Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie

User avatar
blue_tomorrows
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby blue_tomorrows » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Wow, so this was the extra-special "extreme violence against women" episode? Maybe I was just in the wrong mood, but I have to confess that I had a pretty strong gag reflex to almost everything this week. This is the first time I've felt like walking away and not looking back. :(
User avatar
JohnPalSki
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:51 pm
Location: Buffalo, New York

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby JohnPalSki » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 pm

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
BGate wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:

Has there been a "Linda" mentioned aside from the guy who was talking to Carl when they catch a ride into town?


Wow I didn't catch that.
I want to say that THAT Linda will never be mentioned again, but I guess it will make some sense eventually (now THATS reaching).

Re: my Black Lodge/Mexico comment from earlier...
I must have misunderstood/drawn nonexistent connections that when someone mentioned an entrance to the Lodge in Mexico, they meant that it was explicitly stated earlier (In the series or TSHOTP).
I caught the part about the Mexico ping. I guess that either:
1: Albert is crooked and sharing intentional disinformation (doubtful)
Or
2: That "Philip Jeffries" is somehow involved and is in Mexico.
I will also add that the man that says goodbye to Diane in her apartment as the FBI shows up is probably part of this situation.
(Damn I love this messageboard. I've clearly found my tribe)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Pal
---------------------
"Don't expect a turkey dog here."
User avatar
Audrey Horne
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The Great Northern

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby Audrey Horne » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Narratively, why on earth would writers Lynch and Frost have Doc Hayward mention Cooper visit Audrey when the Sheriff character is trying to get to the bottom of things? Why not just say, "after Cooper was checked up, I saw that same look again?"

And in knowing the structure of their show, Frost then writes his book and releases part one where Audrey is still in a coma. Unless the coma plays into it, there's no reason to say she was banged up instead but fine instead. And if this is just rambling from an Audrey fan, well it's pretty significant to the story... Since the Giant did say listen to the sounds, 430 and Richard and Linda, etc. Richard has to be explored and discussed if we're looking at the big picture.

And yes, Diane is perplexing now, and things posters speculated and I poo pood last week leads to my head spinning. Including Cole commenting on her hug. Her interrogation room scene needs a new rewatch!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
User avatar
twin-b
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:28 pm

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby twin-b » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm choosing to believe that Diane is not really dirty. I think this is a red herring.

There was speculation about the text message being upper and lowercase when DoppelCoop sent it and then all-caps when Diane received it, right? Like maybe it went through an intermediary. I also think this is the Mexico thing. I think Coop is in South Dakota but he texted someone in Mexico and then that person texted Diane. She doesn't know it's DoppelCoop. (I hope.)
User avatar
garethw
RR Diner Member
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Deep River

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby garethw » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:55 pm

So can we talk about Johnny's teddy bear?

That thing was creepy AF.
User avatar
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:26 pm

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby FlyingSquirrel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:55 pm

trismegistus wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:A bit disappointed in some of the characters tonight:

  • Diane for being duplicitous. I guess we don't know anything about her background, but what would be her motivation for working with DoppelCooper? The interrogation room scene was one of the most effectively disturbing of the new series - are we now supposed to assume that it was an act? Or did he somehow hypnotize her with that text message being the activation phrase?
  • Janey for getting sidetracked from Dougie's obviously barely-there behavior after seeing him with his shirt off, and this when she presumably knows that he's recently been cheating on her.
  • Carl Rodd for not doing anything when he hears Becky fighting with her husband.
  • Ben for going back to his philandering ways after an argument with Sylvia (he does know that Beverly is married, after all).


All of these examples seem like normal human behavior to me.


I'm not saying the behavior isn't understandable in some ways or that it makes it a bad episode, just that, as others pointed out, evil seemed to be racking up all the wins in this episode and even some of the secondary characters were largely failing to apply whatever intelligence or ethics they might possess.

