Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

h2nho
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by h2nho »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
Shloogorgh wrote:Has anyone mentioned that the voice ("Philip Jeffries") that Mr C calls in e2 is distorted similarly to The Woodsman's? And the voice wants to "be with Bob." And now the woodsmen have extracted Bob from Mr C.
I hadn't found the forum by episode 2, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the voice on the other end of the phone was credited to the actor of the other Philip, Philip Gerard. Who, of course, has history with MIKE.

Couldn't tell you where I read that though. Can anyone else confirm/disprove this?
The voice was uncredited if you go back and watch the credits for Part 2.
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

I still believe they are going to need an army to stop Evil Cooper. He has the woodsmen, enhanced powers and the parts of the Black Lodge on his side. Dougie Cooper can not stop this even with what we saw in episode seven. When all of this goes down I want to see Hawk, Albert and a few others at Dale's side. How Cole is going to react to hearing Dale escaped is going to be wild.

I also would like to know who he was speaking to on the phone in episode one as it seemed to be a person who knew exactly what Evil Cooper is. I thought it was Cole, but now that is not the case. Is there a person out there who is aware of everything and we have not meet yet. Could it be Harry? He was a bunkhouse boy and knew about all the strange things in Twin Peaks. They haven't told him anything about Laura's diary and if they had would he know something. I am not sure.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

boske wrote:
Saela wrote:What would be the point of that moment if BOB would still be with the doppelganger after that? Just to show us something we already know, which is that BOB is inside of him?
We did see a staircase at the right edge of the convenience store, didn't we?
My theory is that Philip Jeffries? Or whoever it is wants Bob with him. He knew that Doppelganger would go to the black Lodge after 25 years and he can be with Bob. To ensure everything goes according to plan, he hired Ray, as a backup if Doppelganger tried anything else.

PS- I think it was James all along. Think about it. Women always took advantage of him so he left Twin peaks. I think during his time in Mexico he may have been exposed to the Black Lodge entities. He felt powerful. He now wants Bob's power in him so that, so he can teach all the ladies a lesson, especially that Milf from season 2.So I think he hired Ray and Darya to kill Doppelganger.
I THINK I'M HIGH
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

lotjx2 wrote:I still believe they are going to need an army to stop Evil Cooper. He has the woodsmen, enhanced powers and the parts of the Black Lodge on his side. Dougie Cooper can not stop this even with what we saw in episode seven. When all of this goes down I want to see Hawk, Albert and a few others at Dale's side. How Cole is going to react to hearing Dale escaped is going to be wild.

I also would like to know who he was speaking to on the phone in episode one as it seemed to be a person who knew exactly what Evil Cooper is. I thought it was Cole, but now that is not the case. Is there a person out there who is aware of everything and we have not meet yet. Could it be Harry? He was a bunkhouse boy and knew about all the strange things in Twin Peaks. They haven't told him anything about Laura's diary and if they had would he know something. I am not sure.
They have Laura
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

mujubuju wrote:
Soolsma wrote:What really beats me is that convenience store not having an upstairs floor.
This confused me as well. However in going back to watch it, in 1956 timeline, if the boy and girl are in fact walking by the same convenience store, you can see there was an addition built above it. I think the implication there is that the woodsmen built the level above the convenience store subsequent to their arrival in 1945.
Good catch. I was wondering about the missing upper floor as well. Previously mentioned ideas talked about it being incorporeal, but that seemed far-fetched. It makes more sense that it was added after 1945.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Cheater_07 wrote: Anyway, one thing I wanted to add...because I haven't seen it mentioned on any of these 58 pages...is this:
http://www.itemeditions.com/catalogue/l ... ge213.html

A woodcut by Lynch from 2014, and definitely one of my favorites. He has now brought it (and many other images in this new series) to life on the tv screen.
Ahh nice. Apparently Lynch has been gathering imagery for new Twin Peaks for quite a while.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

The only thing that disappointed me about the episode was the literal sign saying "Convenience Store." Come on! This has to be a poke at us! Lynch/Frost cloak everything in mystery and never really let on literally. Spelling it out ruins the fun. We could have 20 pages just on the C.S. (We'll have at least a few here.)

In 1945, the Convenience Store concept was nascent. More likely there would have been a sign saying: "Cold Drinks * Candy * Sundries". Or, in Texas: "Tot'em" (the 7-Eleven name in '45). But, whatever...

