Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Ross »

sylvia_north wrote:
Ross wrote: I think Audrey ended up having a smaller part than planned because of whatever caused Sherilyn to delay signing on until very late.
SF didn't sign on late, DL signed her on late. It didn't turn out to be a starring role because that's how it was written.

ps I thought red pumps are just Coop's "male gaze" activating. Lots of ladies own em for just that reason!
She did indeed sign on late. She was supposed to film in WA but refused. The part was always small, but probably got a bit smaller.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

I really thought the Deer Meadow Shuffle was great as the LV cops were backslapping in the parking lot...I assumed from that musical cue and Ike's hasty packing that they'd completely bungle the takedown.

I don't know about Albert, but I'm in love with Constance.

Diane getting either harrassment or info from DoppleCoop...don't know what to make of it since Diane was being so squirrelly and she hasn't had her tete-a-tete with Gordon yet. Why are they putting that off?!

I was dreading Sky Ferreira's part either as a musician or actor but I really really felt for her down-on-her-luck tweaker. Yeah, the rash was gross but if it's due to whatever evil Red brought to town I can't help but feel sorry for everyone caught up in the seediness. Her friend seemed quite sinister to me. I'm glad Sky isn't playing yet another sexy blonde.

People who don't like Bobby wearing his emotions on his face at all times, sorry. That's always been his jam, and I love him for it. If all the Laura and Major stuff has been buried deep for 25 years, of course the sudden unearthing is gonna bring up some feelings. Bobby's trembling chin ftw.
Rodigy

Post by Rodigy »

It's so good to know that we're only half way there!
dontlooknow

Post by dontlooknow »

Hercousin wrote:[diane] hasn't had her tete-a-tete with Gordon yet. Why are they putting that off?!

they didnt, it's in the scene when she looks at gordon. i think we are supposed to think that she told him everything with that look.
gordon needs one drag of her cigarette afterwards.
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

Framed_Angel wrote:Very minor detail but one I appreciated: Ike the Spike in his first motel appearance some time ago, it was Bulleit bourbon bottle seen on the dresser as he did shots from it. I'm partial to Bulleit myself and, don't care for Wild Turkey or Jim Beam or others since trying it.
Tonight: instead it was Jack Daniels on the dresser. And Ike made this *face* after taking a swig. It cracked me up.
It was actually Evan Williams. Much better than Jack Daniels but way worse than Bulleit!
-
As above, so below.
-
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Jacob wrote:
Well it's the first time this season I thought a part was boring. But here everything felt predictable and formulaic.
It's not that it was just all narrative and no esthetic (like for exemple Part 7), it's that it was overly expository. Blablabla, all talk.
I normally am against over-exposition too. Yet this Part 9 didn't prickle my nerves w/ this annoyance, maybe only a couple times since you mentioned.*
* It felt to me like Betty Briggs had a rather speech-giving aspect to her lines but, then again so did Annie in S2 at one point practically reciting non-speech stuff to the camera almost, right before Dale called her "his Queen". Or any number of scenes with Windom Earle? Norma and Big Ed got exposit-y in places about his past w/ Nadine or hers w/Hank; or, a scene in S2 when Doc Hayward is meandering back and forth around his office desk talking to whomever about something very speech-y/ preachy. So I don't think the expository parts were all that out of character for TP where they were used here in Part 9.
We understand so much about Bob and the Red Room, I never though Lynch would go so deep in the explanation of this universe.

Do we understand? There's still a lot of confusion IMO about both the Red Room and BOB. Many ppl still can't agree whether the Red Room is a waiting room, a function of both Black & White Lodges, or just one/ the other. Doppelgangers were introduced and reiterated from S2's finale into S3 briefly but not thoroughly explained.
BOB to me is hardly understandable yet. He would possess Leland from possibly a younger age but we never heard him except briefly tell Dale and Harry about his childhood experience at Pearl Lakes. Why did BOB inhabit Leland only to pursue Teresa Banks and then Laura but how about beforehand, preceding those victims? Now that he's possessed Coop why is he inhabiting him 24/7 instead of like with Leland, restored in alternate moments to the usual father / husband/ affable lawyer and country club golfer? And after Part 8 I think it's more questions about BOB than answers. By all means help me understand if you've grasped the whole BOB thing, including where are the OWLS this season?
If Lynch was a conceptual guy, he could even have made the 3.08 as a silent film to really make his point : to prove that you can manage to be « narative » in yet a totally figurative way, without dialogues (but since he’s totally free, well, he don’t care about demonstration).
This is Lynch, who parlayed the whole love-triangle motif endlessly in S1-2 while incorporating other aesthetic, supernatural and surrealist elements. Suggesting the whole unfolding of what Part 9 shows us, with four Horne family members** and Ike, Dougie and Bushnell, all of the deputies plus sheriff and briefly Duncan Todd, declaring ALL of that one-dimensional seems to me reducing an appraisal of these developments is in itself peeling back merely one layer of the multi-levels to be explored.
** If anything, what I felt was redundant is Ben & Beverley AGAIN searching for the source of his office's hum. I'd have rather learned more about what's her deal with the dude back home in the wheelchair on oxygen.
Plus, all the funny stuff fell flat
4.I felt like the old Albert, deadpanning his lines, was coming through more than previously. And with a counterpoint in the form of the mortician lady, which was a nice alchemy of old/new.
I was also a bit disappointed by the role of Roth. Very, very forgettable.

Since I haven't seen him in anything since "Pulp Fiction" I don't know how we were to expect Roth to be. I never cared for that tv show he once starred in about a profiler type. Since so many other new characters have had very few spoken lines upon their introduction (like Tammy for example), I was actually surprised Roth and JJ Leigh had as many as they were given. Plus Leigh as Chantal "showed" as much as she spoke, think of her gestures: taking the gum from her mouth before kissing DoppelCoop, handing him the bag of chips
(hello Amanda Seyfried ?).
OK on that I agree in full. How's Becky? How's Becky? ; )
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Just re heard the closing song, "A violent yet flammable world" on Apple Music. That is a good song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

yaxomoxay wrote:Most disturbing thing in episode 9 is that the girl's beer can is obviously empty and she keeps drinking from it.

I KNOW. Took me right out of the scenes. She was such a tweaker though, maybe she didn't notice? (Grasping at straws here...)
-
As above, so below.
-
Jude
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jude »

It was a another good episode, but it definitely left me wanting even more. The scene with Betty, Bobby, Hawk and Truman was definitely the highlight of the episode for me, really wonderful acting from Charlotte Stewart there. It will be exciting to see where Bobby, Truman and Hawk are headed to and what happens after that. I think the second half of the season could be a one of a kind rollercoaster ride.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Taperecorder wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:Most disturbing thing in episode 9 is that the girl's beer can is obviously empty and she keeps drinking from it.

I KNOW. Took me right out of the scenes. She was such a tweaker though, maybe she didn't notice? (Grasping at straws here...)
My feelings exactly. I became almost solely focused on the beer can.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Taperecorder wrote:

The only reason this is possible is that the can actually made the sound of an empty can. I think that this type of sounds are created in studios, so it could've been totally deliberate.

I hope so, at least because it was incredibly distracting.

Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

we had an owl outside Dougie's house, with the limo driver.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Jude wrote:It was a another good episode, but it definitely left me wanting even more. The scene with Betty, Bobby, Hawk and Truman was definitely the highlight of the episode for me, really wonderful acting from Charlotte Stewart there. It will be exciting to see where Bobby, Truman and Hawk are headed to and what happens after that. I think the second half of the season could be a one of a kind rollercoaster ride.
I loved that Betty said to her son that the Major was certain of Bobby's good future. It reminded me of the dream that the Major told his son at the double R. I think that we can say at this point that was not only a dream, but the Major was just TELLING Bobby to not lose hope. Ever.
That episode made Bobby a better person and now we know why.

frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

The waterfall in the picture Johnny hit stood out to me instantly and now after hearing about the hydroelectric guy on Hastings website I'm very intrigued. The gold light that flashed reminded me of Laura maybe she is his guardian angel now but then again we don't know if it was fatal yet.imagine if there is a hidden cavity behind the falls at the great northern...
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jacob wrote:Well it's the first time this season I thought a part was boring. At least Part 6 was full of great ideas, even if sometimes they weren't really well executed. But here everything felt predictable and formulaic. At the end, the scene at the Roadhouse (again) with Au Revoir Simone (again) made me wanna sleep.

It's not that it was just all narrative and no esthetic (like for exemple Part 7), it's that it was overly expository. Blablabla, all talk. Totally agree with Mr. Reindeer about that.
I mean, what was so brilliant about 3.08 -- I kept thinking about it last week, like everyone I suppose --, it's not only how crazy and beautiful it looked : it's how Lynch here has never been in a way so clear and narative about the origin of the oniric figures of his world. We understand so much about Bob and the Red Room, I never though Lynch would go so deep in the explanation of this universe. But at the same time, nothing is told, nothing is litteral, everything is figurative, everything is cinema. If Lynch was a conceptual guy, he could even have made the 3.08 as a silent film to really make his point : to prove that you can manage to be « narative » in yet a totally figurative way, without dialogues (but since he’s totally free, well, he don’t care about demonstration).
So yeah, even If we can't expect something like 3.08 every week, this part was a letdown.

Plus, all the funny stuff fell flat. I agree with Rhodes : the old characters scenes are in general not as good as the rest.

I was also a bit disappointed by the role of Roth. Very, very forgettable. I hope he's not going to disappear a la Jeremy Davies.

On the brighter side, Matthew Lillard was as brilliant as before. He really saves the scene because otherwise it's a pretty deceptive one. And I liked Sky Ferreira very much. She's captivating and a lot better than in "The Green Inferno". Even though she seems a bit lost with all this new TP characters that appears and then fade away (hello Amanda Seyfried ?). I guess she's gonna meet Balthazar Getty or Richard Horne one time or another. Or not...

Anyway, I hope we're gonna SEE something next week and not being told about it.

Part 8 > Part 3 > Part 1 > Part 4 > Part 7 > Part 5 > Part 2 > Part 6 > Part 9
This is an 18 hour movie. Undoubtedly, there will be some parts we all will like better than others. I can't imagine it being any other way.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly