Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Geez, tough crowd. I have to imagine that if I got a message from my dead father, reminding me of sweet childhood memories and essentially telling me from beyond the grave how proud he was of me, I'd get a little verklempft too. No shame in that. In fact, playing that scene any other way would have felt false.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Soolsma wrote: Do you have a problem with crying men Agent Sam Stanley? (LOL I was gonna abbreviate your name but then I realized.... )
Not really, but in this case felt a little over the top/out of tone.
And you can always call me Sam or Stanley, unless you think ASS would be appropriate :mrgreen:
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Geez, tough crowd. I have to imagine that if I got a message from my dead father, reminding me of sweet childhood memories and essentially telling me from beyond the grave how proud he was of me, I'd get a little verklempft too. No shame in that. In fact, playing that scene any other way would have felt false.
That scene yes, case files scene a little too much.
And I think ep 9 scene would've worked better without ep 4 scene too.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:It's Heinrich Viegel, who is mentioned on the site as Hastings's sometime collaborator. No idea who HE is; in the show Hastings says Ruth was his collaborator, but the site makes no mention of her. Curious...
I was trying to figure out why the "Horizon Project" link was there, since it appears to go to a fake German financial site. I wonder if Viegel is German and it's his site. Strangely enough, it was through a German financier that Jack Parsons funneled money to Alister Crowley in England. He ended up being Crowley's successor. (Karl Germer)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Geez, tough crowd. I have to imagine that if I got a message from my dead father, reminding me of sweet childhood memories and essentially telling me from beyond the grave how proud he was of me, I'd get a little verklempft too. No shame in that. In fact, playing that scene any other way would have felt false.
I agree with you there.

What did you think of the Hastings scene though? I will have to watch it again, but that scene did strike me as a bit over the top, but then again, my guess is that is how Lynch wanted it to play.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I think the biggest plot problem so far is the Annie thing. Hawk gets a message from the Log Lady about Agent Cooper- starting the police on a path to look into his disappearance. This leads him to Laura's diary page about Cooper and the Lodge from Annie. So then the question to them becomes what happened to Cooper in the Lodge? The very first thing anyone would do in that situation would be to talk to the ONLY PERSON THAT WAS ACTUALLY THERE with Cooper. If Annie is dead, or missing- at least say so. If Hawk and company don't know, they would find out. But just not looking into her at all makes the characters seem kind of inept. I can understand if Frost and Lynch didn't want to follow the Annie character. But within the storyline, at least give a reason why this line of evidence is a dead end. And if Annie was murdered, I would think that fact would be, you know, kind of important to the investigation.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

That is a plot hole. The only reasonable solution I can think of is they're saving it up for later.

I'm helping you hope Ross.. Annie is one of my favorites too. I have to admit though: I'm glad we even got that journal entry.
Last edited by Soolsma on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:
I agree with you there.

