Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Saturn's child »

Capeditiea wrote:... there is a story in this reality of a couple in the same year of 1956, that happened to be driving down a highway and ended up seeing an alien... (could be related.)
Hi Capeditiea, & welcome to the board!

I was just wondering what incident you were referring to here? There were quite a wave of humanoid/alien sightings in the mid 50s, particularly in France & the US (guessing you know this though). :)
Capeditiea

Post by Capeditiea »

Saturn's child wrote:
Capeditiea wrote:... there is a story in this reality of a couple in the same year of 1956, that happened to be driving down a highway and ended up seeing an alien... (could be related.)
Hi Capeditiea, & welcome to the board!

I was just wondering what incident you were referring to here? There were quite a wave of humanoid/alien sightings in the mid 50s, particularly in France & the US (guessing you know this though). :)

yes... i would have to look it up on the exact one. (or hypnotise my self into remembering...) i will do this later...

:3 i am aware, there are many.

---edited to add.
Sigh... i tried searching but i cannot seem to find the site i found it on...

the site had a bunch of un-classified documents and objects. (not only of the extra-terestial kind, also of some really interesting objects, that was not known in the public before... (perhaps someone here knows the site...) another interesting thing about that site, is there was an experiment similar to the experiment in it's description. and a record player that only plays backwards. (i lost it after switching OSes in 2015.)

Or the site was from an alternate timeline... if no one knows about that site in particular, then i will be left with two options, i am crazy or i am in a different timeline.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Capeditiea wrote:Or the site was from an alternate timeline...
You just got Mandela Effected, haha. :wink: Sounds like an interesting site though!

Going back to Part 8 (& TP/Lynch in general), the woodsmen/alien thing you brought up makes me think of 'Woodcutters from Fiery Ships' (http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/game.html), a game Lynch was working on in the late 90s. According to John Neff, Lynch was "fairly far down the road writing the game", so a couple of elements could've made it through to the Return.

From the above site: "And then suddenly the woodcutters arrive and they take the man who we think has witnessed these events, and their ship is... uh, silver, like a 30`s kind of ship"
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Saturn's child wrote:
You just got Mandela Effected, haha. :wink: Sounds like an interesting site though!

Going back to Part 8 (& TP/Lynch in general), the woodsmen/alien thing you brought up makes me think of 'Woodcutters from Fiery Ships' (http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/game.html), a game Lynch was working on in the late 90s. According to John Neff, Lynch was "fairly far down the road writing the game", so a couple of elements could've made it through to the Return.

From the above site: "And then suddenly the woodcutters arrive and they take the man who we think has witnessed these events, and their ship is... uh, silver, like a 30`s kind of ship"
I’m guessing you know this, but Lynch & Badalamenti recently released their song of the same name, which was recorded in the 1992-93 period shortly after FWWM, and has a “storyline” similar to the description of the game.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I’m guessing you know this, but Lynch & Badalamenti recently released their song of the same name, which was recorded in the 1992-93 period shortly after FWWM, and has a “storyline” similar to the description of the game.
I knew there was a song of the same name, but I haven't got the album yet (or listened to it on the tube)... definitely didn't know the storyline reflected the game though (there are lyrics?) or that it was recorded so soon after FWWM, both of which are very interesting to hear. Going to listen now, thanks for the heads up!
Capeditiea

Post by Capeditiea »

Saturn's child wrote:

sigh... the mandela effect happens to me a lot... especially the Volvo insignia. (which is a hole [sic] different kind of strange synchro with Lynch and my self... i may embark on this story of my life working for Kirby at some random point.)

the game seems fascinating. :O *nods, perhaps someone could recode it for android or linux. :3 because i would play it.

i need to check out the song as well.

---edited to add the "[sic]"
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Given how surreal this episode is, I'm not sure I'll even attempt to ask any questions about the bulk of it, but regarding the first scene, which mostly seems rooted in reality, why does Coop type the license plate of the truck in front of them into his phone and toss it out the window? How does that disable the tracking devices on the car (if it does)?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

From what I recall, he disabled three tracking devices in the car, then input the truck's license plate. To me the scene was very deep and full of heavy suspicion, because it implies the car's systems were actually being used to track as opposed to a planted or secondary device. I only say that because, well, how else would he switch the target from the car to the truck, unless he were simply redirecting a pointer? And if that were the case, doesn't that indicate that the technology is already there in the truck, and every other vehicle on the road? There are serious implications in the scene. It's as though the FBI, and by extension the federal government, is privately seeing at a whole other level than the public could ever conceive of.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Gotta hand it to you, Jonah, you practically single-handedly set this message board ablaze in the past few days! :D
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The logic of the Doppelganger typing the truck’s license plate number into the tracking app is so nonsensical, in that classic L/F way. There’s no way that could work that way. Sometimes it feels like these two together construct stories the way a six-year-old would. I mean that as a great compliment, BTW.

It’s interesting to me when Ray says, “I saw something in Cooper. It may be the key to what this is all about.” Is Bob more central/important to TR than it seems?

Conversely: Frost in TFD portrays Judy/Jowday/Joudy and Bob/Ba’al as contemporaries/counterparts, but here it seems like Bob is just one of many many offspring Judy spawns. Why does she care so much about bringing him back to the Lodge? Does she have the same investment in all her offspring?

I can’t make out any detail on the newspaper at the radio station around 50:23. Can anyone with 4K capabilities read any of it? I’m particularly curious if it mentions the Mack Ray Edwards murders Frost referenced in TSHoTP, which seem to be the rationale for the very specific 8/05/1956 date here.

