Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Daliz »

I feared that the Ike arrest scene would end up Ike escaping and leaving some bodies behind but I'm glad that didn't happen.

And I never want to see him again.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

On the second viewing, I noticed one small thing: before entering the morgue (and leaving Diane to smoke while the rest proceed to see the apparent Briggs body), Cole exclaims "this is the waiting room"! The parallel to ep. 29 is uncanny, Cooper, Earle and Annie had originally therefore entered into a morgue of sorts, a world of dead, an underworld. The only thing Cole did not follow up with was "some of your friends are here", which is true in a way because it is the presumed Briggs body that is there. A very curious parallel. And it would be interesting to analyze the furniture layout in this new scene too, to see if it somehow compares to the original waiting room.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I noticed that too and didn't think much of it, but you are convincing me otherwise. It was indeed said in a very deliberate manner.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

After the first half of the season it is becoming clear that the first seen was indeed a flashforward. I guess bad coop will surely finds the coordinates for the white lodge. Where major briggs heas ascended. Don't you think?
Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Post by Daliz »

boske wrote:On the second viewing, I noticed one small thing: before entering the morgue (and leaving Diane to smoke while the rest proceed to see the apparent Briggs body), Cole exclaims "this is the waiting room"! The parallel to ep. 29 is uncanny, Cooper, Earle and Annie had originally therefore entered into a morgue of sorts, a world of dead, an underworld. The only thing Cole did not follow up with was "some of your friends are here", which is true in a way because it is the presumed Briggs body that is there. A very curious parallel. And it would be interesting to analyze the furniture layout in this new scene too, to see if it somehow compares to the original waiting room.
Yes I noticed this too. Just remembered when you mentioned it.
Felt like a really strange thing to say. It might be some reference to the red waiting room but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Strange, that's how I like my Twin Peaks :D
manalicream
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by manalicream »

Hester Prynne wrote:The text Mr. C sends is lowercase, but the message Diane receives is in all caps. Is that supposed to be anything, or is that normal? I've never seen that happen when texting. I thought maybe Mr. C sent the text to someone else and then they retyped the message to Diane. She seemed pretty desperate to get into that phone like she was waiting for someone to call or send her something.
The punctuation is different too. It's definitely not come from Mr C unless there's a huge continuity error.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Surprised so many people are taking a Ben/Beverly affair as a given thing (or assuming the only reason it won't happen is that he's now "good"). Judd is in her late 40s while RIchard Beymer is pushing 80! Sure, he's still charming as hell, but if this storyline goes that direction, that is some classic Hollywood-male wish-fulfillment.
What??? That's political correctness run amok right there. Beymer does not look his age and appears to be in very good shape. How does his age matter?
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Hockey Mask wrote:I don't think Johnny is dead since he was noticeably breathing as he lay there but the beer can was noticeably empty too so what do I know.
Maybe the can was empty in the fiction too? That 'trying-to-make-a-drink-last-all-night' thing when you haven't got the money but are trying to justify still sitting in a bar.

(Man, that sounds so much worse a reflection on me that it was supposed to)
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

wxray wrote:
bastia wrote: Also.. Anyone did think about Jerry's foot ? It struck me as familiar.. Idk.. Like Mike's arm.
The thing that struck me was the voice sounded like a normal forward version of the Evolved Arm voice which is backwards. Jerry may just take that foot off yet! He'll need a wheel chair then.
"Fire, limp with me."

To be fair, it makes more sense for the phrase 'Fire, walk with me' to be associated with a foot.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Geez, tough crowd. I have to imagine that if I got a message from my dead father, reminding me of sweet childhood memories and essentially telling me from beyond the grave how proud he was of me, I'd get a little verklempft too. No shame in that. In fact, playing that scene any other way would have felt false.
That scene yes, case files scene a little too much.
And I think ep 9 scene would've worked better without ep 4 scene too.
The case files scene did make me think of Leland Palmer in his emotional moments, but that may also have been an effect of seeing him with white hair for the first time.

That did make me worry that he might've ended up as a new host for BOB at the time, but as The Return progresses, I think it's just Bobby. I really like the fact that he's got that boyish enthusiasm in this latest episode.

(of course, after Bobby and Mike being confused with BOB and MIKE right at the beginning of Season 1 it would be an interesting turn of events if Bobby did end up as a host for BOB - I mean I hope he continues to be important to the plot for OTHER reasons, but there'd be a certain twisted sense to BOB inhabiting Bobby)
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

The Gazebo wrote:
Ross wrote:I think the biggest plot problem so far is the Annie thing. Hawk gets a message from the Log Lady about Agent Cooper- starting the police on a path to look into his disappearance. This leads him to Laura's diary page about Cooper and the Lodge from Annie. So then the question to them becomes what happened to Cooper in the Lodge? The very first thing anyone would do in that situation would be to talk to the ONLY PERSON THAT WAS ACTUALLY THERE with Cooper. If Annie is dead, or missing- at least say so. If Hawk and company don't know, they would find out. But just not looking into her at all makes the characters seem kind of inept. I can understand if Frost and Lynch didn't want to follow the Annie character. But within the storyline, at least give a reason why this line of evidence is a dead end. And if Annie was murdered, I would think that fact would be, you know, kind of important to the investigation.
Now that you mention it, I would have guessed that the FBI at the very least would have been questioning Annie back when EvilCoop disappeared. Who knows, maybe they did talk to her?

Annie's probably long gone from the town, and so far the TP Sheriff's Department have focused on local leads. The two separate investigations have not crossed lines yet.
True. They might've reached out to the FBI if they were more familiar with the Blue Rose cases, but as it is their man 'on the inside', who might have reason to believe in weird claims about a mystical Lodge, is unfortunately also the subject of their concern. I imagine they'll want to find out what they can on a local level before they approach the FBI with the vague claim that "the Good Dale is in the Lodge".

But it would've been nice to have some confirmation. It's not like they've been pushed for time. Who knows - as this rate maybe they just haven't got around to discussing it yet?
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Ross wrote:
Aerozhul wrote:heard that James Marshall has a prominent role, but so far I'd say that's pretty off-base.
I think what was said was that James has an "important" role, not a prominent one. So there will something with him that connects to the main story in an important way,
I wonder if the Twin Peaks sheriff department are just finding it hard to confirm that the details in Laura's diary actually mean anything concrete. Perhaps once they do - after they visit Jack Rabbit's Palace? - they'll call in the rest of the Bookhouse Boys.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Soolsma wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote: When Cooper does regain his faculties, his mind will be in 1990, I think. The crises of that time should be at the forefront of his mind. He'll want answers about Annie & Windom, just like us.
I think one of the most worrying things on his mind will be his Doppelganger wandering the world causing mayhem. Imagine someone who is almost indistinguishably like you doing all sorts of evil stuff. It really makes me wonder how goodCoop is ever going to convince everyone it wasn't him (after he's had to convince a bunch of people he is not Dougie Jones).

Weird thought I thought I'd note just in case I'm right: could Janey-E be a manufactured form of Annie?
The fingerprints will likely convince the FBI.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Geez, tough crowd. I have to imagine that if I got a message from my dead father, reminding me of sweet childhood memories and essentially telling me from beyond the grave how proud he was of me, I'd get a little verklempft too. No shame in that. In fact, playing that scene any other way would have felt false.
That scene yes, case files scene a little too much.
And I think ep 9 scene would've worked better without ep 4 scene too.
Not really.
You have to consider one very important thing. Bobby is the only one, and I mean the only one, that was dragged down by Laura's darkness.
Leo? Jerk by trade. James? He never followed her lead. Donna? She doesn't even know what she's doing. Ben? Another jerk by trade. Jacoby? A psych voyeur.
Bobby was the only one that followed her. He was just a naive teen, in the football team. She made him a rug, a tool to be used. And dragged him down, up to the point that not only he sold drugs, but he killed a man.
He killed for her.
Yet, Major Briggs told us - and repeated in S3E9 through his wife - that Bobby is a positive figure, a right man that was freed only by the traumatic event of Laura's death.
That's why he's so important this season.

Yes, Laura represents his voyage into darkness, so forgive him if he suffers from some PTSD.
That's a really nice take on things. I always remember that Bobby's introduction to the show is pretty much as a 'bad boy', and the whole thing with Shelly and Leo doesn't particularly make him a shining example of a good guy, but his father's faith in him, and the backstory apparent in FWWM and the secret diary, makes it clear that it's more a case of a kid who's stumbled in way too deep.

I've really enjoyed Booby this season. He might be acting more like an excitable scout than a professional officer of the law, but I think that makes it easier for me to (re)connect with him.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Deep Thought wrote:
Esselgee wrote:So Lucy can't deal with cell phones, but has not problem ordering furniture off of that internet?
It has been established that her issue is with cell phones and the mobility that comes with them. "Static" internet sites are not a problem for her. Judging by how this latest episode is clarifying things, I have a feeling this aspect of her behaviour will be wrapped up pretty neatly by the end of the season.
I hope so. As subplots go it's one of the most engrossing, and I don't know what I'll do if they have to drag it out for another season! ;-)