Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by TwinsPeak »

manalicream wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:The text Mr. C sends is lowercase, but the message Diane receives is in all caps. Is that supposed to be anything, or is that normal? I've never seen that happen when texting. I thought maybe Mr. C sent the text to someone else and then they retyped the message to Diane. She seemed pretty desperate to get into that phone like she was waiting for someone to call or send her something.
The punctuation is different too. It's definitely not come from Mr C unless there's a huge continuity error.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Ya it's in CAPS and the comma is missing. My only guess is just an error by production. Which sucks for sleuths like us.

When are we going to see more Sarah Palmer?
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by LateReg »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
HagbardCeline wrote: I didn't think it was any more over the top than just about anything in Season 1. They even started playing the music in that scene. It was probably the most Original-TP-esque scene in The Return. It was very similar to his sudden crying in the Jacoby scene when he was a kid.
Yeah, but seasons 1 and 2 (especially 1) are a soap opera. The tone now is completely different, that's why I think it doesn't fit.
It was definitely a nod to the old seasons (and that's why I think it worked for so many people and they're fiercely defending it so much lol) but it didn't work for me.
I get what you're saying, but I think the reason it does fit is actually because the tone is different. Rather, it doesn't fit, it's supposed to be a jarring moment, a reminder that we are making a return to Twin Peaks, a reminder of the town's buried trauma that will force itself back to the surface, a reminder of Laura Palmer's tragedy, etc. It is jarring, no doubt. But it's also logical for Bobby's character to break down, and allows what appears to me to be a form of foreshadowing: that we will make a return to Twin Peaks in full force, eventually. (That last part obviously remains to be seen, I know.)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Surprised so many people are taking a Ben/Beverly affair as a given thing (or assuming the only reason it won't happen is that he's now "good"). Judd is in her late 40s while RIchard Beymer is pushing 80! Sure, he's still charming as hell, but if this storyline goes that direction, that is some classic Hollywood-male wish-fulfillment.
Lynch himself, though not 80, was much older than his current wife, though. And Ben is a power player, and that is attractive, especially when coupled with his charm. Also, conversely, maybe Judd is actually up to something sneaky.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

madeleineferguson wrote:When Cooper does regain his faculties, his mind will be in 1990, I think. The crises of that time should be at the forefront of his mind. He'll want answers about Annie & Windom, just like us.
Maybe GoodCoop runs into a (random) waitress and they zoom in on the name-tag "Annie" (MD-style).
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

LateReg
plot points continue to converge that also coincides with Cooper's awakening.
Kyle Machlachlan had this to say in an interview in the Hollywood Reporter from about 1 week ago:
''I knew that the audience was excited, just based on social media, for the return of the Cooper that they remembered. I couldn't say anything about that — that there was a process that had to happen before the ship could right itself, let's say...''

A ship righting itself. Nice way of putting it.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

The Gazebo wrote:
Ross wrote:I think the biggest plot problem so far is the Annie thing. Hawk gets a message from the Log Lady about Agent Cooper- starting the police on a path to look into his disappearance. This leads him to Laura's diary page about Cooper and the Lodge from Annie. So then the question to them becomes what happened to Cooper in the Lodge? The very first thing anyone would do in that situation would be to talk to the ONLY PERSON THAT WAS ACTUALLY THERE with Cooper. If Annie is dead, or missing- at least say so. If Hawk and company don't know, they would find out. But just not looking into her at all makes the characters seem kind of inept. I can understand if Frost and Lynch didn't want to follow the Annie character. But within the storyline, at least give a reason why this line of evidence is a dead end. And if Annie was murdered, I would think that fact would be, you know, kind of important to the investigation.
Now that you mention it, I would have guessed that the FBI at the very least would have been questioning Annie back when EvilCoop disappeared. Who knows, maybe they did talk to her?

