Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by garethw »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
Esselgee wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:

Maybe its Philip Jeffries, after 25 years of aging.
It could be Sam Stanley! He wore glasses and had a similar trench coat.
I'd estimate that the glass box is worth $4,000.
*golf clap*. Nice.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Heh. I had to rotate the image and it still shows where I'd paused it~
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Framed_Angel wrote:Image

Well, there goes my Gardenback theory. Thanks for posting!
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

blue_tomorrows wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:
trismegistus wrote:
All of these examples seem like normal human behavior to me.
I'm not saying the behavior isn't understandable in some ways or that it makes it a bad episode, just that, as others pointed out, evil seemed to be racking up all the wins in this episode and even some of the secondary characters were largely failing to apply whatever intelligence or ethics they might possess.

Regarding Diane, I don't think most normal people would want anything to do with somebody like DoppelCooper, much less cover for him over the space of 25 years. Unless she was corrupt even before the events of the original series, e.g. selling FBI information to criminals or something, I don't see what she's getting out of this.

Janey's reaction makes her seem like she just isn't very bright or doesn't have much self-respect and simply dismisses all the weirdness and (apparent) deception of the past week or so when Dougie has a couple of superficially "alpha male" moments. But what we saw of her until now doesn't really seem consistent with that interpretation of her character.

Carl did seem kind of apathetic and self-centered in FWWM, so in that sense his behavior in this episode isn't a total surprise. Though he did seem to care about the little boy getting run over and want to comfort the mother, so I would have thought he might do something about Becky's situation. (I guess it's possible he's already tried and the cops didn't do anything due to lack of evidence, or Becky covered for her husband, or something like that.)

As for Ben, I guess I just hoped he'd turned over a new leaf after he turned Beverly down last time we saw her.
I have to say that Janey-E acting that way in the context of this episode also really undermined one of the VERY few female characters in this show with any intelligence or self-respect.
Because being sexually attracted to your husband is a signifier that you lack self-respect? I know plenty of intelligent and self-respecting people who will go stupid in a manner of seconds once their hormones kick in after an attractive stranger walks by.
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

Framed_Angel wrote:Image

You know, David Lynch could probably stick that up on ebay and someone would pay $100,000 for it. Then spend the next 20 years telling all their friends how it expressed the ambivalent feelings of inner rage and joy, simultaneously or something.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Audrey Horne wrote:Narratively, why on earth would writers Lynch and Frost have Doc Hayward mention Cooper visit Audrey when the Sheriff character is trying to get to the bottom of things? Why not just say, "after Cooper was checked up, I saw that same look again?"

And clearly Richard didn't get much love as a child. Hard to see Audrey abandoning her child, but I can totally see Ben not wanting anything to do with a "bastard" grandchild.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

A floating monk?
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

JohnPalSki wrote:Another moment of joy and warmth:

NADINE drinking that shake.

And those drapes opening and closing. And Run Silent Run Drapes!!!
Yeah, I thought that was kind of sweet. Given that her dashed drape dreams drove her to a suicide attempt, I was glad that she'd made them come true after all.

I'm surprised we haven't seen Big Ed yet. There is a promo shot of him sitting at a desk in a darkened room, drinking from a coffee mug, isn't there? I think it was in the same promo with Sarah in a supermarket. I think those are the only two official clips that haven't been in the show yet, no?

I think we're going to see more of the older characters in the coming weeks, per the Log Lady's monolog.
JohnPalSki
Roadhouse Member

Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by JohnPalSki »

Ok I rewatched the hotel room scene.
Albert says the text about the dinner table pinged from Philly, and that Tammy traced it back to a server in Mexico. Seems to be an intermediary involved.
Then he says her response about Hastings was heavily encrypted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And, it appears there's someone else in the room in that pic. Standing behind the bald floating monk (hahaha)Image
Last edited by JohnPalSki on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Pal
---------------------
"Don't expect a turkey dog here."
blue_tomorrows
Roadhouse Member

Post by blue_tomorrows »

trismegistus wrote:
blue_tomorrows wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:
I'm not saying the behavior isn't understandable in some ways or that it makes it a bad episode, just that, as others pointed out, evil seemed to be racking up all the wins in this episode and even some of the secondary characters were largely failing to apply whatever intelligence or ethics they might possess.

