Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Soolsma »

It would be a bit contradictory if Hawk went to Glastonbury Grove alone in the future because Frank and Bobby are in on the investigation now and weren't before. Approaching a portal to a place od great evil also doesn't seem too smart but it might suggest perfect courage.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

So Bill had a website about 'The Zone' since 1997, his wife, Phylis, was in someone way an acquaintance of 'Evil Coop'. Was Bill aware of this when he said "I know about George, and maybe somebody else too...". Seems odd that someone so connected to Major Briggs was married to someone connected to BOB. Maybe nothing but just trying piece parts together through a re-watch :D
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Beginning to wonder now if one of the characters has been possesed all this time without us knowing it. Maybe Hawk is, by a white lodge spirit.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Soolsma wrote:Beginning to wonder now if one of the characters has been possesed all this time without us knowing it. Maybe Hawk is, by a white lodge spirit.
Diane could be possessed by the Experiment/Mother.

I'm thinking the eggs the Mother spewed out were full of her essence. The Frog Moth that crawls in the girl's mouth is the Mother.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Interesting to read people's interpretation of the doppelganger's text to DIane. I definitely didn't read that they were secretly communicating, I thought the doppelgänger was just being intimidating and messing with Diane, boasting his apparent omnipotence. "Around the dinner table conversation is lively" - the way I saw it the 'meal' in this case was the Briggs conundrum, and the 'dinner table' the autopsy table. Conversation was indeed lively.

Of course, she was on her phone when she received the text, which it leaves it ambiguous, but that's still the way I saw that part.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:Interesting to read people's interpretation of the doppelganger's text to DIane. I definitely didn't read that they were secretly communicating, I thought the doppelgänger was just being intimidating and messing with Diane, boasting his apparent omnipotence. "Around the dinner table conversation is lively" - the way I saw it the 'meal' in this case was the Briggs conundrum, and the 'dinner table' the autopsy table. Conversation was indeed lively.

Of course, she was on her phone when she received the text, which it leaves it ambiguous, but that's still the way I saw that part.
She seemed to be waiting for, and expecting a text. First on the plane, and then perhaps opting out of looking at the body so she could be alone to check her messages.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ubermensch33
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ubermensch33 »

Soolsma wrote:It would be a bit contradictory if Hawk went to Glastonbury Grove alone in the future because Frank and Bobby are in on the investigation now and weren't before. Approaching a portal to a place od great evil also doesn't seem too smart but it might suggest perfect courage.
That's true, didn't think of that.

Now I'm also remembering that when she told Hawk "something's missing" and he would find it via his heritage, she must have been referring to the pages of the diary. I would have to go back and re-watch, are there things related to the finding of the diary pages that contradict Hawk finding these in the "future?"

Another that makes me question all the timelines is Andy's watch when he's supposed to meet up with that guy who doesn't show. It has the date as the 10th, which is either something Lynch missed, or the kid getting run over by Dick Horne happened well after the recent episode's Hawk/Bobby/Truman meeting, where they say 10/1 and 10/2 are in two days. Part of me think Coop will come back to TP and investigate this case, and what the giant told him at the beginning of E01 were clues to solving it. I'm completely guessing, though, at this point.
Last edited by Ubermensch33 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

Ross wrote:
alreadygoneplaces wrote:Interesting to read people's interpretation of the doppelganger's text to DIane. I definitely didn't read that they were secretly communicating, I thought the doppelgänger was just being intimidating and messing with Diane, boasting his apparent omnipotence. "Around the dinner table conversation is lively" - the way I saw it the 'meal' in this case was the Briggs conundrum, and the 'dinner table' the autopsy table. Conversation was indeed lively.

She seemed to be waiting for, and expecting a text. First on the plane, and then perhaps opting out of looking at the body so she could be alone to check her messages.
Also, the way she acted right after Gordon and the others leave the room. It looked like she was checking if they were gone before reading the message. It doesn't mean she's in cahoot with DoppelCoop though, the text may be relayed to her by someone.
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Framed_Angel wrote:A few observations:

- The scene with Lucy and Andy, getting up to go address each other directly rather than IM'ing or even calling across to the person in the same room like we commonly do -- seemed to me it could be a farce depicting what it would look like if we spoke directly in person the same way (or instead of, rather) as we do so often communicating, eh, electronically? [i.e. sans electricity]

- I liked how Gordon announces "a waiting room!" and then some scenes later (or earlier?) there's Dougie and Janey-E, effectively passing time waiting while in for all practical purposes, a waiting area.

- Whoever earlier posted the image of Chantal wearing a shirt with a "1" on it and compared with the "1-1-9!" druggie chick's little boy having the same "1" on his shirt, that had totally escaped my notice. That sort of blew my mind for a bit there.

- I am baffled as well by whoever "J.T." could be whom Ike was addressing. I wondered if someone like James Hurley could be known to some as when a middle initial "T" would become a nickname - - James's companion at the roadhouse early on, was wearing a cast on the same arm as Ike, someone already pointed out.
I'm still holding out hope JUDY's identity will be revealed so I'm not ruling her out, either.

I thought the waiting room thing was a nod to the red room in the first series...this is the waiting room...the LMFAP says it...right?
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

Framed_Angel wrote:
NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:Yet nowhere does Hastings indicate the secretary was in on the whole pursuit of the alternate dimension as he & Ruth were. He mainly spoke of Ruth, and it was revealed in part 9 how the two of them built the website and had this partnership on a shared mission. So with a whole blog operating to that end, with viewers and a donation page etc -- how come Hastings felt he could conceal in the first interrogation that he even knew Ruth? He was like "Uh.. her name's familiar!" Wouldn't he suppose sooner or later that a relationship with someone involved together on a website would be figured out? It adds to my confusion, definitely.
It kind of seems like the conspiracy website thing was edited into his story at a later time.
The part about his secretary's car exploding too. Like, it didn't become part of the story until the explosion of Dougie's car happened.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I loved hearing Deer Meadow Shuffle again leading into Bushnell making a fist whilst keeping one hand in his pocket ala Lill. Local belligerent (and giggling) cops indeed.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ubermensch33 wrote:Haven't read through the entire thread yet, but if the early Hawk/Log Lady scenes are actually set in the future (I know this is not a given, of course), is it possible there is still more Log Lady to come?
I'd like to think maybe there are a couple other phonecall scenes to come, if we're very lucky and she was able. The upcoming episode lines I could totally hear coming from Margaret - "Laura is the One" is something she once said in a Log Lady intro right? To the pilot? And "There's Fire Where You Are Going" is the other... I hope we'll see more of her.
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

I haven't read TSHOTP in a while...but I just watched the trailer again...and the package is sent on Aug 3rd 2016 to Tammy....and in the book Cole mentions that the dossier was found at a crime scene on July 17 2016... and TPTR is set in 2014 I believe...right? Even if it is set in 2016, it is currently Sept 29th according to Hastings signature on the picture where he identified Major Briggs...so does that mean that Tammy has already investigated the dossier? It just happened off screen? OR are we going to get a time jump during the 2nd half of TPTR? :?:
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Beginning to wonder now if one of the characters has been possesed all this time without us knowing it. Maybe Hawk is, by a white lodge spirit.
Diane could be possessed by the Experiment/Mother.

I'm thinking the eggs the Mother spewed out were full of her essence. The Frog Moth that crawls in the girl's mouth is the Mother.

I am suspicious that just about all of Mr. C's circle are lodge denizens or under the influence of lodge spirits. I'm talking about Buella and Co. Hutch, Ray, Daria et all