Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Shloogorgh »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Someone please post proof that BOB has left Bad Coop. Tanks.
The woodsmen do a ritual and an orb emerges from Mr C with BOB's grinning face, the woodsmen then all vanish.

Mr C previously had to check that BOB was still with him. Seems like foreshadowing.

Plus the phonecall with "Jeffries" sounding like the Woodsman and wanting to be with Bob again seals it for me.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Also, did anyone notice the timeline in the Laura orb story? In 1945, there is a golden orb with her face in it sent to earth. Roughly 25 years later, Laura Palmer is born. 25 years after we last see Laura in the original series, we see her again in the new series. Coincidence?

There seems to be a consensus that Laura's birth year was 1971 due to the fact that she is established to be 17 at the time of her death but what if Frost's retcon of Laura's age to 18 (through Jacoby's records) was intentional to make this numerology work? Or is it all one big coincidence?
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

vicksvapor77 wrote:He came off very Giant-like in his scene with Cooper, with his speech pattern and cryptic clues. But his attire in the new season is so different and if he's an agent of this other place w4've seen him in, why did we see him in the Red Room in the series finale of the original series?
We also see the angel in the red room in FWWM though, so I think spirits from other places can visit there.

Maybe it was a trick, like some of the other things Cooper sees in the finale. For example, I don't think the Caroline doppelganger is necessarily a resident of the red room, but something conjured by Windom Earle (hence why we see the weird flashing Earle face superimposed over some of the scenes).

In any case we don't know how certain things come to be in the red room, nor should we, so I don't think we should judge the Giant's appearance there. I think it's more telling that he's not in the meeting above the convenience store in FWWM
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Shloogorgh wrote:I think it's more telling that he's not in the meeting above the convenience store in FWWM
Indeed, especially since Carl Struycken said that he was available to be in FWWM, but wasn't contacted.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Someone please post proof that BOB has left Bad Coop. Tanks.
We can't. Because we don't know yet!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Post by Daliz »

What I'm wondering is, why is the Experiment called the Experiment? Or Experiment Model like in Ep1/2. "Experiment" points to something man-made, the cliche of experiment-gone-wrong, a-bomb experiment?
If the Experiment is somehow the ultimate evil/mother of BOB/something like that, then wouldn't she (it?) be an older entity than a (supposedly recent, definitely not ancient) scientific experiment?

I always thought the evil we're dealing with in TP is centuries old.

Maybe the experiment is just an experiment of trying to trap/control/study this source of evil.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

Daliz wrote:What I'm wondering is, why is the Experiment called the Experiment? Or Experiment Model like in Ep1/2. "Experiment" points to something man-made, the cliche of experiment-gone-wrong, a-bomb experiment?
If the Experiment is somehow the ultimate evil/mother of BOB/something like that, then wouldn't she (it?) be an older entity than a (supposedly recent, definitely not ancient) scientific experiment?

I always thought the evil we're dealing with in TP is centuries old.

Maybe the experiment is just an experiment of trying to trap/control/study this source of evil.
I think the black lodge is an ancient evil, but maybe BOB is young comparatively.

Calling that creature "the experiment" does make me think that maybe she is an anthropomorphized nuclear bomb. And she gave birth to BOB, who is "the evil that men do." When BOB later took up residence in the Black Lodge, the rest of the spirits had trouble controlling him.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Hester Prynne wrote:I haven't been able to keep up with the thread, but has has anyone discussed the correlations with the Book of Revelation? I feel like this is more a story about destruction than creation - the breaking of the seals, the first seal being a white horse, the sounds of the horses neighing as the Woodsman walks off into the darkness made me think of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, and then there is the fire raining down from the heavens.

The little girl - we don't know her name, but we know she's "not Mary," (the name of the other girl she thought the little boy was seeing) and then we see the frog (frogs came out of the mouths of the dragon, the beast, and the false prophet in the Book of Revelation) crawl into her mouth. Is this the beginning of the Anti-Christ?

Any connection to the "antimatter" date hint from Dougie's house address?

- Don't want to over analyze the episode because it was such a beautiful piece of film, but those similarities have really been on my mind.
The idea of the anti-christ is interesting. Maybe DoppelCooper wakes up without bob seeming like the old Cooper but turns out to be an anti-christ figure? Or Laura comes back as an anti-christ type? We did see Laura in an orb that was similar to manufactured Dougie's yellow orb he turned into.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Shloogorgh wrote:
The woodsmen do a ritual and an orb emerges from Mr C with BOB's grinning face, the woodsmen then all vanish.

Mr C previously had to check that BOB was still with him. Seems like foreshadowing.

Plus the phonecall with "Jeffries" sounding like the Woodsman and wanting to be with Bob again seals it for me.
This is a good reading for the notion that BOB is gone. However, it's all just inference.

We are never shown BOB actually leaving Coop. Emerging from him is not the same thing as leaving.

He very well may have sunk back down into Coop after healing him.

We should be very careful in assuming he's left Bad Coop, who he created. Maybe; maybe not.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Shloogorgh wrote:
I think the black lodge is an ancient evil, but maybe BOB is young comparatively.

Calling that creature "the experiment" does make me think that maybe she is an anthropomorphized nuclear bomb. And she gave birth to BOB, who is "the evil that men do." When BOB later took up residence in the Black Lodge, the rest of the spirits had trouble controlling him.
Another strong post. Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. Well, not the BOB is comparatively young part, but that the experiment is an anthropomorphized bomb explosion -- who spews out BOB.

And I love the idea that the Black Lodge is home of many evil spirits perhaps created in other destructive ways (less so than an A bomb) from across human history.

But BOB is the worst of them all being created by the Experiment.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
watergateburglar

Post by watergateburglar »

Shloogorgh's posts are very strong.

The "I'll be with Bob" line on the phone from 'Jeffries' and the "You're still with me" line do foreshadow evil Cooper may be left without Bob.

The alarm ringing in the netherworld may be a signal that Bob is loose. The Giant looks at us in the audience, in a breaking-fourth-wall way as if he is becoming aware of the prior
incident with the shooting. The atomic bomb may also be an abstraction of sorts that Bob is loose in the world.

If Bob is out, Mr C would just be the pure shadow self of Cooper and be stripped of his supernatural abilities, and he may begin an oddessy to get back
to Twin Peaks to get even with woodsmen in the lodge ?

I also wonder, if in the style of "Necessity is the Mother of all invention" .. because David Bowie became too ill, Jeffries had to be written out, and perhaps a cabal of Bob-worshipping Woodsmen,
entered the picture. Perhaps they disposed of Jeffries.
misterroundheels

Post by misterroundheels »

watergateburglar wrote: The alarm ringing in the netherworld may be a signal that Bob is loose.

I actually thought the alarm sounded like someone saying "BOB... BOB... BOB... BOB... BOB..."
Deuce88

Post by Deuce88 »

So Mark Frost posted this in January. We've seen the red square before (notably on the computer screen in Las Vegas before the hit is ordered with Ike the Spike), and with this photo being taken in Red Square...

...is this how Jeffries will be represented? God I'm still holding out hope that, seeing as Catherine and Warren filmed one scene each, the same could be said for Bowie!
Attachments
IMG_0241.PNG
IMG_0241.PNG (302.26 KiB) Viewed 9262 times
watergateburglar

Post by watergateburglar »

[quote="...is this how Jeffries will be represented? God I'm still holding out hope that, seeing as Catherine and Warren filmed one scene each, the same could be said for Bowie![/quote]

god i wonder... they started to write it in 2012, and DL contacted cast in 2014/2015. there must have been conversations with Bowie that went on.

I think Catherine shot her stuff before principal photography in sept '15.

my fear though is Bowie thought he had another year left in him, and didnt expect to go so soon, and stuff they planned had to be scrapped.
AuralAmpler

PREDICTIONS - POST GOTTA LIGHT

Post by AuralAmpler »

Using a sketchy, loose interpretation of the three act structure, this is how i see the show panning
out. PREDICTIONS....

ACT I - Introduce the goal of the protagonist + challenges; inciting incident

Agent Cooper escapes the Black Lodge with the help of the lodge spirits; he returns
to Earth on a trajectory of self (re) discovery and an eventual return to Twin Peaks. Cooper does not
manage to "wake up" easily and goes through challenges to getting where he needs to be.
Meanwhile, the citizens of Twin Peaks go on their lives and we see glimpses of where they are,
but they don't do much to move the story forward as it's not their journey.

ACT II - Enter the world/first battle

Agent Cooper awakens to himself and realizes he must go to Twin Peaks.
Evil Coop beats him to it though, unbeknownst to Good Dale , Gordon Cole, or anyone
of any use. The first big murder/act of horror/terror occurs in Twin Peaks after
Evil Coop gets there - "it is happening again". This "activates" the function of Good Dale to come to his senses
and he takes the first step to get to TP at the end of Act II. He is now set on a collision
course with Evil Coop; but he will already have suffered a tragic blow.

ACT III - Confrontation/Climax

Old friends die; we lose key figures from the Twin Peaks we know.
Evil Coop and Good Dale clash , metaphorically or literally. Instead of
good winning over evil, or vice versa , they instead integrate and become "one";
much like The Arm was once a piece of the One Armed Man.

Speculations/Details:

Like the new Renault twin at the Bang Bang Bar, a "third" Laura Palmer doppelganger
will be created. It is understood that each lodge has the ability to create their own doppelgangers & re-wire
them into our plane of existence.

Aspects of Dougie Jone's life never existed; for example his wife and son may be hallucinations;
or, more probably, his son is a Lodge spirit.

Laura Palmer's new incarnation will get murdered a third time, but not before she is given a chance
to reconnect with the Good Dale.