Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by frompureair »

Lol Cooper flew the Coop was a lovely moment
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Someone on Reddit has pointed out that with the reveal of "Jack Rabbit Palace" as a place of significance, it was indeed about the bunny.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

The Johnny Horne scene was well done. The style was meant to evoke his mother's inability to see where he was. Hence, we couldn't see him much either. Hilarious.

The parts all end where they end because this is a movie, not a TV show. "Parts" not "episodes." I'm curious why people keep saying things like, "what an odd place to end!"
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Few more things I forgot to mention:

Showing the remains of the Packard Mill right across from the sheriff's station was an odd choice. Yes, I know this is the set-up of the actual location, but the Pilot shoot/establishing shots from the old show went out of their way to obscure this, and series tie-in maps/materials have always placed the Mill way north of town. Are we to now take it as canon that the Mill is right next to the sheriff's station?

In a somewhat related vein, am I right in thinking all the establishing shots of the Great Northern we've seen are recycled from the old show? Did DKL shoot any new footage of the Salish Lodge? (I'm assuming the interiors were Hollywood sets.)

The American flag shot has to be the most overtly patriotic thing in DKL's career. I found it simultaneously moving and jarring. While his works are frequently obsessed with American ideas, ideals and culture, he rarely if ever addresses the idea of patriotism or even mentions the USA by name in his work. As many have noted, the show/franchise has always portrayed G-men with the old-fashioned sincerity of a Jimmy Stewart movie, and I believe that Eagle Scout DKL intended that moment to play as fully (or mostly) genuine. However, anyone who follows Mark Frost's Twitter has to wonder about his perspective.

Finally, as someone who has consistently shit on Andy & Lucy scenes as one of the few weak points this season, I'll admit that I thought the chair debate was hysterically funny and also very sweet.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

Ha! Chocolate bunny! Amazing
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

"Around the dinner table the conversation is lively." So much coded language, and just what was this line supposed to represent? Like "The cow jumped over the moon."

I tried to decide also, whether the 2 girls in the end scene in the booth at the bar were talking in 'code' referencing zoo animals. As well as "flipping burgers" meaning something else, like turning tricks. It might've been straight talk; but zebras and penguins both are black and white...

The dirty blond girl looked harsh even before she revealed the strange rash. Really Lynch? -- a bizarre rash is going to lead to something dreadful. The compulsive scratching at her armpit, eww.

OTOH seemed like a nice touch Jennifer Jason with taking out her chewing gum before macking on DoppelCoop. Just an added layer of trashy, and I noticed the bag of chips in her pocket but figured it was like the motel scene in part 3[?], there were half-finished bags of chips and crumbs on the floor. Instead it was a snack for DoppelCoop to take on the road~
Last edited by Framed_Angel on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Why there's a flash of light when Johnny slams his head? Should we read anything into it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Jonah wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:A few side notes

- Really don't like Ben being this nice. I think most would agree his character works best when he's conniving and evil. I get the object of personal growth but thus far I've wanted more from his scenes. Hopefully with the eventual re introduction of Audrey his story will eventually progress...

Thus far we've got 8 episodes to go...

- No Big Ed
- No Audrey
- No dialogue/quick flashes of Nadine, Sarah Palmer and James.
- Very small scenes with Norma and Shelly. Smaller for Norma

And we still know nothing about where any of there lives are at. I hope we get some small answers soon. I really need that to have this thing come full circle. I think a lot of others would agree.
With some of the characters, especially those who have only appeared in one scene, I think we might have already seen as much as we're going to see. I think Shelly will figure into it a little more - but probably not much. Maybe James will too. In fact, he probably will. Not sure how much Audrey will feature. Wasn't Sherilyn Fenn upset with how little screentime she got? Then I think her role was expanded a little.

I know that The Return is Cooper's odyssey back to Twin Peaks, but in the unlikely event this is renewed for another season, it would be great if Season 4 was completely set in the town itself and featured more of these characters in bigger roles. Especially for the actors' sake.
Out of all the characters mentioned I'd be stunned if that was the last we've seen of them. James Marshall said in an interview his role was a lot more important this time and that he was really honored with that. Also if we don't get scenes with Norma and Big Ed and Shelly and Bobby I'd be pretty disappointed.
I think James will figure into it in relation to Laura. Not sure if Shelly will get much more screentime, maybe a few scenes, but maybe she will.

I doubt we'll see much - if any - of Mike Nelson, Betty Briggs, etc. again.

I think it all depends how quickly Dougie/Coop gets back to Twin Peaks.

I was hoping for a surprise Josie/Catherine/Harry cameos - but I think this is growing increasingly unlikely.

My biggest disappointment in The Return so far is how little these characters (actors) are being used, but let's see if they'll feature more. But we're a good bit of the way through now, so it's hard to guage, and even harder to imagine a lot of them will figure into it much more.

Does anyone remember what went down with Fenn? Wasn't there something about her role being increased a little when she dropped out initially or am I misremembering that?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

frompureair wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:What's up with Cole's pants?

Honestly it reminded me of the boy who doesn't like to dress up and is being dragged somewhere fancy so all the close look big and frumpy on him.. :lol:

Reminds me of a certain grandson who said "Fell a victim" as Gordon looks like a child here and with the corncob/blast pics in his office are we to assume Gordon was that victim? Perhaps of the woodsman? Was it ever revealed how he lost his hearing?
Who is of course David Lynch's son. Who has Gordon's hair and suit.
Hmmmm
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Jerry Horne wrote:What's up with Cole's pants?
LMAO
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

frompureair wrote:Lol Cooper flew the Coop was a lovely moment
It's a reused gag, though. Albert says "Your former partner flew the coop, Coop," in Episode 9 of the original show.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I'll throw it out there...Johnny was running from Josie in that scene. Maybe he has the ability to see her unlike others. Though it didn't look like they were inside the GN. The Horne family did live in the hotel, right?
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

frompureair wrote:Lol Cooper flew the Coop was a lovely moment
It's the most Gordon Cole thing Gordon has said since: "There's the one-armer now!"
Welcome...to the third...place.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

I believe the girls at the end are on whatever new drug is being used around town hence the "Red" rash.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Esselgee wrote:I'll throw it out there...Johnny was running from Josie in that scene. Maybe he has the ability to see her unlike others. Though it didn't look like they were inside the GN. The Horne family did live in the hotel, right?
I bet the Horne's are divorced and possibly living in different towns, that's why he doesn't know about Johnny yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk