Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kafa81
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by kafa81 »

WOW WOW WOW WOW x 10000000!!!!

This was totally outside of the box!! I had no idea what to expect, but this wasn't anywhere remotely near what I thought was going to happen .... amazing!!

Was that new Badalamenti music during the Giant's scene in the theater? Even if it wasn't the music was absolutely amazing!!!

Now one of you must die....well one Cooper did die...now what? I mean he seems to be back among the living...but he looked pretty dead to me :?:
Maybe DoppelCooper now becomes normal Dale Cooper... :?:
NewShoes

Post by NewShoes »

A quick dump of thoughts:

1. I find using NIN to just be fan-service, but I can tolerate it. But having their name said onscreen didn't work for me.

2. I was definitely caught off guard when Ray took out BadCoop.

3. It cracked me up to see the Roadhouse music scene so early, I knew we weren't coming back to modern times after that. Then we got BadCoop again for a sec, but the cut afterward reinforced my expectation even further.

4. When BOB's face appeared next to BadCoop's body - what was it in? Seemed almost like a womb.

5. The bug isn't Laura. I don't buy that theory.

6. I think the credits only have two Woodsmen (Got a light? and the 'stunt' woodsmen), but it seemed like there were other actors too: when BadCoop was shot, at the convenience store, and when the couple was stopped on the highway.

7. I'm fine with this. Bring on more of it. I'm tired of all the pining for Audrey. I'd rather not have Audrey at all if it is going to be some nostalgic fan-service crap. More of this please.

8. The Convenience Store was filmed in WA at Olallie. The mechanic in the garage was filmed in North Bend, WA. Photos of the Convenience Store actually leaked but the difference is that it seems the sign itself never leaked.
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

rocketsan22 wrote:Perhaps the jade-like substsance of the ring is actually the melted sand of ground zero bomb spot. Google
It, the melted sand turned green like jade.
In TSHOTP the ring appeared way before that. It was given to Merywheather Lewis by the Nez-Percé chief. Unless the ring came from the future, in witch case the ring is a bootstrap paradox: an object caught in an infinite loop who was never created by anyone but still exist. The ring was given by the Indian chief to Merywheater Lewis and goes trough time the long way down. Then it end up back in time, given to the Indian chief who give it to Lewis etc etc etc
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Bookworm wrote:
Nighthawk wrote: As some posters have already noted before, the White Lodge/Black Lodge terminology may be way too simplistic. There may be more realms and more factions in play, all with their own agendas ranging from benevolent to sinister. One thing that has struck me. Has any of the Lodge spirits ever spoken about their worlds as being called White/Black Lodges? Or is it only humans who have called them that? Little Man from Another Place called the Red Curtain realm a 'waiting room', but never said anything about a Lodge.
DoppelCoop said to Darya that he was supposed to go back to "what they call the Black Lodge" in episode 3
It's not clear what he means by "they"... seems to imply that that is what humans call it.
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

Well, that was certainly something. Seemed to be a regular episode. Yeah, right. It certainly was a voyage, a trip. Aesthetically wonderful. I still need to process what I saw though. A LOT.
Valaquen
Roadhouse Member

Post by Valaquen »

Hester Prynne wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:Did anyone else get Night of the Living Dead vibes from the black and white scenes from the New Mexico town? That is one of my all time favorite movies with that haunting and powerful political/social commentary on humanity at the end.
I was more thinking of films like the Amazing Colossal Man, which actually had a nuclear explosion.

Also, the Giant Gila Monster feeling came in there.
There's more to why I felt this way than the creatures covered in motor oil simply attacking a car like a bunch of zombies. I believe where DKL and Frost might be headed is that humanity is capable of unleashing just as much fear and evil as any lodge spirit (if not more)
Recall Dick Laurent's last words to Fred Madison in Lynch's Lost Highway: "We can really outugly those sumbitches...", which he utters in the presence of the Lodge-like Mystery Man.
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Framed_Angel wrote:I looked for Badalamenti in the music credits. Obvs the main music featured involved established composers/ bands, bu the other song "Slow 30s Room", was credited to "David Lynch and Dean Hurley." I'm not sure which song that was -- but: the music playing as the Giant levitated and the lady looked up, it kept reminding me of some of the music from TP S2 so I was expecting Badalamenti has something to do with it, and kind of disappointed that he hadn't~
I thought it was Badalamenti as well...so it wasn't? that sucks...still hope we get a lot of his music in this thing...anyways the music while the ??????? was levitating was great, going back to listen to it again...then going for a late night run :D
Louisahoo