What did you think of the Hastings scene though? I will have to watch it again, but that scene did strike me as a bit over the top, but then again, my guess is that is how Lynch wanted it to play.
Agreed on both points. As others have noted, it felt a lot more like what I'd expect from Lillard based on his prior work, whereas his work in the first two hours was some of the subtlest, best acting in the show. But I also agree that DKL certainly egged him on to get there. My guess is that the exaggerated delivery was DKL's way of attempting to make a very exposition-heavy (and likely Frost-infused) scene interesting. It didn't really work for me, but I can see what he was going for. I don't think that scene, as written, would work for me regardless of the choices made on set.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Ross wrote:I think the biggest plot problem so far is the Annie thing. Hawk gets a message from the Log Lady about Agent Cooper- starting the police on a path to look into his disappearance. This leads him to Laura's diary page about Cooper and the Lodge from Annie. So then the question to them becomes what happened to Cooper in the Lodge? The very first thing anyone would do in that situation would be to talk to the ONLY PERSON THAT WAS ACTUALLY THERE with Cooper. If Annie is dead, or missing- at least say so. If Hawk and company don't know, they would find out. But just not looking into her at all makes the characters seem kind of inept. I can understand if Frost and Lynch didn't want to follow the Annie character. But within the storyline, at least give a reason why this line of evidence is a dead end. And if Annie was murdered, I would think that fact would be, you know, kind of important to the investigation.
Yep, doesn't matter if they love or hate Annie, she was part of the whole ordeal that brought us to what we're seeing now.
We need a reason why Annie is not part of the investigation.
But you know, maybe Hawk and Truman decided to do some online shopping with Andy and Lucy instead. If the hit and run can wait, so can this :lol:
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Ross wrote:I think the biggest plot problem so far is the Annie thing. Hawk gets a message from the Log Lady about Agent Cooper- starting the police on a path to look into his disappearance. This leads him to Laura's diary page about Cooper and the Lodge from Annie. So then the question to them becomes what happened to Cooper in the Lodge? The very first thing anyone would do in that situation would be to talk to the ONLY PERSON THAT WAS ACTUALLY THERE with Cooper. If Annie is dead, or missing- at least say so. If Hawk and company don't know, they would find out. But just not looking into her at all makes the characters seem kind of inept. I can understand if Frost and Lynch didn't want to follow the Annie character. But within the storyline, at least give a reason why this line of evidence is a dead end. And if Annie was murdered, I would think that fact would be, you know, kind of important to the investigation.
I think it's coming, Ross.

When Cooper does regain his faculties, his mind will be in 1990, I think. The crises of that time should be at the forefront of his mind. He'll want answers about Annie & Windom, just like us.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Jonah wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Jonah wrote:
With some of the characters, especially those who have only appeared in one scene, I think we might have already seen as much as we're going to see. I think Shelly will figure into it a little more - but probably not much. Maybe James will too. In fact, he probably will. Not sure how much Audrey will feature. Wasn't Sherilyn Fenn upset with how little screentime she got? Then I think her role was expanded a little.

I know that The Return is Cooper's odyssey back to Twin Peaks, but in the unlikely event this is renewed for another season, it would be great if Season 4 was completely set in the town itself and featured more of these characters in bigger roles. Especially for the actors' sake.
Out of all the characters mentioned I'd be stunned if that was the last we've seen of them. James Marshall said in an interview his role was a lot more important this time and that he was really honored with that. Also if we don't get scenes with Norma and Big Ed and Shelly and Bobby I'd be pretty disappointed.
I think James will figure into it in relation to Laura. Not sure if Shelly will get much more screentime, maybe a few scenes, but maybe she will.

I doubt we'll see much - if any - of Mike Nelson, Betty Briggs, etc. again.

I think it all depends how quickly Dougie/Coop gets back to Twin Peaks.

I was hoping for a surprise Josie/Catherine/Harry cameos - but I think this is growing increasingly unlikely.

My biggest disappointment in The Return so far is how little these characters (actors) are being used, but let's see if they'll feature more. But we're a good bit of the way through now, so it's hard to guage, and even harder to imagine a lot of them will figure into it much more.

Does anyone remember what went down with Fenn? Wasn't there something about her role being increased a little when she dropped out initially or am I misremembering that?
Are we allowed to comment based on knowledge of set photos? Because if so, I think there is at least two more scenes that Shelly figures into pretty prominently. And one with Big Ed and Nadine interacting. I also heard that James Marshall has a prominent role, but so far I'd say that's pretty off-base.
dontlooknow

Post by dontlooknow »

Ross wrote:I think the biggest plot problem ...
i agree but still hope we are not supposed to know that for some entertaining reason.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Now that you mention it, I would have guessed that the FBI at the very least would have been questioning Annie back when EvilCoop disappeared. Who knows, maybe they did talk to her?

Annie's probably long gone from the town, and so far the TP Sheriff's Department have focused on local leads. The two separate investigations have not crossed lines yet.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Aerozhul wrote:heard that James Marshall has a prominent role, but so far I'd say that's pretty off-base.
I think what was said was that James has an "important" role, not a prominent one. So there will something with him that connects to the main story in an important way,
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:We need a reason why Annie is not part of the investigation.
This 100% As it stands, it really doesn't make sense.