Regarding Diane, I don't think most normal people would want anything to do with somebody like DoppelCooper, much less cover for him over the space of 25 years. Unless she was corrupt even before the events of the original series, e.g. selling FBI information to criminals or something, I don't see what she's getting out of this.

Janey's reaction makes her seem like she just isn't very bright or doesn't have much self-respect and simply dismisses all the weirdness and (apparent) deception of the past week or so when Dougie has a couple of superficially "alpha male" moments. But what we saw of her until now doesn't really seem consistent with that interpretation of her character.

Carl did seem kind of apathetic and self-centered in FWWM, so in that sense his behavior in this episode isn't a total surprise. Though he did seem to care about the little boy getting run over and want to comfort the mother, so I would have thought he might do something about Becky's situation. (I guess it's possible he's already tried and the cops didn't do anything due to lack of evidence, or Becky covered for her husband, or something like that.)

As for Ben, I guess I just hoped he'd turned over a new leaf after he turned Beverly down last time we saw her.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby bosguy1981 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:56 pm

I'm not totally sure I'm following the Diane texting piece but what about this... is it possible she doesn't realize it's Cooper that's sending the messages? Maybe this is a code phrase she has with somebody else who she's been confiding in, and unbeknownst to Diane, Cooper has killed that person and is imitating the person when contacting Diane? Possible or did I miss greater confirmation that Diane knows who she's talking to?

If it's another person, who would Diane be confiding in behind Cole's back and sharing this information? My vote would be... Judy.
User avatar
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:42 pm

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby The Brown Lodge » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
Esselgee wrote:Maybe someone with access to Johnny had sex with him so she could get her hands on the Hornes' money.

The guy in the New York picture with Evil Cooper is a bald man with glasses wearing a trench coat. Can anyone identify him?


Looks like we have a mad scientist in Twin Peaks finally!



Maybe its Philip Jeffries, after 25 years of aging.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:44 am

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby Esselgee » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Did Kyle MacLachlan hit the gym or something before filming this? Or did they spent a chunk of Showtime's money to give Cooper CGI abs? I don't remember Cooper looking like that in his shirtless scenes 25 years ago.
Last edited by Esselgee on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
JohnPalSki
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:51 pm
Location: Buffalo, New York

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby JohnPalSki » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:56 pm

garethw wrote:
h2nho wrote:
wxray wrote:
Tammy, Albert and Gordon were talking about cell pings, and included verbiage about pings from Philly and Mexico. It was too fast. I'm going to have to rewatch it.

The cell phone that sent Diane the message about the conversation being lively pinged on a cell tower from Mexico. We saw DoppleCoop send that message. Therefore, Coop might be in Mexico at the Farm with Jennifer Jason Leigh and Tim Roth...?


Albert actually said "server" not "cell tower", didn't he?


Totally! He definitely said server. Hmmm... that might lend credence to "Jeffries"(or whoever that is) being involved.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Pal
---------------------
"Don't expect a turkey dog here."
User avatar
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:42 pm

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby The Brown Lodge » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:57 pm

trismegistus wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:
BGate wrote:
There was literally a scene in part 7 where the sole purpose (plotwise) was to introduce the fact that Evil Coop was seen leaving the ICU where Audrey was. they even have a character say, "I thought he was probably visiting Audrey Horne." And we know Richard (and Linda) are important somehow in the grand scheme, which means they probably have something to do with Coop.

So, no, it's not remotely a stretch. I'd say it's highly likely at this point.


A retired doctor speculating about someone's reason for being in a hospital means it's highly likely he was there to rape Audrey? I don't buy it at all.


I bet Leland killing Jacques in the hospital just really grinds your gears then


I don't see any correalation. Sorry.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:44 am

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby Esselgee » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:57 pm

The Brown Lodge wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:
Esselgee wrote:Maybe someone with access to Johnny had sex with him so she could get her hands on the Hornes' money.

The guy in the New York picture with Evil Cooper is a bald man with glasses wearing a trench coat. Can anyone identify him?


