Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Daliz »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
Daliz wrote:
BigEd wrote:
Dang it!! Just when I thought we were figuring out a Lynch story, we remember other parts that just don't sync. :x
Hehe :)

Like alreadygoneplaces said, we're just assuming Buenos Aires stuff has something to do with Jeffries but maybe it doesn't.
What was the place where Mr. C had that house in the photograph the FBI agents have? I cannot remember.

Thinking maybe all this is set up by Mr. C (the black box, ARGENT etc.). I think Jeffries is only mentioned when:
1) Mr. C call from the motel where he killed Darya. The person on the other end may or may not be Jeffries (I'm thinking not). He is someone who has been with BOB in the past because "he wants to be with BOB again"
2) Ray calling "Phillip" after shooting Mr. C

Maybe Mr. C and Jeffries are plotting something together and Jeffries is doublecrossing Mr. C - I think this theory has come up many times.
And, of course, the conversation that Mr C records, where Ray tells Darya that Jeffries wants them to kill Mr C. A potential ally to Good Coop, but clearly not with Mr C's best interests at heart.
Oh yes, forgot about that one.
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

When Todd first gets the red square message to hire Ike...wouldn't Mr. C have been in Yankton at this moment and unlikely to have sent it? So who else could have sent it?
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Mairzy wrote:When Todd first gets the red square message to hire Ike...wouldn't Mr. C have been in Yankton at this moment and unlikely to have sent it? So who else could have sent it?
Lorraine sent a 2 to the box. If that was a "Not done yet" then the red square could have been an automatic response from the box after a set delay.

Further, when Mr. C made his coded prison phone call, the magic box was destroyed implying he did that.

This all said to me that the magic box in Beunos Aires was not Jeffries, but a piece of Black Lodge tech being used by Mr C to run this op while he was in prison. The phone call was when Mr. C set his blackmail the warden to escape plan up, so he used it to destroy the box not onky because he wouldn't need it much longer (it would have rrsponded to success or failure by then) but also so it couldn't be traced to him or coopted by Jeffries/the mysterious voice on the phone.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Daliz wrote:Like alreadygoneplaces said, we're just assuming Buenos Aires stuff has something to do with Jeffries but maybe it doesn't.
What was the place where Mr. C had that house in the photograph the FBI agents have? I cannot remember.
Rio (Brazil). And Coop and/or "Jeffries" apparently killed an agent in Colombia. Definitely something playing out in South America.
Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Post by Daliz »

Daliz wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote:
Daliz wrote:
Hehe :)

Like alreadygoneplaces said, we're just assuming Buenos Aires stuff has something to do with Jeffries but maybe it doesn't.

Thinking maybe all this is set up by Mr. C (the black box, ARGENT etc.). I think Jeffries is only mentioned when:
1) Mr. C call from the motel where he killed Darya. The person on the other end may or may not be Jeffries (I'm thinking not). He is someone who has been with BOB in the past because "he wants to be with BOB again"
2) Ray calling "Phillip" after shooting Mr. C

Maybe Mr. C and Jeffries are plotting something together and Jeffries is doublecrossing Mr. C - I think this theory has come up many times.
And, of course, the conversation that Mr C records, where Ray tells Darya that Jeffries wants them to kill Mr C. A potential ally to Good Coop, but clearly not with Mr C's best interests at heart.
Oh yes, forgot about that one.
Quoting myself, also: "I've left messages so Phillip knows it's safe"
Ragnell wrote: Lorraine sent a 2 to the box. If that was a "Not done yet" then the red square could have been an automatic response from the box after a set delay.

Further, when Mr. C made his coded prison phone call, the magic box was destroyed implying he did that.

This all said to me that the magic box in Beunos Aires was not Jeffries, but a piece of Black Lodge tech being used by Mr C to run this op while he was in prison. The phone call was when Mr. C set his blackmail the warden to escape plan up, so he used it to destroy the box not onky because he wouldn't need it much longer (it would have rrsponded to success or failure by then) but also so it couldn't be traced to him or coopted by Jeffries/the mysterious voice on the phone.
This makes sense.
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Rio (Brazil). And Coop and/or "Jeffries" apparently killed an agent in Colombia. Definitely something playing out in South America.
Ah yes Rio. Different country but same continent :)
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

With Twin Peaks, I always expect to be confused about the motives and actions of the various Lodge characters. Maybe we mere humans aren't meant to truly understand them. But I am frustrated in the new season that I'm not sure I'm even clearly following all the machinations of the human characters in the "real" world (well, if Evil Cooper counts as human). I don't think Evil Cooper would put a hit on Todd right around the same time he's calling Todd telling him to get a job done (presumably the hit of DougieCoop?)? But maybe he's just putting a secondary plan in potential motion in case Todd fails him again.

