Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by silvo »

Maybe it could be when the moon is front of the sun, in a sun's eclipse
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Meaxylon wrote:
silvo wrote:In the map of the cave owl! The huge thing is the mother? If it's the mother then is the evil in the one side and the good ( the giant and the arm) to the other?

Also, i found every planet in the image, expect the one near this huge thing

Left is Uranus, up of it is Neptune, next to the fire is Mars and Jupiter and under Mars is Saturn. Near the Sun is Mercury and Venus. What about the others?

Maybe inside the fire is the symbol of comet? As the symbol of an atomic bomb? And maybe the other one near Jupiter is Pluto. I have found 2 symbols for Pluto! One is a match

The symbol inside the fire must be the owl ring symbol - turned upside down - no?

And also - in TSHoTP, the map is described by someone who says there's both a moon and a sun in the map. I guess the sun is on the right side. But the moon? Is it on the left side - the circles with a large dot inside, with the giant/s? I'm drawing this conclusion because it has the same size as the sun as if to show that it is of the same importance, and also, it is on opposite side to counterpart the sun? If this is the case it isn't a moon symbol that I'm familiar with, if it's intended to be a moon. Maybe symbolizing a full moon rather than a crescent?
I've never really studied the map, is the thing on the left the twelve trees/Glastonbury Grove, which leads to the Red Room?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
silvo
Roadhouse Member

Post by silvo »

I have read that it is and the thing near it is the oil
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

A friend of mine sent me the link to the contemporary NA art that the characters in the upper left and lower right were cribbed from. I lost the link! Anyway, the guy in the lower right is the giant man-eating owl that shows up in several tribal myths.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

So is there a consensus that Good Coop/Dougie is drawing the map to the lodges?
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

sylvia_north wrote:A friend of mine sent me the link to the contemporary NA art that the characters in the upper left and lower right were cribbed from. I lost the link! Anyway, the guy in the lower right is the giant man-eating owl that shows up in several tribal myths.
Wow, I never heard this before! Google "Spedis owl" for some great cave glyphs from Washington that do indeed bear a passing similarity to that...thing. (I believe the old Usenet TP timeline referred to it as ("Mayor McCheese"!)

Here's one link on the Spedis owls: http://rockartblog.blogspot.com/2010/08 ... l.html?m=1

(FWIW, "Big Owl Man" seems to be an Apache myth, so Mark is characteristically mixing and matching Native myths by including it in Dougie's backstory in TSH).
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

sylvia_north wrote:A friend of mine sent me the link to the contemporary NA art that the characters in the upper left and lower right were cribbed from. I lost the link! Anyway, the guy in the lower right is the giant man-eating owl that shows up in several tribal myths.
I'd found and posted some similar types of petroglyphs a few years ago, and some time after I'd posted them another user responded with an additional image which was undeniably related to the Owl Cave art. I can't find any of that stuff now. :(
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

OK, I managed to find a portion of the stuff. Much of it is simply similar to things on the map, but a couple of things are identical.

From AZ, the imagery is similar to the depictions of what are assumed to be the Giant and LMFAP:
Alter_and_Anasazi_pictographs_AZ.jpg
Alter_and_Anasazi_pictographs_AZ.jpg (406.1 KiB) Viewed 12336 times
Swirls similar to those seen on the map:
Arizona_turtles_spirals_rams.jpg
Arizona_turtles_spirals_rams.jpg (173.08 KiB) Viewed 12336 times
Similar to the depiction of the sun with rays and a dot in the center:
Saguaro_National_Park_Petroglyph.jpg
Saguaro_National_Park_Petroglyph.jpg (41.94 KiB) Viewed 12336 times
The owl being, as mentioned earlier:
Eastern Shoshone petroglyphs.jpg
Eastern Shoshone petroglyphs.jpg (203.21 KiB) Viewed 12336 times
This is more or less identical to the element on the upper center of the Owl Cave map. Obviously this one isn't coincidental:
Eastern Shoshone petroglyphs_b.jpg
Eastern Shoshone petroglyphs_b.jpg (181.2 KiB) Viewed 12336 times
I'd like to see some more like this if anyone has anything.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Do you have any more background on the Shoshone "owl" glyph you posted, re: its symbolism/signifcance? It looks nearly identical to the one on the TP Owl Cave "map." Very intriguing.
PeteMartell

Post by PeteMartell »

Wow bob wow. We are really getting into some ancient aliens territory. I love it.
silvo
Roadhouse Member

Post by silvo »

Does anyone know the history of the paintings that exist in this caves?
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

silvo wrote:Does anyone know the history of the paintings that exist in this caves?
You mean of the above pictures, and not the Twin Peaks fiction, right?

The history is varied. The indigenous people of North America were not united. And most of the N. American petroglyphs are not paintings, but rather rocks scratched in relief. These are out in the open. The range in age from 500 to 10000 years old. Most of the ones easily visible are fairly new.

Here is a bit of information about the ones in the Southwest, i.e. closest to the topic of Part 8. https://www.desertusa.com/desert-activi ... k-art.html
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

wxray wrote:
silvo wrote:Does anyone know the history of the paintings that exist in this caves?

The history is varied. The indigenous people of North America were not united. And most of the N. American petroglyphs are not paintings, but rather rocks scratched in relief. These are out in the open. The range in age from 500 to 10000 years old. Most of the ones easily visible are fairly new.

Here is a bit of information about the ones in the Southwest, i.e. closest to the topic of Part 8. https://www.desertusa.com/desert-activi ... k-art.html
It's fascinating. Never been into history but love stuff like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
silvo
Roadhouse Member

Post by silvo »

wxray wrote:

thanks! I thought we might get some clues about the twin peaks universe via the history of this images
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

silvo wrote:
wxray wrote:

thanks! I thought we might get some clues about the twin peaks universe via the history of this images
I think Mark and David have always played pretty fast and loose when using aspects of Native American myths, the occult, astrology, etc. (not to mention chess ;)). I think they're more interested in cool imagery/ideas than any particular adherence to reality. For instance, it seems like the Owl Cave map -- in addition to laughably containing astrological symbols -- owes most of its style to southwestern cave paintings. Sure, we can retroactively say how cool this is given the New Mexico / atom bomb connection.....but there's no way that was the intent in 1991. I don't think we're going to learn much about the TP mythology from the history of these cave paintings.

But, having said that, I sure as hell would love more info on them. Particularly the funky "owl/Mayor McCheese" one, which has always fascinated me. Never had any idea it was real, assumed it was a prop designer's folly.