Looks like we have a mad scientist in Twin Peaks finally!



Maybe its Philip Jeffries, after 25 years of aging.


It could be Sam Stanley! He wore glasses and had a similar trench coat.
User avatar
David Locke
RR Diner Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby David Locke » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:58 pm

blue_tomorrows wrote:Wow, so this was the extra-special "extreme violence against women" episode? Maybe I was just in the wrong mood, but I have to confess that I had a pretty strong gag reflex to almost everything this week. This is the first time I've felt like walking away and not looking back. :(

It was definitely gratuitously ugly/abrasive in a specific way that Lynch can be occasionally, and which I don't like (FWWM would NOT be an example of this, for example; WAH, to some extent anyway, would). I started the episode excited by the further momentum of everything and Richard being tied back in, but by the end I felt very disgusted. To paraphrase Mr. Eddy, it out-uglied even Episode 6. Not a bad hour, but in dire need of at least some of the warmth that was so beautifully on display in last week's great Part 9. This was easily the worst part thus far.
Last edited by David Locke on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
garethw
RR Diner Member
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Deep River

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby garethw » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:59 pm

twin-b wrote:I'm choosing to believe that Diane is not really dirty. I think this is a red herring.

There was speculation about the text message being upper and lowercase when DoppelCoop sent it and then all-caps when Diane received it, right? Like maybe it went through an intermediary. I also think this is the Mexico thing. I think Coop is in South Dakota but he texted someone in Mexico and then that person texted Diane. She doesn't know it's DoppelCoop. (I hope.)


Ahh. That does make some kind of sense. I was thinking that there was an intermediary, but I never thought of the lower/upper case difference as an indicator of it.

I also wondered if "We used to smoke together, Diane, didn't we?" was Gordon setting a trap.
User avatar
blue_tomorrows
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Postby blue_tomorrows » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:59 pm

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
trismegistus wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:A bit disappointed in some of the characters tonight:

  • Diane for being duplicitous. I guess we don't know anything about her background, but what would be her motivation for working with DoppelCooper? The interrogation room scene was one of the most effectively disturbing of the new series - are we now supposed to assume that it was an act? Or did he somehow hypnotize her with that text message being the activation phrase?
  • Janey for getting sidetracked from Dougie's obviously barely-there behavior after seeing him with his shirt off, and this when she presumably knows that he's recently been cheating on her.
  • Carl Rodd for not doing anything when he hears Becky fighting with her husband.
  • Ben for going back to his philandering ways after an argument with Sylvia (he does know that Beverly is married, after all).


All of these examples seem like normal human behavior to me.


I'm not saying the behavior isn't understandable in some ways or that it makes it a bad episode, just that, as others pointed out, evil seemed to be racking up all the wins in this episode and even some of the secondary characters were largely failing to apply whatever intelligence or ethics they might possess.

Regarding Diane, I don't think most normal people would want anything to do with somebody like DoppelCooper, much less cover for him over the space of 25 years. Unless she was corrupt even before the events of the original series, e.g. selling FBI information to criminals or something, I don't see what she's getting out of this.

Janey's reaction makes her seem like she just isn't very bright or doesn't have much self-respect and simply dismisses all the weirdness and (apparent) deception of the past week or so when Dougie has a couple of superficially "alpha male" moments. But what we saw of her until now doesn't really seem consistent with that interpretation of her character.

Carl did seem kind of apathetic and self-centered in FWWM, so in that sense his behavior in this episode isn't a total surprise. Though he did seem to care about the little boy getting run over and want to comfort the mother, so I would have thought he might do something about Becky's situation. (I guess it's possible he's already tried and the cops didn't do anything due to lack of evidence, or Becky covered for her husband, or something like that.)

As for Ben, I guess I just hoped he'd turned over a new leaf after he turned Beverly down last time we saw her.


I have to say that Janey-E acting that way in the context of this episode also really undermined one of the VERY few female characters in this show with any intelligence or self-respect.

Return to “Parts Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests