new kind of evil on the next generation. The end of fifties innocence.


The girl is Mrs. Tremond's daughter. That winged frog existed inside her for decades until it burst out Alien style and became the Tremond grandson who wear a mask with a beak and jumps around (just like the winged frog that he was in his larval state). Grandmother raised the little beast/demon and got sucked into the whole black lodge thing.

(just made up crap, but who knows???)
User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Jasper » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Interview with the lead Woodsman:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hollywoo ... re-1018088


This is a fun interview. I like Robert Broski's approach to life.

What's particularly interesting is the revelation that the production did not go looking for an Abraham Lincoln lookalike. An Abe Lincoln lookalike came to them, and this fact makes it quite likely that the scene with 50s girl picking up the penny was an inspired bit of improvisation by Lynch which took place after casting. It's not a 100% guarantee that the casting of the woodsman actor brought about the penny bit, but I think that it's far more likely than not.

melted_penny.jpg
melted_penny.jpg (6.44 KiB) Viewed 3875 times
User avatar
mtsi
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:56 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby mtsi » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:06 pm

Pardon if I missed a post, but hasn't anyone thought that maybe these 2 are 'Richard and Linda?'

Those aren't modern names, so it could stand to reason. Lynch loves having 2 of everything and I feel like Richard Horne is a red herring. Could be wrong, tho.

Anywho....just thinking out loud.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
User avatar
Wonderful & Strange
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Wonderful & Strange » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:44 pm

I think Lynch may be more into threes this season. We see that with Cooper but also things like the three brother cops and the three showgirls.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Daliz
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:04 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Daliz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Just rewatched this episode. I can't remember discussion of these:

1) Just after the experiment vomits Bob & the eggs, we see again some explosion-like imagery and a gold nugget. We kind of zoom into it and soon after the ocean appears and ??????? scene starts. What's the nugget?

2) After ??????? shuts down the alarm and looks at the woman, there is a strange buzzing sound. It's like ??????? is saying something to the woman, maybe it's their way of communicating. It can only be heard while he looks at her and it immediately stops when he turns away. I didn't hear it the first time using speakers but this time I was using hifi headphones and immediately noticed it.
User avatar
OrsonWelles
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:50 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby OrsonWelles » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:29 pm

claaa7 wrote:kind of interesting, about a CD-Rom game Lynch wanted to develop back in '99. Quoted from The City of Absurdity,

"The CD-rom game was "blocked from the get-go" in November 1999, because it would have been "completely boring to game buffs".
David Lynch wanted a "conundrum thing... a beautiful kind of place to put yourself. You try to make a little bit of mystery and a bit of a story, but you want it to be able to bend back upon itself and get lost."

"It was called... Woodcutters from Fiery Ships... Ceratin events have happened in a bungalow which is behind another in Los Angeles. And then suddenly the woodcutters arrive and they take the man who we think has witnessed these events, and their ship is... uh, silver, like a 30`s kind of ship, and the fuel is logs. And they smoke pipes." (David Lynch, in The Guardian, November 1999)"


Sounds like a game that would be published today. Dear Esther, Virgina, Firewatch, Gone Home, Kentucky route zero,...
User avatar
homieonice
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby homieonice » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:09 am

Daliz wrote:Just rewatched this episode. I can't remember discussion of these:

1) Just after the experiment vomits Bob & the eggs, we see again some explosion-like imagery and a gold nugget. We kind of zoom into it and soon after the ocean appears and ??????? scene starts. What's the nugget?

2) After ??????? shuts down the alarm and looks at the woman, there is a strange buzzing sound. It's like ??????? is saying something to the woman, maybe it's their way of communicating. It can only be heard while he looks at her and it immediately stops when he turns away. I didn't hear it the first time using speakers but this time I was using hifi headphones and immediately noticed it.




I watched it for the 2nd time last night and saw the gold nugget too!

Maybe it's just a way of transitioning into the white lodge / realm of non-existence / fireman tower OR maybe you could read it as the birth of this place, like the ABomb also birthed the BOB egg
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!

Return to “Parts Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests