Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Rhodes »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:That hour felt very exposition-heavy. Particularly the Bill Hastings scene: after all the build-up in Parts 1 & 2 hinting at some sort of possible LH-style identity/reality confusion, we get an anticlimactic, chatty backstory revealing that Hastings and Ruth were armchair occultists. Eh. Wonder if that's the last we'll see of Lillard, seems like he was more plot device than protagonist after all.

The scenes with Bobby & co. were also too dialogue/backstory-heavy

Initial reaction: This was overall the least satisfied I've been with an episode since Part 4. Not a bad hour by any stretch, but it spent way too much time telling rather than showing, particularly disappointing after the glorious Part 8. I think it might improve on rewatches once I've adjusted my expectations slightly.
Agree very much.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

The coordinates are just above the trees

Click them and a video of the convenience store plays

Is bad cooper searching for the convenience store?
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Pinky »

Terence wrote:Seeing David as Gordon staring & looking back & forth at the cigarette wss funny as hell & one of best things David has done on screen... :D
He just keeps getting better. He's basically playing Professor Calculus half the time but he makes it work.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

I know everyone is sick of the subject, but I feel ever more convinced that we're going to see Bowie, even if it is fleeting CGI footage like with Don Davis. Jeffries is hanging over this thing like a cloud and I don't believe we're getting a recast. Even if it's just twenty seconds of workmanlike CGI, I'll bet it happens.

sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

cowwithfivelegs wrote:The coordinates are on the bottom of Hastings' website:
44°30'44.8"N 103°49'14.6"W
44.512439, -103.820707
23431 Ditch Creek Rd, Hill City, SD 57745, USA
Attachments
use.jpg
use.jpg (86.24 KiB) Viewed 9476 times
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Pinky »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:
Somebody mentioned the possibility, and I wonder if there's something to it, that Cooper might decide to continue being "Dougie" if and when he regains full control of his faculties. Not that I think he'd pretend not to have remembered who he is, but rather that he might - once he's done whatever he can to thwart DoppelCooper and any other Black Lodge types - decide not to return to the FBI or stay in Twin Peaks. Not only is he likely to feel a lot of guilt and trauma over everything that's happened, but I wonder if he'd also feel like he owes something to Janey-E and Jim, and he might have hoped to have a family some day back before the events of the original series turned his life completely upside-down.
I've wondered if this could be the result as well but I would not be a fan... No FBI? Fine I guess but I'd at least like him to return to Twin Peaks. All though 2/3 people most important to him there are gone.. :cry:
I think he'll go back to the town. I just mean that he might not end up staying there once he's done whatever he needs to do. In the original series he was seemingly thinking about buying property there because he'd become so fond of the place. Now, it might just be too many unpleasant reminders.
Its either off into the sunset with Dougie's family, or a heroic death for Coop. I think he'll make it out of the Lodge a second time but that's about it.

dustoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by dustoff »

Does Briggs' note suggest that Lynch's RABBITS is somehow be tied to the TP universe, considering that Scott Coffey (Jack Rabbit) is on the cast list and has yet to be seen?
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

master468 wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:Image
Wasn't 2:53 when DoppleCoop/Bob was being pulled back into the lodge, just before the car wreck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Ross wrote:
Esselgee wrote:Eric Rondell as Johnny Horne. He seems to be a stunt man and not an actor. His head injury is similar to Ben's from Doc Hayward. Hopefully, Johnny survives. Was that supposed to be inside the Great Northern?
Our first recast (Johnny #3). And poor Sylvia!! She pops up and doesn't even show her face! And no, I don't think that was supposed to be the GH. So either they no longer live at the Hotel, or maybe Johnny is in a facility?

Also, who is the "Harry" mentioned in this scene!?
She says "Mary" in the subtitles.
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

garethw wrote:
Pinky wrote:MacLachlan outdid himself here, that stare was something else. I was transfixed. Poor Coop.
I'm racking my brain of Twin Peaks trivia and trying to figure out the significance of the red shoes he fixates on. All I can come up with was Lill, but that doesn't seem to fit.

Anyone got anything else?

I though it was an Audrey memory -- not really the shoes but the skirt + shoes plus the walk.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Ross wrote: I think Audrey ended up having a smaller part than planned because of whatever caused Sherilyn to delay signing on until very late.
SF didn't sign on late, DL signed her on late. It didn't turn out to be a starring role because that's how it was written.

ps I thought red pumps are just Coop's "male gaze" activating. Lots of ladies own em for just that reason!
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nikki Grace »

Rhodes wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:That hour felt very exposition-heavy. Particularly the Bill Hastings scene: after all the build-up in Parts 1 & 2 hinting at some sort of possible LH-style identity/reality confusion, we get an anticlimactic, chatty backstory revealing that Hastings and Ruth were armchair occultists. Eh. Wonder if that's the last we'll see of Lillard, seems like he was more plot device than protagonist after all.

The scenes with Bobby & co. were also too dialogue/backstory-heavy

Initial reaction: This was overall the least satisfied I've been with an episode since Part 4. Not a bad hour by any stretch, but it spent way too much time telling rather than showing, particularly disappointing after the glorious Part 8. I think it might improve on rewatches once I've adjusted my expectations slightly.
Agree very much.
I liked it a lot more but I agree with regards to Hastings' dialogue. That scene seemed a real Mark Frost creation.
thunderclap82
Roadhouse Member

Post by thunderclap82 »

twin-b wrote:
camel1206 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbi7rq-TSk8

Just love how everything is tying together.
Almost... 3 Coopers there.

[edit: I guess the readout from the capsule could have been different though and included to indicate he 2 Coopers]
Actually if you go back and look at the season 2 footage, there are at least two Coopers that continue off the page. It's hard to see because Briggs's finger obscures it. The capsule was blown up and cuts off after the second.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

sylvia_north wrote:
Ross wrote: I think Audrey ended up having a smaller part than planned because of whatever caused Sherilyn to delay signing on until very late.
SF didn't sign on late, DL signed her on late.
I don't think that's true. IIRC, she threw a very public social media tantrum after filming was well underway saying she was turning the show down because Hollywood doesn't give meaty roles to older females. I believe people who were in the know said that Audrey/Sherilyn was supposed to shoot in Washington, but didn't because she held out on signing.
ps I thought red pumps are just Coop's "male gaze" activating. Lots of ladies own em for just that reason!
Same!
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

With EvilCoop heading for somewhere, coupled with all the other exposition in the episode, it already feels like the dark clouds are gathering. And we still have nine hours left. Excellent.