Regarding Diane, I don't think most normal people would want anything to do with somebody like DoppelCooper, much less cover for him over the space of 25 years. Unless she was corrupt even before the events of the original series, e.g. selling FBI information to criminals or something, I don't see what she's getting out of this.

Janey's reaction makes her seem like she just isn't very bright or doesn't have much self-respect and simply dismisses all the weirdness and (apparent) deception of the past week or so when Dougie has a couple of superficially "alpha male" moments. But what we saw of her until now doesn't really seem consistent with that interpretation of her character.

Carl did seem kind of apathetic and self-centered in FWWM, so in that sense his behavior in this episode isn't a total surprise. Though he did seem to care about the little boy getting run over and want to comfort the mother, so I would have thought he might do something about Becky's situation. (I guess it's possible he's already tried and the cops didn't do anything due to lack of evidence, or Becky covered for her husband, or something like that.)

As for Ben, I guess I just hoped he'd turned over a new leaf after he turned Beverly down last time we saw her.
I have to say that Janey-E acting that way in the context of this episode also really undermined one of the VERY few female characters in this show with any intelligence or self-respect.
Because being sexually attracted to your husband is a signifier that you lack self-respect? I know plenty of intelligent and self-respecting people who will go stupid in a manner of seconds once their hormones kick in after an attractive stranger walks by.
No, it wasn't that -- it was the fact that she FINALLY takes him to the doctor and then doesn't seem to want to talk about any of the incredibly strange behavior he's been exhibiting.
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

I thought there was plenty to laugh about in this episode:
- Gordon and Tammy observing Albert and Constance
- Jane-E getting aroused by Dougies good looks
- Dougier´s shit-eating grin after having sex
- Jane-E´s recounting of the Ike- the Spike-attack on the news
- Janey-E asks Dougie if he finds her attractive and he´s just eating chocolate cake
- Knepper and Belushi getting more and more annoyed by Candy
- Lucy´s story about no longer knowing what time it was
- Dr. Jacoby´s rant and Nadine´s store
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Still not convinced Evil Coop is actually a billionaire. But it looks like people were right to make the connection between Experiment/Mother/the playing card. "This is what I'm looking for." The box was meant to trap it? Or just capture it's image, for some reason.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

garethw wrote:

NADINE drinking that shake.

And those drapes opening and closing. And Run Silent Run Drapes!!!
Yeah, I thought that was kind of sweet. Given that her dashed drape dreams drove her to a suicide attempt, I was glad that she'd made them come true after all.

I'm surprised we haven't seen Big Ed yet. There is a promo shot of him sitting at a desk in a darkened room, drinking from a coffee mug, isn't there? I think it was in the same promo with Sarah in a supermarket. I think those are the only two official clips that haven't been in the show yet, no?

I think we're going to see more of the older characters in the coming weeks, per the Log Lady's monolog.
there are quite a lot more, see thread: http://dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3659
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

garethw wrote:
We haven't seen (what looks like) Cooper in the car with the lights behind him, have we?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

BGate wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:Narratively, why on earth would writers Lynch and Frost have Doc Hayward mention Cooper visit Audrey when the Sheriff character is trying to get to the bottom of things? Why not just say, "after Cooper was checked up, I saw that same look again?"

And clearly Richard didn't get much love as a child. Hard to see Audrey abandoning her child, but I can totally see Ben not wanting anything to do with a "bastard" grandchild.
That's why I could see Audrey still in some sort of coma sleep for twenty five years (even if it's not real life practical). ...like Cooper also asleep from the real world.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?