Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Hockey Mask »

yaxomoxay wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:
Zachary wrote: Is that the one that's on the "The Air is On Fire" album? For 99 cents, the iTunes Store could make your dream a reality.

I actually bought the album last night :lol:

Image what is the track titled please so I can go and buy it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Track is "VII. Interior"

Amazing thing, get the whole album.

Where is that played? And where is Slow 30s Room played?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ironically, despite being completely unconventional in almost every other sense, Part 8 felt more like a "traditional" self-contained standalone episode than any other hour of this 18-hour movie so far.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Hockey Mask wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:

Image what is the track titled please so I can go and buy it?

Track is "VII. Interior"

The "slow 30s room" is actually VII Interior from The Air is on Fire. All of it, including background noise!

Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Track is "VII. Interior"

The "slow 30s room" is actually VII Interior from The Air is on Fire. All of it, including background noise!
Thanks for clearing that up.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Did anyone find some of the scenes last night slightly reminiscent of The Ring? I am thinking of the video that causes people to die if they see it.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I read an interview with Robert Engels where he claimed that one origin being tossed around for BOB and MIKE was that they somehow came into being during an episode of I Love Lucy, the one where Lucy gives birth to Ricky Jr.

When the time jumped from 1945 to the 50's, I really thought for a second that Lynch+Frost were going to do that...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It was a brilliant programming move to leave two weeks after this Part. Showtime knew exactly what it was doing: let the conversation revolve around this one for an extra week. Let word of mouth spread and give people extra time to binge watch and catch up before the next one. I have a feeling a lot of new viewers are going to jump on board.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I heard creamed corn may be visible somewhere in this episode but I didn't see it. Anyone have a timestamp?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:It was a brilliant programming move to leave two weeks after this Part. Showtime knew exactly what it was doing: let the conversation revolve around this one for an extra week. Let word of mouth spread and give people extra time to binge watch and catch up before the next one. I have a feeling a lot of new viewers are going to jump on board.
I have the feeling that episode 9 and 10 will bridge everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G42.2
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42.2 »

vicksvapor77 wrote:I heard creamed corn may be visible somewhere in this episode but I didn't see it. Anyone have a timestamp?
There seem to be cans of it in outline visible in the window of the convenience store all throughout that scene yes...
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Ok, this was an amazing episode. I love classic soapy Twin Peaks, but it would not work without the supernatural and the strange lurking right around the corner. This time the weirdness abounded and it was perfectly fine. Lynch once again shows that he is one of the preeminent artists of our time.

I read through about 20 pages of comments before giving up to make this post so hopefully I will not be too repetitive or ask already answered questions.

So we know now that Bob was sent to Earth when a portal to another dimension/world was opened by the first atomic blast in 1945. Bob most likely took his name by first inhabiting a man named Robertson, and then switched to Leland Palmer as his host, probably sometime in the late 1940's. Leland looked 50-ish in the original show so if he was born in the late 30's, or around 1940, then that would match up. It also suggests that he could be the boy who kisses the girl in the young sweethearts scene.

It makes sense that the girl would be Sarah (not yet Palmer), meeting a young Leland Palmer. The year is 1956, so quite a few years after Bob was sent to Earth, but of course the Giant and his companion, watching the Nuclear test on screen, are not bounded by the regular passage of time. Looking up what happened in 1956, it was the year when the first air-delivered hydrogen bomb was detonated. A number of new-design bombs in fact. Laura's orb, created by the Giant to counteract Bob, might have made its way to Earth when a rift between worlds was pried open again. Laura's soul or essence was planted within Sarah at that time. It may also have contributed to her future clairvoyant abilities.

As some posters have already noted before, the White Lodge/Black Lodge terminology may be way too simplistic. There may be more realms and more factions in play, all with their own agendas ranging from benevolent to sinister. One thing that has struck me. Has any of the Lodge spirits ever spoken about their worlds as being called White/Black Lodges? Or is it only humans who have called them that? Little Man from Another Place called the Red Curtain realm a 'waiting room', but never said anything about a Lodge.

One more thing that left me puzzled and I didn't see mentioned anywhere. We know from Phillip Jeffries narrative that Lodge spirit meetings (I will continue to call them that despite the above) took place 'above a convenience store'. We get to see a place in episode 8, conveniently called a 'convenience store', but there does not seem to be an upper floor in that building. Of course it could have been built later on top of the old building, but I wonder if we are supposed to be wondering about that. Or perhaps the upper floor is invisible in a conventional way?
Last edited by Nighthawk on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Most of Lynch work is open for subjectiv interpretaion - it is what YOU FEEL it is.
With this episode however, with imagery so abstract and surreal, I feel this is Lynch/Frost trying to tell/explain us something very concrete/spesific.
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:It was a brilliant programming move to leave two weeks after this Part. Showtime knew exactly what it was doing: let the conversation revolve around this one for an extra week. Let word of mouth spread and give people extra time to binge watch and catch up before the next one. I have a feeling a lot of new viewers are going to jump on board.
Yeah, I was actually thinking about that today. Having a break after episode 7 wouldn´t have been as exciting in terms of having week-long discussions about it. Of course, there were a lot of things to speculate about like what Cooper did with Annie or Audrey and how the show will develop its storylines in general but episode 8 is an entirely different beast. We get so much explanation in regards to the core mythology of the show and now we can have a lot fun with reconcoling these new information with the already exisiting ones.
It´s especially interesting because I´m rewatching the whole show and I have just finished episode 3. It´s so weird seeing Cooper alone with Laura in the morgue knowing how intimately these two are connected now and how important Laura really is the for the whole show. She´s not only a plot device like in the show, a fully human being like in FWWM, no she´s also an agent of the white lodge, participating in a cosmic battle of good and evil.
tlk

Post by tlk »

Also at one time there is a large golden ball close up amid the abstract scenes - looked like an enlarged version of the golden marble that Dougie Jones ended up as.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

chalfont wrote:Most of Lynch work is open for subjectiv interpretaion - it is what YOU FEEL it is.
With this episode however, with imagery so abstract and surreal, I feel this is Lynch/Frost trying to tell/explain us something very concrete/spesific.
That's what I got too. This was an origin story episode and it was done in such a strange and wonderful way. Can you imagine how clumsy this would be from different creators? They'd have scientists interrupting the imagery to analyze it and verbalize what we just saw. The whole thing would be a twelve minute interlude or something. But we got THIS. And maybe later we'll get dialogue to cement in the important points but I just feel so happy they did this. A whole episode that's showing the story in such a weird, beautiful way.