Annie's probably long gone from the town, and so far the TP Sheriff's Department have focused on local leads. The two separate investigations have not crossed lines yet.
Yes, Annie probably was questioned back then. I don't see Hawk not reaching out to Annie as odd at all. But then again, I'm not a big Annie fan. I have nothing against her, either. So as a neutral viewer in that regard, it just hasn't struck me as odd. It was Laura who had the dream; Annie merely appeared in it. Even though Hawk may have some insight into how the lodges work, he may not perceive Annie as a person to talk to about what happened 25 years ago. Or perhaps she doesn't live around there anymore, so contacting her wouldn't be a top priority for this local police department. Either way, it doesn't seem unnatural to me when the one thing they know for sure is that Cooper did make it back out of the lodge, spent a few more days in town, and then disappeared again. Annie was not by any means the last person to see him, so unless Hawk was thinking purely through lodge/dream logic, he may not think to contact her.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Jasper wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
Thank God.
I admit that I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that Roth wasn't playing Jeffries. For a long time we've been living with the theory that Roth might be taking that role, but Bowie's just too one-of-a-kind for a recast.
Yeah nothing against Roth but the notion of recasting a character whose whole genesis was "let's put David Bowie in this movie!" makes me cringe almost as much as recasting Frank Siilva. Hope they have a creative solution (or that, God willing, Bowie actually did record something though I really, really doubt it).
My money's on fleeting CGI glimpses of him, maybe with a tiny bit of something they managed to shoot, but probably not. Even ten seconds of him onscreen would have the internet ablaze for a week and it'd be a publicity coup. They've set the groundwork for this; Jeffries is probably 'still nowhere'', and is probably some kind of 'AI' zipping around electrical wires so he doesn't really need to be anything but a voice. But if he's as important to the plot as he seems, I don't think a recast is out of the question, either.
Sengon

Post by Sengon »

I am convinced that the chair in the house of Betty Briggs has the same hangings as the chair in ??????? (Giant's) house so there is a strong connection between the Major and the White Lodge.
I attached two screen shots of the chairs.
Attachments
The chair 2.jpg
The chair 2.jpg (94.58 KiB) Viewed 9750 times
The chair 1.png
The chair 1.png (993.6 KiB) Viewed 9750 times
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Surprised so many people are taking a Ben/Beverly affair as a given thing (or assuming the only reason it won't happen is that he's now "good"). Judd is in her late 40s while RIchard Beymer is pushing 80! Sure, he's still charming as hell, but if this storyline goes that direction, that is some classic Hollywood-male wish-fulfillment.
What??? That's political correctness run amok right there. Beymer does not look his age and appears to be in very good shape. How does his age matter?
Wasn't thinking about political correctness, but believability. I know, I know, not TP's priority; but how many 80-year-olds do you know who are picking up women 30 years their junior? It just seems a little silly. But maybe I just don't know enough rich charismatic octogenarians? :wink:
I think Beverly is just looking for an escape from her domestic situation. And given her husband's condition she probably doesn't have sex in a long time, so...
DamnFineCreamedCorn
Roadhouse Member

Post by DamnFineCreamedCorn »

Pinky wrote:
My money's on fleeting CGI glimpses of him, maybe with a tiny bit of something they managed to shoot, but probably not. Even ten seconds of him onscreen would have the internet ablaze for a week and it'd be a publicity coup. They've set the groundwork for this; Jeffries is probably 'still nowhere'', and is probably some kind of 'AI' zipping around electrical wires so he doesn't really need to be anything but a voice. But if he's as important to the plot as he seems, I don't think a recast is out of the question, either.
Hmmm. Maybe just Bowie audio, then? A phone conversation? That would have been much to keep a secret than new Bowie footage, and of course much easier for Bowie to "phone it in."
I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am.
riesje
Roadhouse Member

Post by riesje »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
I hope so. As subplots go it's one of the most engrossing, and I don't know what I'll do if they have to drag it out for another season! ;-)
come on, I love the Lucy scene's. Even if its just for the sweaters! Have a feeling majority of the budget went into designing them.

DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

riesje wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote:
I hope so. As subplots go it's one of the most engrossing, and I don't know what I'll do if they have to drag it out for another season! ;-)
come on, I love the Lucy scene's. Even if its just for the sweaters! Have a feeling majority of the budget went into designing them.

The sweaters and the family portrait. :-)
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Poltergeist27

Post by Poltergeist27 »

I think this episode was a great palate-cleanser after Episode 8, and did the work necessary to start up the narrative engine for the second half. Loved the scenes with Betty and Bobby Briggs in particular.

Incidentally, I posted on another thread that this episode got the highest live ratings since the premiere, so seems like the buzz on Episode 8 and the 2 weeks of anticipation got a lot of people to watch live for Episode 9. It was something like a 100,000 viewer difference.
sugarhigh
Roadhouse Member

Post by sugarhigh »

Sengon wrote:I am convinced that the chair in the house of Betty Briggs has the same hangings as the chair in ??????? (Giant's) house so there is a strong connection between the Major and the White Lodge.
I attached two screen shots of the chairs.
You think these chairs look alike?
A salamander spit donuts.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

I think he means that the fabric used to upholster the two chairs looks similar.