Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

experiment

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by experiment »

so what is going on in the reflection of the windshield here. from the scene where the couple is accosted by the woodsmen. looks like a suit cuffed hand on the right to me.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 6.59.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 6.59.49 PM.png (155.17 KiB) Viewed 8393 times
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

I just see two mics
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Not to belittle your or anyone else's opinion. But a viewer approaching a David Lynch work and trying to make rational sense of it is fighting a losing battle. He has been very open throughout his career about the fact that he's most concerned with creating work that makes "sense" on an intuitive level. Not that the TP mythology doesn't hold together in its own way, but that's never been particularly the point. For your own quality of life, it's probably best not to approach a work by the guy who directed Eraserhead looking for "sense." That's like going to a Michael Bay movie and being disappointed at the lack of interesting characterizations.
Hajulellah!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

experiment wrote:so what is going on in the reflection of the windshield here. from the scene where the couple is accosted by the woodsmen. looks like a suit cuffed hand on the right to me.
The hand on the right is the right hand of the passenger. If you rest your hand on your right thigh, with the pinky side down and the thumb side up, this is how it will reflect in the window when seen from the angle of the camera.
Pinky wrote:I just see two mics
I also think it looks like two mics on the driver side.
Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nikki Grace »

gladhand wrote:Regarding the mythology stuff, I think the problem here is all the cg effects.

If you think about the mythology in fwwm eg:
- laura in the painting
- the convenience store & it's inhabitants
- Judy behind the mask
- the jumping man
- the red room

It's all clearly real; people / animals, costumes, masks, sets, bowls of creamed corn. The biggest effect used was just playing things in reverse. But everything was physically real.

CGI just destroys the illusion, it's a shame DL has bought into it on this one. The best "mythology" scenes have prob been the ones with the least CGI, e.g the glass box, and the vomiting.
The digital effects in E8 are absolutely stunning, some of the best I have seen on television full stop. I disagree completely - Lynch has embraced a modern world to continue the story. Some of the things accomplished here make the original show look timid in comparison.
Azurite404

Post by Azurite404 »

experiment wrote:so what is going on in the reflection of the windshield here. from the scene where the couple is accosted by the woodsmen. looks like a suit cuffed hand on the right to me.
Seeing those microphones there certainly brings into question the whole jet windows / diner customer switchout stuff into question... Maybe they are just goofs. Maybe a cigar is just a cigar sometimes.
NewShoes

Post by NewShoes »

Ragnell wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:Re: The Giant... yes, it seems that the big device clanging in the White Lodge (?) signals an out-of-the-ordinary danger, prompting the Giant to consult the theatre screen. So unnerving when he breaks the fourth wall and stares at us, the viewers, reminding us that all this is mankind's fault. This is the evil we're capable of.
Isn't the Giant just looking out the window?
experiment

Post by experiment »

Jasper wrote:
Pinky wrote:I just see two mics
I also think it looks like two mics on the driver side.
probably right about it just being the lady's hand. whoops. funny-looking mics to me, but hey i was wrong about the hand.
TPDpz

Post by TPDpz »

I do not believe 1945 was the creation of Bob. Mike & Bob used to go out and kill together untill Mike saw the face of God and cut his arm. They are older spirits. It was probably just creating a new gateway between worlds.

I'm making a mark on that being going through the mouth being of positive impact, either protection or getting to be safe untill a correct time. I cannot remember what is happening directly, but I recall having emotions regarding the solution of it and being sad about it. It is of great importance. It is happening again. Twin Peaks is happening again.

“Through the darkness of future past, the magician longs to see, one chance out between two worlds, fire walk with me!”

ps. The soundscape this season is dangerous though and alters brain waves to get certain reactions. Lynch knows this and how to manipulate audience with it.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I'm not patient enough to read this entire thread at the moment, so I apologize if this idea has been broached.

What if all things gold represent manufacture?

The Shovels
Dougie
The "Philip Jeffries" tape recorder

....Laura.

What if all things are manufactured for a purpose, all refined by fire, and all destroyed upon completion?

I don't know.... just thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Gateways... Most agree that the bomb was a creation of some gateway between the worlds. And during that creation, "Experiment" (mother?) was present. Experiment/Mother seems to feed on this mega-pain and suffering.

So what about that Glass Box? Experiment/Mother visits there to.

So, Manhattan.

Hmmm. Let's talk about Manhattan.

In a way, a bomb was set off in 1626 when the Dutch "bought" Manhattan from the natives. Much, much pain and suffering followed from this deceptively peaceful start. This was a slow bomb of sorts, but one that took many casualties none-the-less. This keeps the theme of Indian Heritage alive. (I saw someone above lament that the theme has been lost after this episode. I don't think so.)

Was there a locus of pain for the South American natives in Buenos Aires? I honestly don't know my history, but I'm wondering.

Alternatively, Manhattan was also the site of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Although, that doesn't seem to fit with the mythology you all talk about. So that's doubtful.

And finally, the bomb was a result of "The Manhattan Project."

Now if only I had those damn coordinates that Evil Coop and I want, maybe I could make more sense of this!
Last edited by wxray on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

I just want to end tonight by saying that on rewatch of the ?????/Dido scenes, I'm simply emotionally blown away. What a piece of film-making. On first watch, too much happened before for me to appreciate the scene, and the music. On second watch, just wow. Oh, and BTW, I thought the golden egg was coming out of a form of meiosis. But some theorize reproductive organs. That's OK too.

The mothfrog effects were incredible. I don't know what was CGI and what wasn't. Doesn't matter, they were incredible. Best of Lynch since the Eraserhead baby.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

I haven't been able to keep up with the thread, but has has anyone discussed the correlations with the Book of Revelation? I feel like this is more a story about destruction than creation - the breaking of the seals, the first seal being a white horse, the sounds of the horses neighing as the Woodsman walks off into the darkness made me think of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, and then there is the fire raining down from the heavens.

The little girl - we don't know her name, but we know she's "not Mary," (the name of the other girl she thought the little boy was seeing) and then we see the frog (frogs came out of the mouths of the dragon, the beast, and the false prophet in the Book of Revelation) crawl into her mouth. Is this the beginning of the Anti-Christ?

Any connection to the "antimatter" date hint from Dougie's house address?

- Don't want to over analyze the episode because it was such a beautiful piece of film, but those similarities have really been on my mind.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I don't really know what I'm saying or how to articulate it because well, time, space, what is time, what is space, what is future, what is past... But doesn't the creation of preordained Laura now make BOB the victim, target? He didn't seek her out, she has been in a way set up to trap him. People like Teresa, Leland and others are semi pawns.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

So what is the connection between the Woodsmen in this episode and the Woodsman in FWWM? If they are the same or similar thing, why is the one in FWWM not charred? Is he a "good" Woodsman and the other ones are "bad" ones because they are charred? What gives them the ability to walk around and directly interact with people unlike most of the lodge inhabitants? Maybe they're like Mrs. Tremond & grandson in that respect.