Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by CuriousWoman »

sneakydave wrote: According to the actor who played the woodsman in the jail cell in episode 1, the Lincoln-alike Woodsman did film in that scene with bad Coop. He obviously wasn't dressed like he was in part 8 though so up for debate whether he was playing that same character or not.
I have not seen that, was it in the facebook post that we saw everywhere? I only remember him mentionning 2 others actors but not Robert Broski, I will have to refind it
Nines

Post by Nines »

Hi everyone, noob here. Must say I've equally enjoyed reading the posts on here as I have watching the amazing new season.

Was wondering if anyone has mentioned that "Gotta Light?" is the 8th episode, and seems to be very pivotal in the story so far. This kind of links into series 1 & 2, where it's become a cliché that the show kind of stumbled at this exact point (according to myth anyway).

I get a feeling this would be a very Lynch thing to do.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

i am somewhat disappointed this didn't make 100 pages prior to episode 9 :(
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

madeleineferguson wrote:Just noticed that Ruth Davenport (Mary Stofle) and Señorita Dido (Joy Nash) look pretty similar. I wouldn't have thought much of it except that their counterparts also look similar: William Hastings (Matthew Lillard) and the Giant (Carel Struycken). If Señor Droolcup was an old, human version of the Giant, William Hastings could pass for a middle aged, human version of the Giant. Might be nothing, but thought it worth mentioning.

Anyone else think that Señorita Dido is meant to look ambiguously pregnant?
I think she's meant to look prosperous and well-fed. These two spirits are at least obviously White Lodge aligned, and there was a big theory back in the day about how the Giant was so tall and strong because he fed on love and there was a lot of that to feed on in Twin Peaks. I think the White Lodge spirits do feed on the opposite of what the BL spirits do, and that the height and strength of ???????/the Giant and the weight of Senorita Dido are meant to show that they are healthy, prosperous and well-fed.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Somehow I doubt Senorita Dido or ???????? have the same sort of aesthetic values concerning the body as contemporary Americans or Westerners.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

August 5th, 1956 - the date BOB or Laura hatched in the New Mexico desert.

Also on August 5th, 1956 - Maureen McCormick (Marcia Brady) is born.

I know this won't connect back to Twin Peaks but... Maureen McCormick was at the red carpet premiere of the first two episodes. Hopefully this is just an odd coincidence.
h2nho
Roadhouse Member

Post by h2nho »

Unfortunately, I have to watch Part 9 on those dreaded telephones because I'm at a hotel tonight.

I just walked into my hotel room and swore that my family was watching Twin Peaks from the droning sounds coming from the TV. Turns out it was just the radiator. I'm obviously going crazy... :lol:
fearless leader

Post by fearless leader »

Skip Bittman wrote:Oh god, the atomic bomb audio is orgasmic. Those visuals! This is fucking incredible. I hope the scoffers are choking on their donuts.
Agreed!
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Back to the Monday routine: trying not to check the Part 9 thread, but obsessively trying to work out how good the episode is by monitoring how quickly the thread is growing, and which other threads are being updated with further discussion!

I actually queued up the episode on my laptop earlier, with the aim of watching the first minute as a taster, but I decided this would simply ruin the experience of watching it fresh on the big screen after work.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Damn, this is the only part other than 9 that I haven't rewatched. I was so moved by it the first time that I'm still savouring it in my head, but might dive in a second time tonight.

One thing that only just occurred to me, and my apologies if this has previously been mentioned, but hot damn, seeing Laura's face in the golden egg seems like an extension of/reference to Lynch's frequent proclamations in interviews that Laura Palmer was the "goose that laid the golden eggs" for the original series.

I'm so excited for part 10 as the title suggests that she'll return.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Does the axe nailed to the board that Leland puts up at dinner have to do with the woodsmen?
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

garethw wrote:I find it very interesting that Bad Coop was shot in the stomach. It recalls what happened to him in Room 315.
also where Windom stabbed him in ep 29
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

nick1218 wrote:
garethw wrote:I find it very interesting that Bad Coop was shot in the stomach. It recalls what happened to him in Room 315.
also where Windom stabbed him in ep 29
Been thinking of the injuries as applies to the Chakras for a while now. The stomach injury that Doppelcoop, Real Coop have from gunshots and the stomach injury BOB healed on Leland in FWWM would correspond with the sacral chakra -- pleasure.

Windom Earle stabbed both Dale and Caroline upward from just under the ribcage, Dale describes it very specifically when the first dead chessman is found. I think that corresponds with the solar plexus -- willpower. That fits how he attacked Coop in general, tearing at his resolve.

Major Briggs was decapitated, so was Ruth. Cut at the throat chakra -- communication. Both have their remains at the center of a mystery. Ruth was also shot like Phyllis, in the eye. (Corresponding to Gerard's glass eye?)

The recurring head injury, which was what killed Leland, and was an injury suffered by both Ben Horne and Doppelcoop in ep 29 was the third eye chakra (I can't be the first to notice that) and which corresponds to jntuition. The perception of the spirit realm. I think this is where Laura and Maddie suffered killing blows as well.

Or was Laura hit on top of the head? The crown chakra, which is the center of spirituality and enlightenment. When the Woodsman killed at the radio station, he held his victims by the top of the head. Did he send energy in through their crown chakras until they ruptured?
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Ragnell wrote:
Or was Laura hit on top of the head? The crown chakra, which is the center of spirituality and enlightenment. When the Woodsman killed at the radio station, he held his victims by the top of the head. Did he send energy in through their crown chakras until they ruptured?
Teresa was the one who got bludgeoned. Laura was stabbed.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

sylvia_north wrote:
Ragnell wrote:
Teresa was the one who got bludgeoned. Laura was stabbed.
Ah. And Maddie was the only one struck in the face. Variety.