It’s funny to me that the Woodsman’s poem was a purely Lynchian composition. It feels so much like Mark to me, for some reason.

Is this the Part with the least original series cast members? We only have Kyle and Carel Struycken, with Sheryl and Frank Silva credited for archive/CGI images.

For the second Part in a row, Cooper doesn’t eat or drink anything, so no “Dale’s Diet” today!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
It’s interesting to me when Ray says, “I saw something in Cooper. It may be the key to what this is all about.” Is Bob more central/important to TR than it seems?

Conversely: Frost in TFD portrays Judy/Jowday/Joudy and Bob/Ba’al as contemporaries/counterparts, but here it seems like Bob is just one of many many offspring Judy spawns. Why does she care so much about bringing him back to the Lodge? Does she have the same investment in all her offspring?

I can’t make out any detail on the newspaper at the radio station around 50:23. Can anyone with 4K capabilities read any of it? I’m particularly curious if it mentions the Mack Ray Edwards murders Frost referenced in TSHoTP, which seem to be the rationale for the very specific 8/05/1956 date here.
Perhaps it has something to do with what you surmised the other day? The central reason Mike and The Arm are working with Cooper is to get Bob back to the lodge, or even defeat him entirely.

Maybe Bob is the only true spirit Judy barfed up...maybe Bob was actually a part of her?

I will check that scene in a few days, thanks for pointing out that newspaper.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:

Perhaps it has something to do with what you surmised the other day? The central reason Mike and The Arm are working with Cooper is to get Bob back to the lodge, or even defeat him entirely.

Maybe Bob is the only true spirit Judy barfed up...maybe Bob was actually a part of her?
That could be. He’s the only “orb” in there, everything else is eggs. I’ve always just taken this as a practical decision, since Lynch obviously wanted to make Bob prominent there. The Fireman does freeze-frame on Bob’s face though, so maybe he actually is more important than the other eggs. Interesting though, even if this is true, he’s still not a true peer/counterpart to Judy as Mark portrays in TFD, since she creates him.

If you’re correct that Bob is a “part” of Judy, that’s a fun inversion of the classic Adam and Eve trope of woman being created from man’s rib. In this case, the female comes first, and she creates the main male utukku (as Frost/Tammy calls them) from a part of herself.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Part 8 is very symbolic, I think we are clearly looking at Jornada del Muerto area here, with all the historical facts and symbolism attached to it. What caught my attention though is that ??????? is not using any electricity. His phonograph and projector do not run on it, and his lamps are probably powered by some other source.

As for Moonlight Sonata, and the original American Woman remix that we heard in part 1, they are obviously using fewer rotations per minute on a record player (most of us probably did that trick a few times when record player were in vogue), again tying into the phonograph symbolism, but it is mostly an indication that these actions, taking place at that very moment, are driven by forces coming from lower frequencies or sublunary spheres (which part 8 especially seems to hint at here by the choice of music and scenery in the Mr. C scene). In this regard one can consider the overall slower pace of S3 an indication of the augmented activity of these negative forces across the Twin Peaks universe. Furthermore, we can somewhat see this effect during two interrogation scenes involving Mr. C where his speech is somewhat slowed down.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

boske wrote:Part 8 is very symbolic, I think we are clearly looking at Jornada del Muerto area here, with all the historical facts and symbolism attached to it. What caught my attention though is that ??????? is not using any electricity. His phonograph and projector do not run on it, and his lamps are probably powered by some other source.

As for Moonlight Sonata, and the original American Woman remix that we heard in part 1, they are obviously using fewer rotations per minute on a record player (most of us probably did that trick a few times when record player were in vogue), again tying into the phonograph symbolism, but it is mostly an indication that these actions, taking place at that very moment, are driven by forces coming from lower frequencies or sublunary spheres (which part 8 especially seems to hint at here by the choice of music and scenery in the Mr. C scene). In this regard one can consider the overall slower pace of S3 an indication of the augmented activity of these negative forces across the Twin Peaks universe. Furthermore, we can somewhat see this effect during two interrogation scenes involving Mr. C where his speech is somewhat slowed down.
Amazing insight!! Thanks!
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

LateReg wrote:
boske wrote:Part 8 is very symbolic, I think we are clearly looking at Jornada del Muerto area here, with all the historical facts and symbolism attached to it. What caught my attention though is that ??????? is not using any electricity. His phonograph and projector do not run on it, and his lamps are probably powered by some other source.

Amazing insight!! Thanks!
Thank you, glad to be able to contribute! I am not sure if it was mentioned on this board, but some people had made another connection here having to do with "Ray Monroe", which is a word play on "Moon ray(s)".

Regarding the pace, it may also shed a different light on that "who cares how long a scene takes" discussion we are having in another thread, if we approach it from this perspective. Now, you can compare it all to the scene where Andy is raised up to the Fireman's place. Pay attention to the pace of that scene, and how quickly Andy is being fed different pictures, the frequency is much much higher, which I think reenforces this pattern that Lynch and Frost were trying to send across. Edit: Another example is the Jumping Man running down the stairs while emitting some high frequency sounds. That one and the fireman, although both at a much higher frequency that Mr. C's environment, are not of the same range as these two do not coexist on the same plane, and I think Lynch made that clear in part 8 by placing Fireman's lodge at the top of the mountain.