Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by HagbardCeline »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:I think some of you are missing the point of what I've said. I never said it was shameful for Bobby to get emotional or that he should be stiff as a board during both scenes, only that I think his crying in the case files scene was a little bit over the top, again, IMO.
I didn't think it was any more over the top than just about anything in Season 1. They even started playing the music in that scene. It was probably the most Original-TP-esque scene in The Return. It was very similar to his sudden crying in the Jacoby scene when he was a kid.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

HagbardCeline wrote: I didn't think it was any more over the top than just about anything in Season 1. They even started playing the music in that scene. It was probably the most Original-TP-esque scene in The Return. It was very similar to his sudden crying in the Jacoby scene when he was a kid.
Yeah, but seasons 1 and 2 (especially 1) are a soap opera. The tone now is completely different, that's why I think it doesn't fit.
It was definitely a nod to the old seasons (and that's why I think it worked for so many people and they're fiercely defending it so much lol) but it didn't work for me.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

All you people knocking on the core original characters are really frustrating.

There's nothing like the original show in pretty much any character thus far with the exemptions of maybe Norma so I don't know why people have a hard time believing Andy, Lucy and Bobby would be acting differently... I'd take an Andy Lucy chair discussion scene over five minutes of DougieCoop walking down a hallway ala episodes 3-5 or bad acting from some of the other new cast members...

The only major differences with Andy and Lucy is there's no jazzy music in the background of their comedic scenes to give it some balance. Other than that they're just as foolish acting and funny as they were before. It just probably seems drier to some because the lack of music in the background.

As far as Bobby I have no issues with his emotional acting. It's definitely a 180 from the character I loved in the original but as I mentioned before pretty much every character is different. Look at Ben and Jerry for instance... Hopefully they give some more background into Bobby and Shelly and maybe we'll figure out why he's so emotional. Getting dumped by the love of your life have anything to do with it and losing your father too? Wouldn't shock me...
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Surprised so many people are taking a Ben/Beverly affair as a given thing (or assuming the only reason it won't happen is that he's now "good"). Judd is in her late 40s while RIchard Beymer is pushing 80! Sure, he's still charming as hell, but if this storyline goes that direction, that is some classic Hollywood-male wish-fulfillment.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

The Gazebo wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
3) The Dear Meadow Shuffle being introduced for the Three Stooges and Ike the Spike, but not until well past all of their introductions. Only a wild guess on this one. The music is unrelated to the characters, but instead tied to the movement of the plot. But in what way? This one is killing me. You don’t just drop that iconic TP music into the picture at long last, after intentionally holding back for so long, for no particular reason, right?
That one took me by surprise as well. I'm leaning towards an inside joke from Lynch: The contrast of the Deer Meadow and Las Vegas police (although both of them with one giggling member).
Same here. Loved it.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Surprised so many people are taking a Ben/Beverly affair as a given thing (or assuming the only reason it won't happen is that he's now "good"). Judd is in her late 40s while RIchard Beymer is pushing 80! Sure, he's still charming as hell, but if this storyline goes that direction, that is some classic Hollywood-male wish-fulfillment.

:roll:
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Geez, tough crowd. I have to imagine that if I got a message from my dead father, reminding me of sweet childhood memories and essentially telling me from beyond the grave how proud he was of me, I'd get a little verklempft too. No shame in that. In fact, playing that scene any other way would have felt false.
I agree with you there.

What did you think of the Hastings scene though? I will have to watch it again, but that scene did strike me as a bit over the top, but then again, my guess is that is how Lynch wanted it to play.
Agreed on both points. As others have noted, it felt a lot more like what I'd expect from Lillard based on his prior work, whereas his work in the first two hours was some of the subtlest, best acting in the show. But I also agree that DKL certainly egged him on to get there. My guess is that the exaggerated delivery was DKL's way of attempting to make a very exposition-heavy (and likely Frost-infused) scene interesting. It didn't really work for me, but I can see what he was going for. I don't think that scene, as written, would work for me regardless of the choices made on set.
I really liked that performance by Lillard. And the subject matter and the scene as a whole. I think its my favourite scene from part 9. Followed by the scene at the las Vegas police dept. Can't wait to see the results of Dougie's DNA test.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Me too, it was great. This is the episode I've been waiting for in some ways- finally some explanation of what was happening in the first part. He was the clear highlight of the first part for me (his first interview scene is spectacular).

I love the fact that the show is surprising me so much. I really didn't see the "amateur conspiracy theory" thread coming at all.

It feels like it is building to some total Lodge madness, but I can see things still building slowly over the next couple of parts until they all head to the coordinates in "2 days time". Presumably the Vegas loose ends have to be wrapped up somehow.

I'm expecting a step change to happen to DougieCoop if/when BadCoop goes to the coordinates and enters the lodge. Or maybe the one-armed man is trying to wake Cooper up to stop that from happening. Christ I wish we had the next two hours ready to binge!This series is disturbing my sleep.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Did that Hudson Mohawke guy take his name from the Bruce Willis flop "Hudson Hawke"?
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

The text Mr. C sends is lowercase, but the message Diane receives is in all caps. Is that supposed to be anything, or is that normal? I've never seen that happen when texting. I thought maybe Mr. C sent the text to someone else and then they retyped the message to Diane. She seemed pretty desperate to get into that phone like she was waiting for someone to call or send her something.
Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Post by Daliz »

-Best thing in this part - Gordon & Diane smoking. That scene is just great. :)

-Albert and Constance Talbot, very good scene. I've liked Constance from the first scene with her. There's just something about her.

-After these plot developments we're probably done with Lt Knox, which is a shame because I like her a lot. Especially her scenes in ep7 were very good.

-I liked Lucy's spin when she orders the red chair. Otherwise that scene wasn't really that good.

-Armpit scratching. Please, no. :(
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Daliz wrote:I've liked Constance from the first scene with her. There's just something about her.
Me too! And this episode also raised my appreciation of Dave Macklay. Lucky for us, the feds aren't done at Buckhorn PD quite yet, we have that Cole donut scene coming up.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

Penned my thoughts on Part 9 - inc. possible connection between ??????? and Major Briggs and the multidimensional pathos of Will Hastings - here:

http://whatculture.com/tv/10-things-we- ... urn-part-9
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Jackpots wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
I agree with you there.

What did you think of the Hastings scene though? I will have to watch it again, but that scene did strike me as a bit over the top, but then again, my guess is that is how Lynch wanted it to play.
Agreed on both points. As others have noted, it felt a lot more like what I'd expect from Lillard based on his prior work, whereas his work in the first two hours was some of the subtlest, best acting in the show. But I also agree that DKL certainly egged him on to get there. My guess is that the exaggerated delivery was DKL's way of attempting to make a very exposition-heavy (and likely Frost-infused) scene interesting. It didn't really work for me, but I can see what he was going for. I don't think that scene, as written, would work for me regardless of the choices made on set.
I really liked that performance by Lillard. And the subject matter and the scene as a whole. I think its my favourite scene from part 9. Followed by the scene at the las Vegas police dept. Can't wait to see the results of Dougie's DNA test.
i think that Lillard scene was pretty great too, it was classic Lynch balancing comic and horrific aspects.. when he's telling about the Major and the Black Lodge stuff it's pretty scary stuff, then all of a sudden it goes to "I WANNA GO SCUBA DIVING" *breaks down in sobbing tears* hahah
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Lillard/Hastings' sobbing about the simple joys of scuba diving and imbibing mixed drinks on beach, things he's probably never going to get to do now, made me think of Milhouse sobbing, "All I wanted was Carl Yastrzesmki with the big sideburns!" Sometimes, the simple pleasures are all we ask for.