Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Skip Bittman »

Thatfabulousalien wrote:
Skip Bittman wrote:Oh god, the atomic bomb audio is orgasmic. Those visuals! This is fucking incredible. I hope the scoffers are choking on their donuts.

Of course. Loved his use of Penderecki in Inland Empire as well. Wasn't there some in another Lynch film? Wild at Heart?

I still haven't been able to get to sleep after that. Boy, Peter Deming wasn't kidding with that instagram post.
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

dronerstone wrote:
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob wrote:
-Will DoppleCoop now become Good Coop since Bob has left him? Is that even possible? For that to happen, Good Coop will have to leave Dougie's body….
He is not in Dougie's body, only in Dougie's place, but the body is the "real" GoodCoop's.
Dougie's body was evaporated in the lodge and left behind nothing but a shiny golden ball/orb, which the One Armed Man then collected.

The "real" Dougie Jones is no more. He vanished, and Dale Cooper came into "this" world through an electrical outlet, he didn't just "enter his body" or anything.

And no, EvilCoop (the Doppelgänger) will probably not "become" GoodCoop, because he is the zig to his zag. The two are SEPERATE from another.
Even without BOB, he's still the Doppelgänger of GoodCoop. No more, no less.
Yeah I agree - DoppelCoop seems just as malevolent without Bob's influence... there was the scene where he was glad Bob was still there - which says to me his presence wasn't even necessary to Coop's continuous shenanigans
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

zeppo1 wrote:The bug is not Laura

The bug was hatched from an egg vomited out by Mother/Expeierment years earlier that landed in the desert.

Looks like she spewed up lots of eggs, along w/Bob

Are you assuming this because the egg was not gold?
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Skip Bittman wrote:
Thatfabulousalien wrote:
Skip Bittman wrote:Oh god, the atomic bomb audio is orgasmic. Those visuals! This is fucking incredible. I hope the scoffers are choking on their donuts.

Of course. Loved his use of Penderecki in Inland Empire as well. Wasn't there some in another Lynch film? Wild at Heart?

I still haven't been able to get to sleep after that. Boy, Peter Deming wasn't kidding with that instagram post.
Inland Empire used several Penderecki pieces and a Boguslaw Scaeffer concerto, I think the other movie that uses Penderecki may have been Lost Highway but also, in the past Lynch hasn't really used other people's music (outside of people he directly worked with), so this is fascinating! :D
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Didn't get to watch this till this morning, about 5 hours ago (or 4, when I finished watching).

Whilst I loved it I can see this as the episode that really divides people between those that love Lynch and those that decide this really isn't the Twin Peaks for them. In a bizarre way the focus on duality seems to echo in a teetering back and forth between Lynch craziness and Frost soap opera, but I figure it's probably the Lynch fans that are happiest with that teetering, and this could be the episode that ensures that, hell, we won't be getting a fourth season after this one after a lot of people throw their hands into the air and declare they're giving up.

Even the Nine Inch Nails bit. I love Nine Inch Nails, but when they got the first band introduction of the season, and a whole set, it did feel like the show has become in a lot of ways a show-case for musicians that David Lynch really likes. Before I had a chance to see the show I caught a tweet that stated that their understanding of Lynch as experimental was finally realised with this episode. I figured that a TV show interrupting the drama with a musical interlude by a band I'd known and loved a long time certainly underlined this episode as experimental, almost feeling like one of those more light hearted shows like The Monkees, where the story gets a silly musical number thrown into the mix, but in a much darker and disturbing manner. Little did I realise how experimental it would get.

With all the stuff about Jeffries and musical crossover I half-seriously wonder if any of the late David Bowie's final songs/videos have anything to add to current speculation.

Loved the winded frog creature.