The contraption in Buenos Aires seems like a long time ago to me now. I'd almost forgotten about it. When I initially saw it go poof into a little gold ball like Dougie did, I thought maybe the contraption was Jeffries somehow. But Ray has apparently called Jeffries since then (unless he's calling somebody else named Philip). Though Ray appeared only to be leaving a voicemail, not communicating with him directly. Maybe Jeffries has vanished from this plane, and Ray doesn't know it.

I don't know. I'm totally along for the ride, even knowing I probably still won't understand very much of it even by the end.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Lynch and Frost may be quite subversive when it comes to handling audience expectations (for which I applaud them!), but I don't get the sense they'd be subversive about the characters. So I don't think Diane's integrity is going to be badly compromised by whatever the explanation is for her secret texts. And I think Bobby's redemption will remain untarnished. They didn't evoke the great diner scene with the Major and Bobby to subvert it. What we've seen of Bobby so far this season is the first indication from the writing that the speech had an impact on Bobby. They pretty much dropped it throughout the rest of Season 2. I think Lynch and Frost revisiting the old material realized that scene had a much more lasting resonance than they (or whomever was writing season 2) realized at the time.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

that's how I feel as well. For some reason, I think all the original characters are going to be fine by the end of this too - and the only casualties will be the new characters.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It's interesting...while I came into the series hoping for "pure heroin Lynch" and all the unpredictability that entails, I didn't consider too much what that might mean for the characters I know and love. Even Garland's grisly fate and Johnny's potential death make me a little uncomfortable. Thanks to its structure, the series so far has managed to have its cake and eat it too, spending a lot of time in various locales so that we can have darkness and dramatic violence elsewhere while the beloved old characters remain largely in a safe little bubble. I'm not so sure that that can last, though.

I'd be ok with Bobby still dealing on the side, although I doubt that's where the show is going, but the theories about Audrey being raped sit uneasily with me. I think that would be a powerful and uncompromising dramatic choice, but it would be so painful because of our relationship with that character. In a way, maybe that's all the more reason to tell that story, though, if it's done tastefully and effectively.

It's a really strange place to find myself...wanting DKL to swing for the fences and do what is most dramatically effective without catering to any audience expectations or nostalgia...but I also really want the best for these characters.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Everybody is forgetting James. Will he finally have a happy ending?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Another thing "forgotten"... Some people mentioned that Richard Horne could be Johnny's son. This was pooh-poohed pretty fast, mostly based on cast list. But now that we know Johnny is in mix, it makes me go "hmmm."

What if Ben and Sylvia had to raise Richard? Did Ben become "good" over this experience?

And why was there a flash of light when Johnny hit the wall? We only see it by inference, not directly.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

The flash is from smashing through the wall and hitting an electrical wiring.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Audrey Horne wrote:The flash is from smashing through the wall and hitting an electrical wiring.
Perhaps. As good as theory as any. However, DKL chose to not show any electrical wiring. Only the broken glass of the picture frame cover.

I still think the flash is a supernatural prompt to the audience.

Here's the hole in the wall.
hole.JPG
hole.JPG (14.89 KiB) Viewed 8823 times
Ubermensch33
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ubermensch33 »

Haven't read through the entire thread yet, but if the early Hawk/Log Lady scenes are actually set in the future (I know this is not a given, of course), is it possible there is still more Log Lady to come?

I thought it would be such a sweet thing toward the end of the show if Hawk (and maybe Coop) ended up joining her for the pie/coffee she offered him. But then I read someone say she filmed her parts separately, prior to regular production, or whatever you call it, so this would seem to maybe preclude something like that from happening. Thoughts?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ubermensch33 wrote:Haven't read through the entire thread yet, but if the early Hawk/Log Lady scenes are actually set in the future (I know this is not a given, of course), is it possible there is still more Log Lady to come?

I thought it would be such a sweet thing toward the end of the show if Hawk (and maybe Coop) ended up joining her for the pie/coffee she offered him. But then I read someone say she filmed her parts separately, prior to regular production, or whatever you call it, so this would seem to maybe preclude something like that from happening. Thoughts?
While we may see the Log Lady again, it seems doubtful she shot any scenes with other actors, given her ill health. But you never know...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly