eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by eyeboogers »

wAtChLaR wrote:"Going My Way?"
"Gotta light?"
twilight zone

IMG_20170731_195048_496.jpg
Do you know anything about the plot of this episode?
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

eyeboogers wrote:
wAtChLaR wrote:"Going My Way?"
"Gotta light?"
twilight zone

IMG_20170731_195048_496.jpg
Do you know anything about the plot of this episode?
yes it's one of my favorite twilight zone episodes...

http://twilightzone.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hitch-Hiker
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

“You are very far away.”

I'm soaking in the fire scene, after mother spews her essence on the world; we see the arrival of a golden sentinel, or perhaps a scout, which sends a message very far away back to the ever waiting and cryptic Dido. It felt to me (and upon first viewing I had this same feeling, but without understanding anything) that the red stars were taking us very far away, and this is what I think now. The white lodge is very far away from earth, while the black lodge seems very close to the convenience store and humanity, adjacent really. Cooper was never in the white lodge, but was Facetiming the Giant from his seat in the waiting room or black lodge. Not sure which one, since they are next door to each other.

Anyway, not important, but it’s what I’m thinking about the “very far away” line of the Giant this late night.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Northman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Northman »

Not sure if anyone else already commented on this but:

Mother/the experiment ejects eggs/plasma from a phallic appenditure, and as a response Mr Phallic himself, the giant, floats up to the ceiling and emits a golden glow in the shape of a uterus out of which comes the laura-globe.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Anyone else think Ray looks oddly like an equal mixture of Bill Pullman in Lost Highway and Balthazar Getty in Lost Highway? Maybe especially Pullman, but honestly I see both.

I've always liked Ray and this resemblance is fitting given the LH-esque night driving scenes that open Part 8. Also gotta love Ray's horrified, wordless reaction to the woodsmen doing whatever it is they do to DoppelCoop (healing him, I guess). God, that whole scene is absolutely one of the eeriest and strangest things Lynch has ever shot - in its own way, it's even more unsettling and uncanny than the jolly misadventures of the poetry-reciting, skull-crushing woodsman.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

David Locke wrote:I've always liked Ray and this resemblance is fitting given the LH-esque night driving scenes that open Part 8. Also gotta love Ray's horrified, wordless reaction to the woodsmen doing whatever it is they do to DoppelCoop (healing him, I guess). God, that whole scene is absolutely one of the eeriest and strangest things Lynch has ever shot - in its own way, it's even more unsettling and uncanny than the jolly misadventures of the poetry-reciting, skull-crushing woodsman.
Totlly agree. The "Moonlight Sonata" scene might be my favorite scene of the whole Return to date. Exactly the sort of skin-crawling dreamy Lynchian horror I was hoping for from the show. Hope we get a bit more of that.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
David Locke wrote:I've always liked Ray and this resemblance is fitting given the LH-esque night driving scenes that open Part 8. Also gotta love Ray's horrified, wordless reaction to the woodsmen doing whatever it is they do to DoppelCoop (healing him, I guess). God, that whole scene is absolutely one of the eeriest and strangest things Lynch has ever shot - in its own way, it's even more unsettling and uncanny than the jolly misadventures of the poetry-reciting, skull-crushing woodsman.
Totlly agree. The "Moonlight Sonata" scene might be my favorite scene of the whole Return to date. Exactly the sort of skin-crawling dreamy Lynchian horror I was hoping for from the show. Hope we get a bit more of that.
It's definitely up there for me as well. And for some reason I also was immediately reminded of the 90s B&W avant-garde horror-art film Begotten when I saw that scene - a likeness other bloggers have pointed out. Something about the inexplicable and almost mythical, primeval dance of these devilish creatures very much called to mind the kind of Biblical scripture-on-LSD quality of Begotten. (Which seems to be at least somewhat of a descendent of Eraserhead, even as it moves into far more disturbing territories).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

must have been mentionned before... but this is fucked up.

(here if link doesnt work https://youtu.be/a40fFg14w8s )

https://youtu.be/a40fFg14w8s[/youtube]
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

MEMe Alert!!!

Where homage is duly recognized in comparisons with the Trinity scene and "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite"

Those may recall the synchronicty effect with playing Pink Floyd's "Echoes", (from the album Meddle,1971) along with the Stargate scene in "2001".
uploadfromtaptalk1502728462885.jpeg
uploadfromtaptalk1502728462885.jpeg (10.67 KiB) Viewed 22146 times
Well i have conducted a similar
experiment and am glad to report that you can accompany this same audio of "Echoes" along with the entire Trinity sequence! , (with wonderful results.)

Synch as follows:
(Mute video )

Cue the White Sands bomb blast to the countdown...

When it reaches "0" , start audio playback for Echoes...

The song runs about 23:30 and shows phenomenal synchronicty throughout!

Recommend to see for your self. Image

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Hi, I just rewatched this episode and had some new observations. Apologies if they were already brought up.

In the beginning of the scene within the mushroom cloud, it looks like we see millions of golden orbs, and then immediately it looks (and sounds) like swarms of millions and millions of frog bugs?

Also, I wonder if the Woodsmen kill people by crushing their heads because Laura was born from the Giant's head, and they feel some innate need to neutralize any potential threats that can spawn forces of good?
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

ThumbsUp wrote:Hi, I just rewatched this episode and had some new observations. Apologies if they were already brought up.

In the beginning of the scene within the mushroom cloud, it looks like we see millions of golden orbs, and then immediately it looks (and sounds) like swarms of millions and millions of frog bugs?

Also, I wonder if the Woodsmen kill people by crushing their heads because Laura was born from the Giant's head, and they feel some innate need to neutralize any potential threats that can spawn forces of good?
So, we're not just a world of truck drivers. We're either golden orbs or frog bugs! :lol:
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

BigEd wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:Hi, I just rewatched this episode and had some new observations. Apologies if they were already brought up.

So, we're not just a world of truck drivers. We're either golden orbs or frog bugs! :lol:
Or both! Someone in the Theories & Speculation thread mentioned that a gold orb and bug frog egg appear once Dougie is being deconstructed. Kind of symbolises the running theme of duality.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

ThumbsUp wrote:
BigEd wrote:

Or both! Someone in the Theories & Speculation thread mentioned that a gold orb and bug frog egg appear once Dougie is being deconstructed. Kind of symbolises the running theme of duality.
I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. Although, since Dougie was manufactured, it looks like they used much less gold and much more bug.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

BigEd wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
BigEd wrote:
I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. Although, since Dougie was manufactured, it looks like they used much less gold and much more bug.
All that was left was the gold, the rest of it burned away.

That's why I don't think re-integration is necessarily the end goal with Coop vs Doppelcoop. The Doppelganger is Cooper, his memories, his intellect, his methods and desires without any conscience or empathy, but that doesn't mean he's anything Cooper NEEDS. I don't think the memories and intellect are solely in the Doppelganger, I think Cooper had them in the first two eps. ("Do you recognize me?" Laura asked, and he knew.) The Doppelganger is the spiritual waste. The frogbug. I believe the original challenge was to overcome and discard that spiritual waste, that cruelty, those desires, that destructive impulse and ascend. So I think the Doppelganger will just be destroyed or discarded into the Black Lodge at the end.
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

I'm in the middle of a leisurely rewatch right now. I've seen every episode (except Part 16) twice, but it's time to get the third viewing in, all together, binged - leading up to the finale.

And I'm on Part 8 now.

Holy shit, you guys. This was shown on television. Holy shit.