Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Voided
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voided »

I just wanted to point out that the giant bell in this episode reminded me of the close up shot of the bell in Philadelphia, which appears in Fire Walk With Me. Probably irrelevant, but I did always wonder why the camera paused on that shot for so long. Probably just an establishing shot to introduce the new location.
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Voided wrote:I just wanted to point out that the giant bell in this episode reminded me of the close up shot of the bell in Philadelphia, which appears in Fire Walk With Me. Probably irrelevant, but I did always wonder why the camera paused on that shot for so long. Probably just an establishing shot to introduce the new location.
It also appears in part 3. The blind woman pulls a switch on it and falls in to space.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Voided wrote:I just wanted to point out that the giant bell in this episode reminded me of the close up shot of the bell in Philadelphia, which appears in Fire Walk With Me. Probably irrelevant, but I did always wonder why the camera paused on that shot for so long. Probably just an establishing shot to introduce the new location.
The new show used the Eakins Oval statue of Washington similarly, to establish Philly (and also had a shot of the statue on the wall in Tammy's office). I think they're both probably icons/associations that DKL has from his time in the city. But the bell models in the Lodge/spirit world certainly might have stemmed from the Liberty Bell, consciously or unconsciously.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I haven't seen anyone theorize that Doppelganger knew what Ray was up to and let it happen for some purpose. He almost seemed clairvoyant in being two steps ahead of everyone, and suddenly someone gets the drop on him rather unceremoniously. Also he's ready to shoot Ray even though he wants information from him, which doesn't exactly make sense (granted, neither did that whole tracker on the car app thing earlier). Maybe he knew he'd get help if he was shot?

One thing about the NIN scene... that was the only scene in the episode that took place in Twin Peaks. I'm not sure I'm thrilled by the prospect of their being more non credit music sequences at the Roadhouse, but I doubt there will be any more episodes where the only scene taking place in Twin Peaks will be a Roadhouse musical interlude.
misterroundheels

Post by misterroundheels »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Surprised no one has yet posited that the frog-bug is a form of the Jumping Man. The beak seems pretty deliberate, and those legs sure look made for jumping.
I thought I was the only one who noticed that it had a beak. Everyone mentions its frog and bug attributes, but it has a face like a bird!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

misterroundheels wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Surprised no one has yet posited that the frog-bug is a form of the Jumping Man. The beak seems pretty deliberate, and those legs sure look made for jumping.
I thought I was the only one who noticed that it had a beak. Everyone mentions its frog and bug attributes, but it has a face like a bird!
The beak seems VERY Jumping Man to me.

Btw, in the "References to Lynch's Works" thread, Soundchaser made a great find in the Air Is on FIre book of DKL's art: a notebook page (possibly dating from the Grandmother era) depicting a very similar creature! viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3570&start=60#p91687
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

So the warden tried to track the car despite the threats?

Seems to me *a lot* of people seem to think they can get one over Mr. C.
Hurley

Post by Hurley »

I had the same thought. The Tremond/Chalfont boy also jumps, and is also at the convenience store meeting.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Hurley wrote:
I had the same thought. The Tremond/Chalfont boy also jumps, and is also at the convenience store meeting.
It's probably been mentioned before, but the Chalfont boy is probably "in-training" for whatever it is the Jumping Man's role is, or he's another in his "line." Really wondering about the bug frog now, I totally didn't catch the face similarity!

All these things everybody's catching days after is so cool.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
Hurley wrote:
It's probably been mentioned before, but the Chalfont boy is probably "in-training" for whatever it is the Jumping Man's role is, or he's another in his "line." Really wondering about the bug frog now, I totally didn't catch the face similarity!

All these things everybody's catching days after is so cool.
Now that the Convenience Store has found its way into the Return, follow-up on its depiction in FWWM has become really desirable. We've had woodsmen, we've had Bob of course, and now there's the possibility that the Jumping Man is back, albeit as a beaked flying frog thing. Most of the woodsmen we got seemed similar to Prochnow and Brisbin's, with long full beards, an obvious exception being the Lincoln impersonator -- Lincoln-bearded by definition. Is he perhaps unique among them, perhaps a chief of sorts? And are there yet any possible candidates for the Electrician in the new series? Is he present on a purely auditory level, as the intense crackling noises we're hearing? In any case I would really love to see the Tremonds and the Electrician represented in some form. It's like a very strange family reunion.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

AgentEcho wrote:I haven't seen anyone theorize that Doppelganger knew what Ray was up to and let it happen for some purpose. He almost seemed clairvoyant in being two steps ahead of everyone, and suddenly someone gets the drop on him rather unceremoniously. Also he's ready to shoot Ray even though he wants information from him, which doesn't exactly make sense (granted, neither did that whole tracker on the car app thing earlier). Maybe he knew he'd get help if he was shot?

One thing about the NIN scene... that was the only scene in the episode that took place in Twin Peaks. I'm not sure I'm thrilled by the prospect of their being more non credit music sequences at the Roadhouse, but I doubt there will be any more episodes where the only scene taking place in Twin Peaks will be a Roadhouse musical interlude.
I can see DoppelCoop planning his death. Maybe he wanted to be rid of Bob. Is he preparing for the showdown with Good Coop? The woodsmen resurrection scene was super creepy. The music and the way the woodsmen moved and we're transparent. They reminded me of the Little People from the novel 1Q84 by Murakami. For all you readers out there.

Also. I would have no problem if we didn't even see Twin Peaks again, if the rest of the episodes are as amazing as ep8 Gotta Light?
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Interview with the lead Woodsman:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hollywoo ... re-1018088
Wow, what a swell guy he is!

And no, I don't see DoppelCoop "planning out" his own death, I rather think he was a bit surprised by his gun not working and Ray actually really shooting him, but was revived by "The Hobos" after BOB LEAVING his body, therefore WEAKENED. This way he's a Doppelgänger, but only to the extent of a "normal human being" just as Coop will be when he exits Dougie-state.

This is gonna be interesting. :)
Voided
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voided »

I noticed the girl's radio dial starts at 55, then 70, then 90 etc. Made me think of years 1956 and so on. The dial appears to be set just after 90....91 or 92...around Twin Peaks era.
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.
floyd2024

Post by floyd2024 »

I've seen a lot of people theorizing that the frogbug is either Bob or Laura and that the teens could be Leland and/or Sarah Palmer. I could be wrong but I really don't think it is connected in this way. We see the experiment woman vomit up the Black Orb with Bob's face in addition to many eggs. I think the creature comes out of one of these random eggs as it's clearly not the Black or Gold orb that we see Bob and Laura in. In my opinion it is a completely different evil parasite unconnected to Twin Peaks which is meant to show that the Nuclear Blast opened up access to these evil parasites all over the world, and Bob was just one of them. In addition, we know that Leland first encountered Bob at Pearl Lakes near Twin Peaks so that theory would probably not add up.