Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Mistertom »

Skip Bittman wrote:
Mistertom wrote: I beg to differ , we as the fans literally gave them a job and a salary to create something we could enjoy and they're really playing with us here .
I don't recall literally giving them a job and a salary. Frost/Lynch worked for years on the script without a dime and expanded it when they got the Showtime deal. Literally.

Boy, some of these possessive elements of fan culture are more frustrating than a lengthy sweeping sequence.
Im sorry but if it were not for our obsessive fandom they wouldn't have been given the chance to make this and in return make some money themselves. So yes our dollars we pay to showtime directly impact them and their bank accounts. We literally did give them a job and lined their pockets with our money. I'm paying each month for showtime to experience this because I'm a huge fan, and again if it were not for the fans keeping this show alive for so long then they'd be searching for other means to make money off of other projects.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Subversive and surprising. Loved it.

Can we talk about the "water and the well" poem? I found it and the guy both unspeakably horrifying. Why did it make people pass out/die? It seemed to be egging the frog-bug on, or buying time, or guiding it into the girl's mouth (also horrifying).
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

ThumbsUp wrote:Subversive and surprising. Loved it.

Can we talk about the "water and the well" poem? I found it and the guy both unspeakably horrifying. Why did it make people pass out/die? It seemed to be egging the frog-bug on, or buying time, or guiding it into the girl's mouth (also horrifying).
i'm leaning towards the frog being bob. the woodsmen was making folks pass out so that the frog can find a host.

significance of the little girl? she represented a pure life - wholesome and innocent. the evil that men do - aka building the nuke - destroyed all innocents and purity. the frog going into her mouth represented what man did to it's own species.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

Skip Bittman wrote:
Mistertom wrote: I beg to differ , we as the fans literally gave them a job and a salary to create something we could enjoy and they're really playing with us here .
I don't recall literally giving them a job and a salary. Frost/Lynch worked for years on the script without a dime and expanded it when they got the Showtime deal. Literally.

Boy, some of these possessive elements of fan culture are more frustrating than a lengthy sweeping sequence.
Also your immediate defensive reaction to my opinion is just as frustrating as a lengthy sweeping sequence to use your words. Reminds me why I rarely express any opinions on here . Definitely seems like if it's not a 100% praise worthy thing to say then you better just keep your mouth shut otherwise the fans will pounce.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:Also, just curious, who was that who introduced NIN?
idk but he was a near dead ringer for Jimmy Scott. SPOOKY
I thought that was deffo intentional

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

Mistertom wrote:
Skip Bittman wrote:

Also your immediate defensive reaction to my opinion is just as frustrating as a lengthy sweeping sequence to use your words. Reminds me why I rarely express any opinions on here . Definitely seems like if it's not a 100% praise worthy thing to say then you better just keep your mouth shut otherwise the fans will pounce.
art is subjective. some folks like it, some don't.

the only thing i can say is that this show, much like the original, is challenging everything we've become accustomed to in regards to tv viewing. we either binge or we have a standard storytelling structure that almost every single show uses. i totally understand why some folks don't dig this - and when it comes to opinions, everyone is right. i personally think last night's episode was the greatest hour of tv i've ever watched. i don't think there will be another hour of tv ever like that again - unless lynch does this again.
Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nikki Grace »

The scenes in '56 are Lynch at his best. Offsetting the iconic beauty of young Sarah (?) on her bed dreaming away to the music and the malevolence of '???' and the birth of evil is almost his career in a nutshell. I am in total awe of what I saw.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Skip Bittman wrote:

We asked Frost and Lynch to take us to a place both wonderful and strange. We asked nothing more than that.

And they have complied with our wish.
Last edited by mtwentz on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Wow!

I couldn't sleep much with the hype last night, then watched the episode tonight.

Wow!

I guess I got exposed to more spoilers than I realised. Haven't we known for ages that there would be a nuclear explosion? Nothing prepared me for what that looked like though.

I always have one though in these sorts of episode. What did the script look like??????!!!!!!!
Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nikki Grace »

Mistertom wrote:Im shocked we haven't gotten a glimpse of Ed yet 8 ! Eight episodes in and nothing from him , a single scene of James , a couple of Bobby scenes , Nadine just smiling at a screen .. I would have never guessed jerry would have gotten more screen time by this point in the series than those original cast members .. we are one episode away from the halfway point of the series and I won't lie I am starting to get a little frustrated ... and then you throw an episode like this in the mix ... yikes , I trust frost and lynch to hopefully bring it all together and at the same time I think there's an equal chance that they don't .. and that would be really tragic and a big letdown. Also please don't reply with "this is their story that they're telling their way they don't owe you anything or any explanations" . I beg to differ , we as the fans literally gave them a job and a salary to create something we could enjoy and they're really playing with us here . I watched this episode 3 times last night and was up to way too late with a cold and I'm high on cold/ flu medicine so maybe I'm just in a funk but honeslty this episode was lovely to look at but a pain in the ass to watch. Long extended takes with actors in a scene is one thing , but to have such a long extended cut of explosions and swirls of color was just ... too much. That could have been cleaned up and cut down a bit , Atleast in my opinion.

Anyways sorry I just totally rambled on and on and it probably made about as much sense as this episode so I guess it's fitting I didn't know where to stop , kind of like lynch clearly not having one single person on set to tell him no or to stop himself .. lol
I will never agree with this perspective, but I respect those who feel that way. I don't think artists owe their fans anything. Lynch and Frost WILL alienate many with the show - either last night with E8 or they did it right back in the beginning - and that's sad, but ultimately necessary. Twin Peaks will move on.
Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nikki Grace »

I'm glad to read the show was trending on Twitter last night. Some famous directors tweeting about it too including Rian Johnson, who's directing the new Star Wars (and must have a big fanbase!).
Wrz

Post by Wrz »

After rewatching the scene where Doppelganger Cooper is resurrected I noticed he had the same vacant look on his face that post-Lodge amnesia Cooper had. I suppose it could also be bewilderment, but I am leaning towards him now being in the same mental state as Amnesia Cooper.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

just another random thought - what if laura wasn't created to combat it but was really a trap to lure bob away from causing more damage?
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

djsunyc wrote:i'm leaning towards the frog being bob. the woodsmen was making folks pass out so that the frog can find a host.
I'm quite positive the frog is Bob : when we see "Mother" spitting Bob, he's among eggs that look exactly like the one the frog is getting out from.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Skip Bittman wrote:
I don't recall literally giving them a job and a salary. Frost/Lynch worked for years on the script without a dime and expanded it when they got the Showtime deal. Literally. .
Moreover,it would be impossible for any creator to create something with a 100% approval rate. At least Lynch was able to create something that is enjoyed by LOTS of fans. You think that your ideal show would be enjoyed by more fans?