Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

LateReg
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby LateReg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I think we can perceive it as a birthing of BOB into our reality. BOB can already exist in some way and be birthed into our reality.


Why aren't people okay with Bob being "born" in 1945? It doesn't mean evil didn't exist in the world before that, or even in Twin Peaks. Mark's book indicates a lot of this mythology goes back to Native American heritage that predates what we saw in Part 8. I would say perhaps Mother/Experiment existed before the nuke and then she created Bob and all the other countless evil "children?" That the nuke testing allowed the parallel universes to finally intersect? Though the name "Experiment" also indicates maybe she was born of the nuclear experiments, also.


If anything, this "origin story" explains why Bob looks like a denim-clad white dude, despite being part of a larger mythology that predates caucasians in the US. He's just one particular iteration/manifestation of something larger (and his "Depression-era drifter" look totally works for the 1945 era's stereotypical image of danger).


That's pretty damn good!
eponymos
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby eponymos » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Some thoughts about the main occult story symbols (I thought this fit in this thread)

The main (repeated) story of Twin Peaks is the lower soul (or intellect, Agent Cooper) reaching out and trying to identify with the oversoul (or causal body, Laura).This basic twin soul symbology is what is the fundamental "love story" of all time.

There's also a reoccuring symbol of the power of the "lower sheaths" or "shadow" and that is the black magician BOB. Regarding this shadow, the occult idea is that that entity is the "shell" consisting of rejected material after a spirit has transcended into higher realms after death. The lower sheaths (including the physical body) will undergo piecemeal disintegration over an extended time until the life energy has dissipated. These remnants are what also manifests as "ghosts."

Astral entities can then inhabit these shells and use them for their own purposes and in cases of demonic possession some entity can force itself onto a human being and use these as a vehicle. In Cooper's case, it seems BOB (the black magician) has managed to separate Cooper's lower sheaths from his higher ones ("Laura" symbolically) when Cooper failed to keep his composure in the Red Room (screaming Laura/BOB/dweller on the threshold), and that is what exited the Black Lodge.

I think something similar happened to Philipp Jeffries and Major Briggs (and Chet Desmond?). It seems like BOB can copy a set of lower sheaths using ritual magic, and that would explain both Dougie and present day decapitated Major Briggs - they seem to be used as vehicles for entities like BOB (and the woodsmen?)

The main problem that Cooper now has is that he lacks the intellect part of his soul. His intuition and emotional parts are there, but his intellect is "stolen" by his Doppelgänger, and for karmic and fatal reasons they can't both occupy this plane at the same time, or Bad things will happen (maybe BOBs plan all along?).

In light of this, Experiment would then be the egregore of a coven of black magicians - "The Black Lodge", which currently someone is trying to manifest in the "Manhattan Project". The glass box seems to be very efficient in summoning astral entities, and it seems the sexual energy did the trick (did the coffee summon Cooper??)
User avatar
BigEd
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby BigEd » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:27 pm

eponymos wrote:Some thoughts about the main occult story symbols (I thought this fit in this thread)

The main (repeated) story of Twin Peaks is the lower soul (or intellect, Agent Cooper) reaching out and trying to identify with the oversoul (or causal body, Laura).This basic twin soul symbology is what is the fundamental "love story" of all time.

There's also a reoccuring symbol of the power of the "lower sheaths" or "shadow" and that is the black magician BOB. Regarding this shadow, the occult idea is that that entity is the "shell" consisting of rejected material after a spirit has transcended into higher realms after death. The lower sheaths (including the physical body) will undergo piecemeal disintegration over an extended time until the life energy has dissipated. These remnants are what also manifests as "ghosts."

Astral entities can then inhabit these shells and use them for their own purposes and in cases of demonic possession some entity can force itself onto a human being and use these as a vehicle. In Cooper's case, it seems BOB (the black magician) has managed to separate Cooper's lower sheaths from his higher ones ("Laura" symbolically) when Cooper failed to keep his composure in the Red Room (screaming Laura/BOB/dweller on the threshold), and that is what exited the Black Lodge.

I think something similar happened to Philipp Jeffries and Major Briggs (and Chet Desmond?). It seems like BOB can copy a set of lower sheaths using ritual magic, and that would explain both Dougie and present day decapitated Major Briggs - they seem to be used as vehicles for entities like BOB (and the woodsmen?)

The main problem that Cooper now has is that he lacks the intellect part of his soul. His intuition and emotional parts are there, but his intellect is "stolen" by his Doppelgänger, and for karmic and fatal reasons they can't both occupy this plane at the same time, or Bad things will happen (maybe BOBs plan all along?).

In light of this, Experiment would then be the egregore of a coven of black magicians - "The Black Lodge", which currently someone is trying to manifest in the "Manhattan Project". The glass box seems to be very efficient in summoning astral entities, and it seems the sexual energy did the trick (did the coffee summon Cooper??)


I appreciate your effort but, quite honestly, I didn't understand a word of what you posted. :?
eponymos
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby eponymos » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:33 pm

BigEd wrote:I appreciate your effort but, quite honestly, I didn't understand a word of what you posted. :?