Also I really love now is that all the speculation we had last week and hoped would, in part, be answered this week, we've got another couple of weeks to speculate on, plus all the weirdness with this episode. If nothing else I think we can rule out the mysterious blackened lumberjack figures aren't the Log Lady's husband - I'm especially glad now that the one we saw last week didn't walk into the room with the decapitated body, knowing now what they're capable of!
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

writersblock wrote:
Yeah I agree - DoppelCoop seems just as malevolent without Bob's influence... there was the scene where he was glad Bob was still there - which says to me his presence wasn't even necessary to Coop's continuous shenanigans
Yeah, but does he just SEEM that way, or IS he dangerous to the same degree as with BOB still in possesion of him?

I pointed that out a few pages ago and asked what the popular opinion was... Does the lack of BOB make him MORE VUNERABLE maybe? To "normal" humans and also GoodCoop???

I thnk if GoodCoop regains his senses, he and his Doppelgänger (without BOB) would be on the SAME level and therefore could stand up to each other easily.

PS: Ray seemed to be in cahoots with "Phillip" - jeffries, I suppose?
NEL

Post by NEL »

thefifthlizard wrote:
bastia wrote:Is ?????/giant the magician?
You mean "the magician longs to see"
I also think ??????? ils the magician from the poem, but I don't know if ??????? and the Giant are the same person
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

djsunyc wrote:Image

See what I mean, he puts everything under our noses and we don't even learn to notice these things, despite how much people speculate. It's right there! :shock:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Drammatubero

Post by Drammatubero »

Rare picture of Laura Palmer at age one.
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

Another thought on mothfrog- It came in through the girls window, as BOB does in FWWM
I'm back in style!
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Would Lynch be willing to put in this crazy amount of work again for a season 4?

I only want a season 4 if Lynch is 100% on board again. But if he would be 100% motivated and inspired, and seeing what he still can do at his age, it would be fantastisc to have a season 4. The Return nearly doubles his total output. But as Lynch is getting older, if we want to see much more of him, there's no better / more logical way than a season 4.

But I am afraid that Showtime is not going to be fooled for a second time.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Pinky wrote:I don't think we're ending this with a happy ever after real world Coop back to stay in Twin Peaks, or a 'permanently' back to life Laura. Or a fourth season. It doesn't feel like that's where they're going with this. The stakes have been raised and they'll only be back to try and confront this evil, then it's off to the White Lodge with them.
Predicting the ending at this point is a fool's errand :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

Rhodes wrote:Would Lynch be willing to put in this crazy amount of work again for a season 4?

I only want a season 4 if Lynch is 100% on board again. But if he would be 100% motivated and inspired, and seeing what he still can do at his age, it would be fantastisc to have a season 4. The Return nearly doubles his total output. But as Lynch is getting older, if we want to see much more of him, there's no better / more logical way than a season 4.

But I am afraid that Showtime is not going to be fooled for a second time.
Who's to say they WERE fooled. This is brilliant, subversive television, the kind of ground breaking stuff Showtime has seemed to yearn for and miss time and time again. The reviews are in and they are pretty much stellar. Even those that hate it can't stop talking about it. I don't think they had any illusions how weird it could get when they gave David Lynch complete creative control.
I'm back in style!
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

for a couple of seconds, the landing Woodsman silhouette was uncannily Bowie-esque but even then I didn't really believe it:)
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

dronerstone wrote:
writersblock wrote:
Yeah, but does he just SEEM that way, or IS he dangerous to the same degree as with BOB still in possesion of him?

I pointed that out a few pages ago and asked what the popular opinion was... Does the lack of BOB make him MORE VUNERABLE maybe? To "normal" humans and also GoodCoop???

I thnk if GoodCoop regains his senses, he and his Doppelgänger (without BOB) would be on the SAME level and therefore could stand up to each other easily.

PS: Ray seemed to be in cahoots with "Phillip" - jeffries, I suppose?
I would be very surprised if BadCoop was suddenly more vulnerable at this stage of the new series. Not to say he's the primary antagonist - there's clearly a lot more going on - but I was sure a reckoning between the two Cooper's would happen closer to the end. I suppose time would tell. If yesterday taught me anything, it's that we probably shouldn't try to guess where this is going :D