Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
boske
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:15 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby boske » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:45 am

Another place where we see different frequencies at play is in part 17 (I think), when Cooper is parting from Cole and Diane in the Grate Northern basement and stepping through the door. As the door is getting shut you can the time slowing down for Cooper, when observed from the "outside" reference frame. At that point Cooper is therefore moving downward to reach the Dutchman's as it exists at a level below his (and it is thus reached via Great Northern basement). Contrast that with Mr. C having to climb up from the Convenience Store to reach the Dutchman's.
LateReg
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby LateReg » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:01 am

boske wrote:Another place where we see different frequencies at play is in part 17 (I think), when Cooper is parting from Cole and Diane in the Grate Northern basement and stepping through the door. As the door is getting shut you can the time slowing down for Cooper, when observed from the "outside" reference frame. At that point Cooper is therefore moving downward to reach the Dutchman's as it exists at a level below his (and it is thus reached via Great Northern basement). Contrast that with Mr. C having to climb up from the Convenience Store to reach the Dutchman's.


Great stuff. There's also the slo-mo "We live inside a dream" in Part 17 right at the moment you're talking about.
User avatar
bowisneski
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:51 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby bowisneski » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:30 am

I'm not sure if I just missed this when trying to search the board, but BUF posted a bunch of concept art of Experiment, Frogmoth(with an owl face at one point), and Fireman's Palace. https://buf.com/design/twin-peaks/

T1.jpg
T1.jpg (243.16 KiB) Viewed 778 times


T2.jpg
T2.jpg (357.95 KiB) Viewed 778 times


T3.jpg
T3.jpg (232.67 KiB) Viewed 778 times


T4.jpg
T4.jpg (239.11 KiB) Viewed 778 times


T5.jpg
T5.jpg (270.09 KiB) Viewed 778 times
User avatar
bowisneski
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:51 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby bowisneski » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:31 am

T6.jpg
T6.jpg (238.55 KiB) Viewed 778 times


T7.jpg
T7.jpg (258.66 KiB) Viewed 778 times


T8.jpg
T8.jpg (248.33 KiB) Viewed 778 times


fr4.jpg
fr4.jpg (240.91 KiB) Viewed 778 times


fr8.jpg
fr8.jpg (242.75 KiB) Viewed 778 times
User avatar
bowisneski
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:51 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby bowisneski » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:34 am

There's a lot more than the three posts I'm making, so I highly suggest checking out the page. It's so interesting.

fr9.jpg
fr9.jpg (234.3 KiB) Viewed 778 times


fi1.jpg
fi1.jpg (191.27 KiB) Viewed 778 times


fi2.jpg
fi2.jpg (204.87 KiB) Viewed 778 times


fi3.jpg
fi3.jpg (335.92 KiB) Viewed 778 times


fi4.jpg
fi4.jpg (330.76 KiB) Viewed 778 times
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2854
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:31 pm

bowisneski wrote:I'm not sure if I just missed this when trying to search the board, but BUF posted a bunch of concept art of Experiment, Frogmoth(with an owl face at one point), and Fireman's Palace.


Wow! Really wild stuff! It looks like “Experiment” also has a bird head in a bunch of drawings, then possibly morphs into the frogmoth? I wonder if the script called for the owl/bird stuff, or if that was a touch the designer added on his own due to the original show. The concept of a frogmouth with an owl head is a little much even for TP! :lol: And the final concept of the frogmoth onscreen ended up being based almost exactly on a Lynch drawing from the 1970s, so I doubt he ever wanted to go in a different direction.

Thanks for posting this! Great find!
User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Jasper » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:13 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
bowisneski wrote:I'm not sure if I just missed this when trying to search the board, but BUF posted a bunch of concept art of Experiment, Frogmoth(with an owl face at one point), and Fireman's Palace.


Wow! Really wild stuff! It looks like “Experiment” also has a bird head in a bunch of drawings, then possibly morphs into the frogmoth? I wonder if the script called for the owl/bird stuff, or if that was a touch the designer added on his own due to the original show. The concept of a frogmouth with an owl head is a little much even for TP! :lol: And the final concept of the frogmoth onscreen ended up being based almost exactly on a Lynch drawing from the 1970s, so I doubt he ever wanted to go in a different direction.

Thanks for posting this! Great find!


Yeah, this is really fascinating to see. Thanks!
User avatar
bowisneski
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:51 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby bowisneski » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:01 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Wow! Really wild stuff! It looks like “Experiment” also has a bird head in a bunch of drawings, then possibly morphs into the frogmoth? I wonder if the script called for the owl/bird stuff, or if that was a touch the designer added on his own due to the original show. The concept of a frogmouth with an owl head is a little much even for TP! :lol: And the final concept of the frogmoth onscreen ended up being based almost exactly on a Lynch drawing from the 1970s, so I doubt he ever wanted to go in a different direction.

Thanks for posting this! Great find!


I was extremely surprised to see faces and hair on them cause I’ve seen Lynch’s similar lithos and figured he just showed BUF a picture. And I wonder if it was based on the idea that the frogmoth is Expirement’s offspring. Stuff like this makes me want to see the script to read the way they were described.

You’re welcome! I’m surprised anything like this exists at all. Do you have a link to/copy of the OG frogmoth drawing? I’d love to see that.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2854
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:34 pm

bowisneski wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Wow! Really wild stuff! It looks like “Experiment” also has a bird head in a bunch of drawings, then possibly morphs into the frogmoth? I wonder if the script called for the owl/bird stuff, or if that was a touch the designer added on his own due to the original show. The concept of a frogmouth with an owl head is a little much even for TP! :lol: And the final concept of the frogmoth onscreen ended up being based almost exactly on a Lynch drawing from the 1970s, so I doubt he ever wanted to go in a different direction.

Thanks for posting this! Great find!


I was extremely surprised to see faces and hair on them cause I’ve seen Lynch’s similar lithos and figured he just showed BUF a picture. And I wonder if it was based on the idea that the frogmoth is Expirement’s offspring. Stuff like this makes me want to see the script to read the way they were described.

You’re welcome! I’m surprised anything like this exists at all. Do you have a link to/copy of the OG frogmoth drawing? I’d love to see that.


From page 55 of ‘Someone Is in My House’ (Prestel Verlag, 2018):

985BC3FE-4EB6-4800-851F-887BDC08C527.jpeg
985BC3FE-4EB6-4800-851F-887BDC08C527.jpeg (387.28 KiB) Viewed 731 times


Listed as “late 1960s.”

Also including this for literally no reason except that it was on the previous page of the book and really made me laugh:
Attachments
675B1DCB-B4B2-47B3-BA6F-18D7A6B784F6.jpeg
675B1DCB-B4B2-47B3-BA6F-18D7A6B784F6.jpeg (513.33 KiB) Viewed 729 times
User avatar
bowisneski
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:51 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby bowisneski » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:13 pm

Awesome, thanks! I really need to revisit that book.
User avatar
bowisneski
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:51 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby bowisneski » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:05 pm

I think it's just the hair, but 8 and 9 remind me of Jeffries.

T8.jpg
T8.jpg (248.33 KiB) Viewed 575 times
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Postby krishnanspace » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:48 am

Interesting to see the frogmoth had the owls face in some of the concepts

Return to “Parts Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests