Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:Anyway, regarding the Twin Peaks cops in this episode:

- IIRC, the "dossier" from Frost's book was specified as being found at the Bookhouse, but did anyone else wonder if Betty was going to pull out some clue to where to find it, or a key to where it's locked away, or something like that? (Though maybe this expedition in a couple days will lead them to it anyway.)
No, the only indication we have is that the dossier was found at a crime scene. Certain documents contained within the dossier originate from the Bookhouse (Coop's and Hawk's sections), but that's not necessarily where the dossier itself was found.
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

So there's clearly two timelines that evilCoop and others are jumping back and forth between ~2004 and 2015 (11 years apart; the bomb must have opened a gate between the two hence 1945 and 56)
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

yaxomoxay wrote:Most disturbing thing in episode 9 is that the girl's beer can is obviously empty and she keeps drinking from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought the same
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

dropkick23 wrote:So there's clearly two timelines that evilCoop and others are jumping back and forth between ~2004 and 2015 (11 years apart; the bomb must have opened a gate between the two hence 1945 and 56)
where do you get 2004 from?
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

Far too Moffat a concept for this season.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Audrey Horne wrote:I suggested maybe Cooper will wake up, but remain as Dougie and not letting anyone know until he gets a handle on everything... But never the idea he might stay as him... And in Twin Peaks.
But why and how?
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Esselgee wrote:Was that Johnny and Sylvia Horne?

Who would have thought that Jerry Horne would have had a bigger part in this than Audrey...so far, at least.
I think Audrey ended up having a smaller part than planned because of whatever caused Sherilyn to delay signing on until very late.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Esselgee wrote:Eric Rondell as Johnny Horne. He seems to be a stunt man and not an actor. His head injury is similar to Ben's from Doc Hayward. Hopefully, Johnny survives. Was that supposed to be inside the Great Northern?
Our first recast (Johnny #3). And poor Sylvia!! She pops up and doesn't even show her face! And no, I don't think that was supposed to be the GH. So either they no longer live at the Hotel, or maybe Johnny is in a facility?

Also, who is the "Harry" mentioned in this scene!?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

garethw wrote:
Pinky wrote:MacLachlan outdid himself here, that stare was something else. I was transfixed. Poor Coop.
I'm racking my brain of Twin Peaks trivia and trying to figure out the significance of the red shoes he fixates on. All I can come up with was Lill, but that doesn't seem to fit.

Anyone got anything else?
Audrey.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:You're probably right. It's not like Lynch is in love with the Pilot and FWWM or anything. The red shoes are clearly Diane, and the red drapes.

I'll just bask in that small moment (it's been nine hours.... And twenty six years.... I have to take my crumbs where I can.)
I agree with you- it's way too iconic for it not to be Audrey. I instantly thought of it when the scene came on. Even her outfit.
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

frompureair wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:I love Bill's site it's so charming in a 90s way! http://thesearchforthezone.com/
Does the "click here to read older journal entries" link do anything besides display static and play the TP theme music?
There is clearly something else hidden over the static it's a voice but I can't make out. Someone needs to run it through audio software. Very nice find! Can't wait to decipher this one!
on this page that someone posted:
http://thesearchforthezone.com/guestboo ... ntries.txt

there seem to be lots of little clues. here's one:
"The Engineer,,,2017-07-09 23:08:43,::ffff:122.59.219.119,"running hi and lo pass filters over the electrical interference reveals...something"
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

it's early morning here, and just thought i'd write down some of my impressions before heading to work.. it's such a beautiful feeling going up a couple of hours earlier on Monday, brew two cups of coffee and lay back in bed to watch the weeks episode on my 40" TV.

i started by watching the first 15 minutes of episode 8, right up until that point where Cooper sits up and open his eyes and then it fades to black. Pause and right into the next episode.

After last weeks all out mindfuck this was back to basics again, and between this and Episode 7 there's a lot of exposition and things moving fairly quickly at the same time as both episodes really feel 100% like Twin Peaks.

it's also great to see that all the loose ends are being connected.. i bet a big reason quite a lot of people thought the series was a mess was because there were so many plotlines that was introudced but then was barely touched on. it is now becoming obvious that Lynch and Frost is producing an epic tale, almost like a big novel in cinematic form, where everything will connect sooner or later. and ep. 7 and ep. 9 really does a great job of doing that. Now a majority of the plotlines and hcaracters are on the same page. South Dakota, Ruth Davenport, the FBI team, the Air Force people and at the same time the local Twin Peaks police is trying to learn more about Major Briggs and his relationship to Cooper. It was great to see Betty Briggs again, especially in a scene with Bobby. I got to say that [the new] Sheriff Truman, Bobby Briggs and Hawk out on police business really brought back some good ol' memories.

the revelation about Davenports and Hasting's work on interdimensional zones was very intriguing, and they met Briggs there and got the coordinates right from him. So now Hastings and Davenport is directly connected to Doppelcoop. And how great that they actually made that site, i'ma have to check it out mroe throughly later! I still don't get why Bad Cooop shot Phyllis.

Some people had a theory that the South Dakota, Buckhorn part was taking place in a different time than the rest of the show, but we can cross that off the list now. Everything we see seems to happen more or less simultaneously.

another very interesting part was the revelation about Dougie Jones, we know now he was "manufactured" in
1997. i can't wait to learn more about Dougie and how he was created, and if he's created/manufacted is Janey-E and Sonny Jim "artificial" as well?? Major Briggs knew something about this as he swallowed their wedding ring to be foud and followed up on by the military, police and FBI.

last but not least, the music.. i love how much music there was here, both old classics from FWWM and Twin Peaks and new Badalamenti. my only complaint about the Roadhouse scene as far as music goes, at first Hudson Mohawke was performing which was cool as many of the acts have sounded fairly similiar. but shortly after they switch him for three girls that might even have been in an earlier episode, really not my type of music - it would have been much cooler to have Hudson Mohawke do the entire closing even if it's just a guy behind a sampler and a computer. but oh well... damn, this hour went by fast!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:Fantastic episode! What a difference that the music makes. Hopefully we see more older tracks mixed with new stuff.
Loved hearing a few old tracks pop up!!
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

"Two Coopers" -Hawk
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

dropkick23 wrote:So there's clearly two timelines that evilCoop and others are jumping back and forth between ~2004 and 2015 (11 years apart; the bomb must have opened a gate between the two hence 1945 and 56)
Not clear at all.