Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

boske
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by boske »

Another place where we see different frequencies at play is in part 17 (I think), when Cooper is parting from Cole and Diane in the Grate Northern basement and stepping through the door. As the door is getting shut you can the time slowing down for Cooper, when observed from the "outside" reference frame. At that point Cooper is therefore moving downward to reach the Dutchman's as it exists at a level below his (and it is thus reached via Great Northern basement). Contrast that with Mr. C having to climb up from the Convenience Store to reach the Dutchman's.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

boske wrote:Another place where we see different frequencies at play is in part 17 (I think), when Cooper is parting from Cole and Diane in the Grate Northern basement and stepping through the door. As the door is getting shut you can the time slowing down for Cooper, when observed from the "outside" reference frame. At that point Cooper is therefore moving downward to reach the Dutchman's as it exists at a level below his (and it is thus reached via Great Northern basement). Contrast that with Mr. C having to climb up from the Convenience Store to reach the Dutchman's.
Great stuff. There's also the slo-mo "We live inside a dream" in Part 17 right at the moment you're talking about.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

I'm not sure if I just missed this when trying to search the board, but BUF posted a bunch of concept art of Experiment, Frogmoth(with an owl face at one point), and Fireman's Palace. https://buf.com/design/twin-peaks/
T1.jpg
T1.jpg (243.16 KiB) Viewed 20343 times
T2.jpg
T2.jpg (357.95 KiB) Viewed 20343 times
T3.jpg
T3.jpg (232.67 KiB) Viewed 20343 times
T4.jpg
T4.jpg (239.11 KiB) Viewed 20343 times
T5.jpg
T5.jpg (270.09 KiB) Viewed 20343 times
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

T6.jpg
T6.jpg (238.55 KiB) Viewed 20344 times
T7.jpg
T7.jpg (258.66 KiB) Viewed 20344 times
T8.jpg
T8.jpg (248.33 KiB) Viewed 20344 times
fr4.jpg
fr4.jpg (240.91 KiB) Viewed 20344 times
fr8.jpg
fr8.jpg (242.75 KiB) Viewed 20344 times
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

There's a lot more than the three posts I'm making, so I highly suggest checking out the page. It's so interesting.
fr9.jpg
fr9.jpg (234.3 KiB) Viewed 20345 times
fi1.jpg
fi1.jpg (191.27 KiB) Viewed 20345 times
fi2.jpg
fi2.jpg (204.87 KiB) Viewed 20345 times
fi3.jpg
fi3.jpg (335.92 KiB) Viewed 20345 times
fi4.jpg
fi4.jpg (330.76 KiB) Viewed 20345 times
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

bowisneski wrote:I'm not sure if I just missed this when trying to search the board, but BUF posted a bunch of concept art of Experiment, Frogmoth(with an owl face at one point), and Fireman's Palace.
Wow! Really wild stuff! It looks like “Experiment” also has a bird head in a bunch of drawings, then possibly morphs into the frogmoth? I wonder if the script called for the owl/bird stuff, or if that was a touch the designer added on his own due to the original show. The concept of a frogmouth with an owl head is a little much even for TP! :lol: And the final concept of the frogmoth onscreen ended up being based almost exactly on a Lynch drawing from the 1970s, so I doubt he ever wanted to go in a different direction.

Thanks for posting this! Great find!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
bowisneski wrote:I'm not sure if I just missed this when trying to search the board, but BUF posted a bunch of concept art of Experiment, Frogmoth(with an owl face at one point), and Fireman's Palace.
Wow! Really wild stuff! It looks like “Experiment” also has a bird head in a bunch of drawings, then possibly morphs into the frogmoth? I wonder if the script called for the owl/bird stuff, or if that was a touch the designer added on his own due to the original show. The concept of a frogmouth with an owl head is a little much even for TP! :lol: And the final concept of the frogmoth onscreen ended up being based almost exactly on a Lynch drawing from the 1970s, so I doubt he ever wanted to go in a different direction.

Yeah, this is really fascinating to see. Thanks!
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Wow! Really wild stuff! It looks like “Experiment” also has a bird head in a bunch of drawings, then possibly morphs into the frogmoth? I wonder if the script called for the owl/bird stuff, or if that was a touch the designer added on his own due to the original show. The concept of a frogmouth with an owl head is a little much even for TP! :lol: And the final concept of the frogmoth onscreen ended up being based almost exactly on a Lynch drawing from the 1970s, so I doubt he ever wanted to go in a different direction.

I was extremely surprised to see faces and hair on them cause I’ve seen Lynch’s similar lithos and figured he just showed BUF a picture. And I wonder if it was based on the idea that the frogmoth is Expirement’s offspring. Stuff like this makes me want to see the script to read the way they were described.

You’re welcome! I’m surprised anything like this exists at all. Do you have a link to/copy of the OG frogmoth drawing? I’d love to see that.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

bowisneski wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Wow! Really wild stuff! It looks like “Experiment” also has a bird head in a bunch of drawings, then possibly morphs into the frogmoth? I wonder if the script called for the owl/bird stuff, or if that was a touch the designer added on his own due to the original show. The concept of a frogmouth with an owl head is a little much even for TP! :lol: And the final concept of the frogmoth onscreen ended up being based almost exactly on a Lynch drawing from the 1970s, so I doubt he ever wanted to go in a different direction.

I was extremely surprised to see faces and hair on them cause I’ve seen Lynch’s similar lithos and figured he just showed BUF a picture. And I wonder if it was based on the idea that the frogmoth is Expirement’s offspring. Stuff like this makes me want to see the script to read the way they were described.

You’re welcome! I’m surprised anything like this exists at all. Do you have a link to/copy of the OG frogmoth drawing? I’d love to see that.
From page 55 of ‘Someone Is in My House’ (Prestel Verlag, 2018):
985BC3FE-4EB6-4800-851F-887BDC08C527.jpeg
985BC3FE-4EB6-4800-851F-887BDC08C527.jpeg (387.28 KiB) Viewed 20298 times
Listed as “late 1960s.”

Also including this for literally no reason except that it was on the previous page of the book and really made me laugh:
Attachments
675B1DCB-B4B2-47B3-BA6F-18D7A6B784F6.jpeg
675B1DCB-B4B2-47B3-BA6F-18D7A6B784F6.jpeg (513.33 KiB) Viewed 20296 times
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Awesome, thanks! I really need to revisit that book.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

I think it's just the hair, but 8 and 9 remind me of Jeffries.
T8.jpg
T8.jpg (248.33 KiB) Viewed 20142 times
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Interesting to see the frogmoth had the owls face in some of the concepts
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

the teeth/smile in the first few concepts of judy remind me of the smile when sarah takes off her face
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Triangle.jpg
Triangle.jpg (48.85 KiB) Viewed 13037 times
Having just rewatched part 8, I noticed a detail that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere, it is a black upward triangle. For a moment I thought it was a pyramid, but it was just a triangle. If you pay attention to that area while watching the scene you cannot miss it. I am not sure what to make of it just yet.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Sand.jpg
Sand.jpg (212.63 KiB) Viewed 13031 times
And the desert sand pattern formed by the wind resembles the lodge floor.