Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

master468
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by master468 »

madeleineferguson wrote:Image
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yeah, the "What happens in Season 2?" line was very funny. It might prove prescient if this revival does get a second season.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

thoughts / questions:

1. who killed hasting's secretary, phillip? not bad coop, he wanted the coordinates from her. does this mean phillip has the coordinates?

2a. so duncan todd works for bad coop? guess that makes more sense than jefferies, but for some reason i was thinking jefferies till this episode

2b. what if he works for BOTH of them and is betraying one of them? maybe that's why he seems so agitated all the time!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I suggested maybe Cooper will wake up, but remain as Dougie and not letting anyone know until he gets a handle on everything... But never the idea he might stay as him... And in Twin Peaks.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Terence
Roadhouse Member

Post by Terence »

Seeing David as Gordon staring & looking back & forth at the cigarette wss funny as hell & one of best things David has done on screen... :D
Last edited by Terence on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:(Somewhat related note: No one has mentioned the kid Richard ran over in several weeks. I generally don't mind this show being all over the place, but within the world of the TP sherff's station, you'd think Truman would be more concerned with solving the killing of a local kid as opposed to following up tangents from a 25-year-old closed case.)
While It's true that Andy's presence in Part 9 made me wonder why we didn't see him talking about his investigation into the hit and run vehicle, it hasn't really been "weeks," of course. It's just been a day since he talked to that guy who failed to meet up with him. I'm wondering if he already told Truman about it offscreen, and if the investigation is under control and we'll hear about its progress next week (it could still be the same day as this Part), or in typical Andy fashion if he hasn't gotten a chance to tell anyone about it yet. It's a little odd, but if we were watching it as a continuous movie in which it's easier to grasp the timeline and didn't have to wait weeks in between episodes, I don't think it would feel all that odd. Plot points are generally revisited in the proper, natural time frame, in my opinion.
This is fair. From a conventional television narrative storytelling standpoint, it's insane that this plot has been totally ignored for three straight hours. But when viewed as an 18-hour movie, we have to accept that TP:TR is stretching time and storytelling to the breaking point.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

So if the ultimate goal here is to get Coop back to Twin Peaks, I wonder how much these other plot strands are going to be wrapped up before that happens. And I'm really beginning to wonder if Coop back in TP will only be in the last double-part episode - or just the last few episodes, given the way the pace has been so far. It sounds like the next few taglines/titles (especially "Laura is the One") is going to begin setting these things in motion. But I figure it will be the last 4-5 (or last 2) where Coop is back in TP. Would be surprised if it happens sooner than that!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
Jonah wrote:Forgot to add - I really like how it's developing the Bobby/Garland connection. Very moving.

I hope we see Audrey soon. And Laura again.

Is the hum Josie or not? Hmmmm.

Not much else to add. A good episode, a little slow, but moving things forward and connecting back.

Who else thinks Janey-E is going to go to Twin Peaks with Dougie/Cooper?
Somebody mentioned the possibility, and I wonder if there's something to it, that Cooper might decide to continue being "Dougie" if and when he regains full control of his faculties. Not that I think he'd pretend not to have remembered who he is, but rather that he might - once he's done whatever he can to thwart DoppelCooper and any other Black Lodge types - decide not to return to the FBI or stay in Twin Peaks. Not only is he likely to feel a lot of guilt and trauma over everything that's happened, but I wonder if he'd also feel like he owes something to Janey-E and Jim, and he might have hoped to have a family some day back before the events of the original series turned his life completely upside-down.
I've wondered if this could be the result as well but I would not be a fan... No FBI? Fine I guess but I'd at least like him to return to Twin Peaks. All though 2/3 people most important to him there are gone.. :cry:
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

master468 wrote:
Didn't DoppelCooper losing it in the car and the swap between the real Cooper and Dougie happen at 2:53 p.m. too?
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:
Jonah wrote:Forgot to add - I really like how it's developing the Bobby/Garland connection. Very moving.

I hope we see Audrey soon. And Laura again.

Is the hum Josie or not? Hmmmm.

Not much else to add. A good episode, a little slow, but moving things forward and connecting back.

Who else thinks Janey-E is going to go to Twin Peaks with Dougie/Cooper?
Somebody mentioned the possibility, and I wonder if there's something to it, that Cooper might decide to continue being "Dougie" if and when he regains full control of his faculties. Not that I think he'd pretend not to have remembered who he is, but rather that he might - once he's done whatever he can to thwart DoppelCooper and any other Black Lodge types - decide not to return to the FBI or stay in Twin Peaks. Not only is he likely to feel a lot of guilt and trauma over everything that's happened, but I wonder if he'd also feel like he owes something to Janey-E and Jim, and he might have hoped to have a family some day back before the events of the original series turned his life completely upside-down.
I've wondered if this could be the result as well but I would not be a fan... No FBI? Fine I guess but I'd at least like him to return to Twin Peaks. All though 2/3 people most important to him there are gone.. :cry:
I think he'll go back to the town. I just mean that he might not end up staying there once he's done whatever he needs to do. In the original series he was seemingly thinking about buying property there because he'd become so fond of the place. Now, it might just be too many unpleasant reminders.
JohnGSmoke
Roadhouse Member

Post by JohnGSmoke »

I wonder if Cooper will wake up when Albert, Diane and Gordon visit him in Las Vegas?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
master468 wrote:
Didn't DoppelCooper losing it in the car and the swap between the real Cooper and Dougie happen at 2:53 p.m. too?
Was just about to point that out, figured that had already been revealed but now we see the time again...
psyifinotic
Roadhouse Member

Post by psyifinotic »

fearless leader wrote:bEST Line of Part 9: "I am not your foot".

I hope somehow Jerry is the one that ties it all together.
this is perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Anyway, regarding the Twin Peaks cops in this episode:

- IIRC, the "dossier" from Frost's book was specified as being found at the Bookhouse, but did anyone else wonder if Betty was going to pull out some clue to where to find it, or a key to where it's locked away, or something like that? (Though maybe this expedition in a couple days will lead them to it anyway.)

- Given that Hawk and presumably Frank too know about the Lodges and understand the meaning of Laura's missing diary page, it's surprising that they haven't contacted the FBI themselves yet. Unless they just assume that the FBI would dismiss the entire possibility of the supernatural being involved? But I *think* Hawk was there for the conversation after Leland's death when Harry was having trouble with the idea of Bob being real and Albert seemed at least open to the idea.

- I hate to say it, but I felt a tiny bit of sympathy for Chad trying to get out the door without dropping his lunch. Maybe partly because I have to swipe an ID card to get to my cubicle at work, and managing to do that and then open the door without dropping my lunch is sometimes a bit of a trick. Though I also don't take bribes from drug dealers and am generally less of an asshole at work than Chad is (at least I hope I am!).
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

The fact that it was TWO tv dinners was such a vile little detail that for some reason underlined him as extra despicable.