For our discussion, here are some screen grabs. The first shows the '45 store, complete with staircase on the right. The second is of the '56 store. Hard to reconcile they are the same. For starters, the '56 store front entry is raised. If there was a remodeling, it was a hell of a job.
conv1.JPG
conv1.JPG (73.21 KiB) Viewed 9035 times
conv2.JPG
conv2.JPG (48.34 KiB) Viewed 9035 times
Last edited by wxray on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Maybe the boy or the girl have something to do with Phillip Jeffries, he did speak with a southern accent. Now that may not be like how they speak in New Mexico or US South-West, but I'd be curious if it somehow plays into picture. We'll see.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Even if the Convenience Store has no obvious upper level (I think they easily could have found a building that had an upper level if that's what they wanted), there is a TARDIS like distortion of space time established in some of these realms, as we saw when Cooper was in the Purple room. He was seemingly in another level of the same palace where the Giant and Senorita reside overlooking the purple ocean, but they climb a ladder and all of the sudden they are seemingly in space, or some kind of space like realm. So it wouldn't exactly be out of the question for there to be a stairway inside that leads to an upper level that you can't see from the outside.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

AgentEcho wrote:Even if the Convenience Store has no obvious upper level (I think they easily could have found a building that had an upper level if that's what they wanted), there is a TARDIS like distortion of space time established in some of these realms, as we saw when Cooper was in the Purple room. He was seemingly in another level of the same palace where the Giant and Senorita reside overlooking the purple ocean, but they climb a ladder and all of the sudden they are seemingly in space, or some kind of space like realm. So it wouldn't exactly be out of the question for there to be a stairway inside that leads to an upper level that you can't see from the outside.
Well it is funny you mention TARDIS.

One of the really nice details of the '45 store is that prominent phone booth right up front. Look to the right, just to the left of the stairs. Lynch would never let an opportunity for an old style phone to go by without actually having one!
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

wxray wrote: In 1945, the Convenience Store concept was nascent. More likely there would have been a sign saying: "Cold Drinks * Candy * Sundries". Or, in Texas: "Tot'em" (the 7-Eleven name in '45. But, whatever...
I don't think we can assume this Convenience Store is situated in 1945. Some of the interpretations that all of this started with the atomic bomb seem a little too literal for me... I'd rather interpret that the atomic bomb opened a gateway into a timeless realm where both good and evil (and Part 8 took us through that gateway). If that's the case, any concept that existed at any point of time could fit into this realm, including a convenience store.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I thought a few folks were pretty sure the distorted "Jeffries" voice in ep 2 (wasn't it supposed to not be Jeffries after all?) was Scott Coffey. At the time I was becoming convinced it was Chris Isaak.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rodigy

Post by Rodigy »

Daliz wrote:
Shloogorgh wrote:
Daliz wrote:What I'm wondering is, why is the Experiment called the Experiment? Or Experiment Model like in Ep1/2. "Experiment" points to something man-made, the cliche of experiment-gone-wrong, a-bomb experiment?
If the Experiment is somehow the ultimate evil/mother of BOB/something like that, then wouldn't she (it?) be an older entity than a (supposedly recent, definitely not ancient) scientific experiment?

I always thought the evil we're dealing with in TP is centuries old.

Maybe the experiment is just an experiment of trying to trap/control/study this source of evil.
I think the black lodge is an ancient evil, but maybe BOB is young comparatively.

Calling that creature "the experiment" does make me think that maybe she is an anthropomorphized nuclear bomb. And she gave birth to BOB, who is "the evil that men do." When BOB later took up residence in the Black Lodge, the rest of the spirits had trouble controlling him.
Yes this could be one explanation.

About the BOB and Laura orbs: I think the purpose of those characters faces being in those orbs is just simply so we would understand that this orbs contains the soul/spirit/essence of Laura or BOB. A visual clue for viewers. If the orbs would be just colored orbs it would be a lot more difficult to understand. It might be that at this stage BOB doesn't look like anything really, but he needs to be represented somehow.

This
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

The Bob-Orb coming out of Evil Coop is easy to miss. I literally looked away on first viewing and missed it. Saw it discussed here and went back. Here's a shot for those who may have also missed it.
boborb.JPG
boborb.JPG (41.55 KiB) Viewed 8986 times
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

AgentEcho wrote:Even if the Convenience Store has no obvious upper level (I think they easily could have found a building that had an upper level if that's what they wanted), there is a TARDIS like distortion of space time established in some of these realms, as we saw when Cooper was in the Purple room. He was seemingly in another level of the same palace where the Giant and Senorita reside overlooking the purple ocean, but they climb a ladder and all of the sudden they are seemingly in space, or some kind of space like realm. So it wouldn't exactly be out of the question for there to be a stairway inside that leads to an upper level that you can't see from the outside.
The thing is, I am sure that the show creators wanted us to notice the "convenience store" sign as well as the fact that it has no upper floor. This is too significant to be an accident. I am on board with the idea that the stairs may be a portal to another realm like the Sycamore ring near Twin Peaks.