Might be channeling Lynch, then :o
User avatar
PeteMartell
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby PeteMartell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:46 pm

I disagree, seems like epynomous is bringing up some very good points here. The idea of Phillip Jeffries and cooper as "sheaths" for bob, or whatever kind of evil energy he represents, to inhabit makes sense. I wonder, though, about Briggs. Was he inhabited? Or was he involved in some different kind of situation? It seems to me that the indication that his body is 30 years younger than it should be implies that perhaps instead of time travel, maybe he was actually traveling at the speed of light. Possibly to Bob's home planet?
User avatar
Deep Thought
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:05 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Deep Thought » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:12 pm

giant 2.jpg
giant 2.jpg (177.2 KiB) Viewed 4354 times
Giant 1.jpg
Giant 1.jpg (33.6 KiB) Viewed 4354 times


The giant as a creator giving birth through a golden uterus vindicates Martha Nochimson’s reading of the giant as a feminine entity based on the covering of his male genitalia while standing above Cooper. Her theories have always held a great deal of weight with me. Hopefully she will revisit Lynch once again after The Return.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
eponymos
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby eponymos » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:01 pm

PeteMartell wrote:I disagree, seems like epynomous is bringing up some very good points here. The idea of Phillip Jeffries and cooper as "sheaths" for bob, or whatever kind of evil energy he represents, to inhabit makes sense. I wonder, though, about Briggs. Was he inhabited? Or was he involved in some different kind of situation? It seems to me that the indication that his body is 30 years younger than it should be implies that perhaps instead of time travel, maybe he was actually traveling at the speed of light. Possibly to Bob's home planet?


Do we know when Dougie Jones was manufactured? Seems to me that BOB (or whoever did it) was not constrained to the specific moment when the original doppelgänger was created, this might have happened at a later date. If my theory is correct, then we would see multiple persons in the TP universe that really are doppelgängers (copies) of real people and have black (sheath) souls, like Dougie had when he became disembodied in the Red Room (as opposed to Windham Earle and the hit-and-run victim having golden/fiery souls.) I'm quite sure Briggs body is manufactured in the same way as Dougie, and that the woodsmen somehow are involved with that.

I also think there's a correspondence between MIKE, (Doppel-)Jeffries, Earle, Leland and Doppelcoop in that at a point in time all had a partnership with BOB, although I don't think MIKE was originally a doppelgänger but rather a Leland-type magic dabbler/victim ("I let him in...").

Now Doppelcooper or BOB wants to "be with" the top demon (Experiment, the entity on the playing card), but we don't know which entity expressed itself in the motel room with Daria. If it was Mr. C, then the relationship with BOB might be strained and BOB needed to escape Mr. C. If it was BOB, then BOB is probably still "in" Mr. C., the episode with the woodsmen and BOB-orb was ambiguous for this reason I think.

I would guess also that the glass box is a Jeffries project to try to create a portal or conduit with the Experiment entity and somehow "the coordinates" are related to this. The way that the site was abandoned after the murder and there being no leads for the FBI I think points to the disembodied (Doppel?)Jeffries being behind it.

Maybe we'll see BOB/Jeffries/Doppelcoop chasing after Experiment and DougieCoop trying to find Laura? Obviously symmetric stories ...
eponymos
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby eponymos » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Deep Thought wrote:giant 2.jpgGiant 1.jpg

The giant as a creator giving birth through a golden uterus vindicates Martha Nochimson’s reading of the giant as a feminine entity based on the covering of his male genitalia while standing above Cooper. Her theories have always held a great deal of weight with me. Hopefully she will revisit Lynch once again after The Return.


??????? (Jupiter, Zeus) appears male and Laura (Minerva, Athena) is "born from his head" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerva), but we also have Señorita Dido (Juno, Hera?, should be señora then!), the golden uterus (and the fallopian trumpet!) there to underscore the male-female generative nature.

I know we shouldn't take Lynch this literally but there's too much mythology in that scene to not draw parallels ...
User avatar
Deep Thought
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:05 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Deep Thought » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:44 pm

eponymos wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:giant 2.jpgGiant 1.jpg

The giant as a creator giving birth through a golden uterus vindicates Martha Nochimson’s reading of the giant as a feminine entity based on the covering of his male genitalia while standing above Cooper. Her theories have always held a great deal of weight with me. Hopefully she will revisit Lynch once again after The Return.


??????? (Jupiter, Zeus) appears male and Laura (Minerva, Athena) is "born from his head" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerva), but we also have Señorita Dido (Juno, Hera?, should be señora then!), the golden uterus (and the fallopian trumpet!) there to underscore the male-female generative nature.

I know we shouldn't take Lynch this literally but there's too much mythology in that scene to not draw parallels ...


Lynch is lending himself to more literal interpretations with this new series. This is good stuff eponymus. In episode 8 the giant's hands are conspicuously at his sides.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2063
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby N. Needleman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:14 pm

Don't think the Giant/???? is female. Sorry.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
Deep Thought
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:05 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Deep Thought » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:24 pm

N. Needleman wrote:Don't think the Giant/???? is female. Sorry.


He has feminine creative power. Maybe I was a little unclear, but I did not mean to imply he is female.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
User avatar
Saturn's child
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:38 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Saturn's child » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Deep Thought wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Don't think the Giant/???? is female. Sorry.


He has feminine creative power. Maybe I was a little unclear, but I did not mean to imply he is female.


The Egyptian god Atum was a creator who had a female element (his hand, usually), male & female components being necessary for a self-creator (compare with Neith, a female creator goddess occasionally pictured with an erection).
User avatar
Hockey Mask
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Hockey Mask » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:58 pm

I have yet to see a golden uterus.
User avatar
Saturn's child
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:38 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Saturn's child » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:08 pm

Hockey Mask wrote:I have yet to see a golden uterus.


That would make an excellent t-shirt.
User avatar
Pinky
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:21 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Pinky » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:32 pm

Deep Thought wrote:giant 2.jpgGiant 1.jpg

The giant as a creator giving birth through a golden uterus vindicates Martha Nochimson’s reading of the giant as a feminine entity based on the covering of his male genitalia while standing above Cooper. Her theories have always held a great deal of weight with me. Hopefully she will revisit Lynch once again after The Return.


It's more likely that they wanted the angle but didn't particularly want Struycken's genitalia in the way...

Return to “Parts Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests