Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BigEd
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by BigEd »

baxter wrote:I seem to have missed the point that Bill's secretary was killed in a car bomb. When did this happen/how did we find out. Have I just forgotten something from an earlier part?
This post appears to be from somebody who only watches each episode like once or twice. If you would join the rest of us and watch each one four plus times, you would know this stuff. You must be one of those people with jobs, responsibility, social lives, etc. :lol:

:D
seacow

Post by seacow »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:
baxter wrote:I seem to have missed the point that Bill's secretary was killed in a car bomb. When did this happen/how did we find out. Have I just forgotten something from an earlier part?
This is the first time it was mentioned.

When Dave Macklay is telling Gordon & co the recap of everything surrounding the discovery of Ruth Davenport's head he says "and Hastings' secretary was killed in a car explosion" (apparently set up by Ray & Darya as mentioned in Part 1) before Albert delivers the now iconic line, "What happens in season 2?"

Therefore it is confirmed that Betty, Hastings' secretary in South Dakota is not our Twin Peaks Betty Briggs and it's just another case of double name use. I've been keeping my own notebook of all characters seen & mentioned and many , even seemingly minor, new characters share names just like BOB/MIKE Bobby/Mike etc. One of these days I may examine it critically but I also think it may be just Lynch's way of saying uniqueness is not inherent and we all are living the same human experience in different shades and hues.

For the record re: Ike calling one 'JT,' there is no character so far seen or referenced with those initials, and it reminded me of Cooper trying to figure out who 'J' was in Laura's diary, going thru my archive wondering if every Jack or John could be JT. In reality it's either someone we haven't seen or someone else's alias.
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

seacow wrote:
NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:

When Dave Macklay is telling Gordon & co the recap of everything surrounding the discovery of Ruth Davenport's head he says "and Hastings' secretary was killed in a car explosion" (apparently set up by Ray & Darya as mentioned in Part 1) before Albert delivers the now iconic line, "What happens in season 2?"

Therefore it is confirmed that Betty, Hastings' secretary in South Dakota is not our Twin Peaks Betty Briggs and it's just another case of double name use. I've been keeping my own notebook of all characters seen & mentioned and many , even seemingly minor, new characters share names just like BOB/MIKE Bobby/Mike etc. One of these days I may examine it critically but I also think it may be just Lynch's way of saying uniqueness is not inherent and we all are living the same human experience in different shades and hues.

For the record re: Ike calling one 'JT,' there is no character so far seen or referenced with those initials, and it reminded me of Cooper trying to figure out who 'J' was in Laura's diary, going thru my archive wondering if every Jack or John could be JT. In reality it's either someone we haven't seen or someone else's alias.
Do you remember when in Part 1 it was mentioned between Ray and Darya about setting up the secretary? I remember Cooper telling Ray he needs the information.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:
seacow wrote:
NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:

Do you remember when in Part 1 it was mentioned between Ray and Darya about setting up the secretary? I remember Cooper telling Ray he needs the information.
It's in the hotel just before Mr C kills Darya.
Darya - 'just making sure I get the job done on the secretary's car'
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Deep Thought wrote:It is heartbreaking to go back and watch Bobby scratch his wrist. Whyyyyyyyyy!!??

It does fit in with his first scene which pretty clearly sets him up as an accomplice to Red. :-(

I'm not kidding this is devastating. Briggs saw only half the picture. So sad.
Or you guys are falling for the obvious red herring of the first scene.

Shortly thereafter, Chad is revealed to be dirty. Not Bobby. I personally don't see Lynch/Frost subverting the word of Briggs/Betty.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

N. Needleman wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:It is heartbreaking to go back and watch Bobby scratch his wrist. Whyyyyyyyyy!!??

It does fit in with his first scene which pretty clearly sets him up as an accomplice to Red. :-(

Shortly thereafter, Chad is revealed to be dirty. Not Bobby. I personally don't see Lynch/Frost subverting the word of Briggs/Betty.
I'd love the fact that he killed Deputy Cliff to be addressed tho. But I doubt it will.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Ross wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:

I'd love the fact that he killed Deputy Cliff to be addressed tho. But I doubt it will.
That's definitely going to come out. I think all this stuff will be the catalyst for Bobby to confess what happened
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

It's obvious: Bobby is finally BOB.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Ross wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:

Self defense, as a minor (maybe), dead witness, no body and past the statute of limitations. I don't think there is anything to see here.
seacow

Post by seacow »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:
I re-watched the scene with Bill Hastings and his wife in prison and he tells her that he had a dream that he was at Ruth's apartment. That wasn't mentioned at all in the interrogation so I wonder if it's an inconsistency?
My take: Either he lied about his experience with the Major & Ruth because he and this Viegel are into some deep black magic stuff OR he really thought it was a dream until he realized Ruth was actually dead and it wasn't just a dream after all. He was so spooked he hadn't talked to her for 3 days (how long Marjorie said it was since she'd seen her I think)? He really seemed surprised when Macklay showed up at his house but his whole knowing about Phyllis' affairs scene made me think he knows more than he leads you to believe. Makes it ever the more confusing, at first many thought that Bill was just possessed by a spirit, but now we know (maybe, he could be unreliable) it wasn't he who killed Ruth.But he was curious himself about the lodges or 'dimensions,' like Windom Earle. This is the soap opera episode of Mark Frost's dreams, and I love it.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

BigEd: :-D Too true, sadly.

Thanks all for the clarification!
mammajamma

Post by mammajamma »

Is anyone else reading the ongoing mystery between Mr. C and Diane as an extension of the power a rapist holds over their victim? I think Diane has been trying to make an honest go of it over the 25 years, but is going to wind up doing something that benefits him.

BTW, I don't think that Mr. C actually has that great of "lucky" intuition as Dale has had, but is capable of comprehending information at a superhuman rate. The "Mr. Strawberry" thing could be related to an unlawful death or some such thing at the prison, and the "And now food is coming" thing he would know due to his hacking (? unless he still has some sort of government database clearance) of all the details of the prison and thus know the feeding schedule.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

mammajamma wrote:Is anyone else reading the ongoing mystery between Mr. C and Diane as an extension of the power a rapist holds over their victim? I think Diane has been trying to make an honest go of it over the 25 years, but is going to wind up doing something that benefits him.

BTW, I don't think that Mr. C actually has that great of "lucky" intuition as Dale has had, but is capable of comprehending information at a superhuman rate. The "Mr. Strawberry" thing could be related to an unlawful death or some such thing at the prison, and the "And now food is coming" thing he would know due to his hacking (? unless he still has some sort of government database clearance) of all the details of the prison and thus know the feeding schedule.
No.

It's a dog.
mammajamma

Post by mammajamma »

BigEd wrote:
mammajamma wrote:Is anyone else reading the ongoing mystery between Mr. C and Diane as an extension of the power a rapist holds over their victim? I think Diane has been trying to make an honest go of it over the 25 years, but is going to wind up doing something that benefits him.

No.

It's a dog.
Why would the warden be so shook up over the death of a dog, even his dog? I guess there's the implication that Mr. C could still have harm done to the warden/people close to him, but it didn't seem to scare the warden enough to keep from pulling a double-cross.

Didn't Mr. C say something about the details of whatever happened at that prison were attached to the other legs? I have to rewatch up to now again.
Burns's Suite

Post by Burns's Suite »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote: Do you remember when in Part 1 it was mentioned between Ray and Darya about setting up the secretary? I remember Cooper telling Ray he needs the information.
Evil Coop doesn't need anything