Post by Louisahoo »

RIP Bob. I liked this episode in many ways. It was pure Lynch, if not pure Twin Peaks. But I am somewhat bummed about one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet. Ive wondered for a while now how they would handle BOB in light of Silva having passed, as he was my favorite part of the original show. I really like how they've done it thus far, but I figured they couldn't keep using old footage forever. Well, last night I think we have seen both the death and birth of BOB, and while there will still be evil to fight and contend with, I think we are done with BOB. He is no longer with evil Cooper and therefore not a necessary plot element to the show anymore. Well I knew this point would probably come and was in evitable, still sad we won't see Frank Silvas scary image or screens anymore. They had to achieve this somehow, and I think they picked a very neat way to do it
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

watergateburglar wrote: The nuclear explosion creates pain and sorrow on a massive scale, and I would say that is cosmic garmonbozia coming from the figure that may be mother, may be what the glass box is meant to capture.

the boy and the girl i dont think are meant to be characters we know, just seems to be an allusion to sex, attraction. it recalls the sam, tracey NYC scene. the insect seems to be a metaphor for a parasite.

though set in new mexico, the woodsmen are very Northwest-esque with the flannel shirts, beards, evokes lumberjacks, logging.

the 'gotta light ?' catch phrase makes me think of how Leland recalled BOB flinging matches at him at pearl lake. the woodsmen being attracted to smoke and fire also reinforces the 'fire walk with me phrase'
These observations are so much more in line with how I've reacted to #8 than anyone else's. I purposely came here just now when I thought of the "Wanna play with fire?" allusion / connection to "Got a light?", wondering if it had been mentioned already.

I initially preferred to think of the young girl in terms of "representative" of a concept/ theme like Innocence rather than a new character outright. However, she did bring into bearing some exposition or background as when she queried her date ("So you live near the school? ... You and Mary are no longer?..) So I don't want to discount the couple's potential as new characters. Odd how they had more descriptive-particular dialogue for the viewer than many other new S3 characters'.

The lumberjacks in NM thing bugs me now! If they're bum-like and homeless that would fit with deforestation rendering one's vocation a "work-oneself-out-of-a-job" malaise. Have any of them been seen with an axe for example? Was the Woodsman in FWWM shown with one? They do seem incongruous w/ the New Mexico setting, unless their haunting of a desolate space is partly meant to forebode the consequences of reckless actions on our environment, with a ripple effect that carries across geological confines~
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Panapaok »

kafa81 wrote:
Framed_Angel wrote:I looked for Badalamenti in the music credits. Obvs the main music featured involved established composers/ bands, bu the other song "Slow 30s Room", was credited to "David Lynch and Dean Hurley." I'm not sure which song that was -- but: the music playing as the Giant levitated and the lady looked up, it kept reminding me of some of the music from TP S2 so I was expecting Badalamenti has something to do with it, and kind of disappointed that he hadn't~
I thought it was Badalamenti as well...so it wasn't? that sucks...still hope we get a lot of his music in this thing...anyways the music while the ??????? was levitating was great, going back to listen to it again...then going for a late night run :D
Guys it was a Badalamenti track. They don't need to credit him at the end credits, he's credited at the opening ones. The 'Slow 30's Room' is what Senorita Dido is listening in the gramophone.
Last edited by Panapaok on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
mhanor

Post by mhanor »

I don't think BOB is dead. We only saw him because of the ritual the woodsmen performed on Bad Coop or because of his injuries. It doesn't mean he's gone.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Brilliant. Mesmerizing. Mouth agape. The music and visuals of the bomb sequence was astonishing.

Definitely lives up to the reputation of the series as groundbreaking, I'm absolutely thrilled.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Panapaok wrote:
kafa81 wrote:
Guys it was a Badalamenti track. They don't need to credit him at the end credits, he's credited at the opening ones. The 'Slow 30's Room' is what Senorita Dido is listening in the gramophone.
Thanks, I hadn't realized! I figured Badalamenti credited at the beginning** was to acknowledge his composing the original tune that's played in opening credits.

** I confess I fast-forward through the opening credits in s3! (streaming through hulu)
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
windh
Roadhouse Member

Post by windh »

Driftwood wrote:We saw the origin of the lodge stuff in our world and you people are crying about filler. unbelievable
Word.
/windh
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

NewShoes wrote:The Convenience Store was filmed in WA at Olallie. Photos of the Convenience Store actually leaked but the difference is that it seems the sign itself never leaked.
Did you actually watch them filming it? Can you share any tidbits from it?
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.